New entry level coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
just get the new jrz rs-1s those are affordable and they are meant for street driving and occasional track. haha but yea the only cheap coilover i would get are kw v1s and the suspension technique ones. which happen to be the same exact coilover. just different material (ss). THey dont have anything for the GRs though
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Go to youtube and type in "chinese crash test"

They can't even make toys that won't try to kill kids, yu think i'd get behind the wheel of one of those??
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Ya I remember when you first got those and installed them on the Poope-S shop EVO and immediately had 2 blow out on the first track day lol
Ah but do you remember when we installed the turbo from China on the Evo? they forgot it was reverse scroll and 6 pulls in on C16 the nut spun of the compressor wheel and threw the wheel into the airbox, that was one of the most classic dyno sessions I have ever done!

Oddly enough that turbo is now available on the market just in Subaru format so reverse scroll is not an issue. What's even funnier is what people are paying for it!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
They have been doing it with trucks...

How the hell do they get away with this crap.

Seriously. People need to stop sending stuff overseas. Pay the extra dough and do it in the U.S. where people can't steal your patents and put you out of business.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Car Info: subaru legacy, 01 4eat
Why can't answer my basic question?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by Hoofus
There's a couple of variables to be honest, it would depend on what the shock being used is valved for and whether or not the spring used would be lower than the intended shock's travel.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 2008 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by steve01982
So I have also been contumplating doing coil overs as well, but after reading this I am probably going to go with a set of Koni's. My question is I already have a set of tein springs on it. Unfortunetly I do not know whick ones because they were put on by the previous owner. Should I keep them and run them with the Koni's or get new springs. Also when I do get them where should I have them done at? I was also debating on going with a set of KYB's as well but wasn't sure. My stock struts are shot and leaking so I am probably going to need them done sooner then later
Any help at all??
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
get new springs. wait you have a 2008 wrx, just get the RCE billsteins and spring combo. they do their homework on those can provide you with all the info including shock dynos. the downside to the best handling spring/strut combo, is the price. They are the same price as the cheap coilovers out there. SO your choice if you wanna slam the car get the cheap coils. If you dont want to spend 3 gs for real coilovers get the billsteins
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Seeings how there is spring rates mentioned here.

What would be a good rate for a car running an EG33 used as a DD?
I'm thinking 6/5 or 6/4?
Thoughts?
Slightly stiffer than stock but not spine breaking is my goal.

umm, if I follow you, youre asking whats the best spring rates for your 01 legacy with a an EG33 motor swap, which probably no one here even knows about, and in a thread thats not even related to what your asking, oh and you expected an answer to this "basic" question in less than an hour.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
banned

Hotlap in an EG33/GT35R GC8 - now includes build info - NASIOC
EG33 in a GC...
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM
banned

Any help at all??
Tein springs are not all the good from the get go. They will not work well with any strut you use. I would go the recommended route and not go cheap coil over..
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM

So I have also been contumplating doing coil overs as well, but after reading this I am probably going to go with a set of Koni's. My question is I already have a set of tein springs on it. Unfortunetly I do not know whick ones because they were put on by the previous owner. Should I keep them and run them with the Koni's or get new springs. Also when I do get them where should I have them done at? I was also debating on going with a set of KYB's as well but wasn't sure. My stock struts are shot and leaking so I am probably going to need them done sooner then later
teins should have their part number printed on them so just check those on google, its most likely either S-techs (low stiff) or H-techs (not so low not as stiff). Theres better springs out there then Teins but if your happy with the drop and the ride then Konis can only make them better if your riding around on blown stock struts. The really only benefit KYBs have over Konis is price, so if you were already okay with what Konis cost then get them for sure. You'll never hear anyone say they regretted getting Konis instead of KYBs
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by old.guy
I hear we're going to start importing cereal from China too.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
I did the BC coilovers (Helix DNAs) for a few years. At the pricepoint they served me well, I tracked and Autoxed them for 5 years (with no failures or leaks) and won a few events. They are fully height adjustable and have built in camber plates... however, as soon as you get onto San Francisco roads it all turns to crapola. Very harsh ride, lots of banging etc.

In short, if you want to do some track, autox, hellaflush, spirited road driving etc.. they are way better than stock or just springs, and they seem to last pretty well too, but if you want to race seriously you might want to wait and save up for better
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Car Info: Black Car
What is something that can perform well and not feel like crap in SF?

Quick Reply: New entry level coilover