New entry level coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 2016 STI
Yeah, you can only be so soft in rate when your suspension travel is extremely limited.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by old.guy
I do not think it comes down to one driver/guy doing his homework .... This is a group effort in what is everyone else is doing. Marketing and Engineering team... What does the public want for their street cars. As a lot of coil over systems are sold as track use. Which is why people hate them on the street. They are too over sprung and stiff.

These guys are going soft to fill that market of I want a coil over, But I dont want to get beat in the seat. Which is also why I stated that you will run a risk of fender / tire contact.
Exactly!

My Zeals were 12k/16k. But they were valved for it. STIFF as **** but handled like crazy. Too much for street driving. WAAAAAY to much. I'd put 8/6 as the limit for most people.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
If the shock is valved correctly you can run a softer spring. All the spring is doing is holding the car up and resisting weight transfer.

Even with motorcycles, the valving is much more important than the spring rate. You should know that.

Swift springs can be shorter than other brands and not get into coilbind, that is what the ad means by increasing travel and having a good ride. When a coil sits on top of the one below it the spring rates increase and you feel harshness cause the shock isn't valved for that increase in spring rate. And when you use cheap springs you need to have stiffer springs to avoid coilbind and harshness.

Odi has delt much more with suspensions than most anyone out there. And if you have ever called him to buy replacement parts, he will make sure you need it before he sells it to you.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI
I'm also pretty sure Odi doesn't have a big shop, seeming that he alone answers the phone.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Those spring rates are soft........ But what sets these apart from any of the other brands out there. They sound no different then the Tein Flexs, Which you could buy a set used and have them rebuilt for less then these new, Then also have the option to have the edfc.

Not doggin them. Just wondering why you guys like them.

Ive said it before, but you can get new koni yellows for around $650, put whatever springs/perches/camber plates you want on them and for about $1100-1200 have a set of coilovers that will out perform, and probably ride better, than anything under at least $2K, all for the price of Taiwanese coils.
seriously dont know why anyone would buy BCs for the nearly the same money?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Ive said it before, but you can get new koni yellows for around $650, put whatever springs/perches/camber plates you want on them and for about $1100-1200 have a set of coilovers that will out perform, and probably ride better, than anything under at least $2K, all for the price of Taiwanese coil.

Most of the people that those coil overs are selling too are people interested in ride height/looks first. Handling much farther down the line.

I'm with you a 100%. A properly assembled strut/spring combo with out ride and out handle pretty much any cheap coil over and it'll last longer and be more trouble free.

Too bad my dumb *** had to do 4 spring/coil set ups to figure out koni FTW!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Ive said it before, but you can get new koni yellows for around $650, put whatever springs/perches/camber plates you want on them and for about $1100-1200 have a set of coilovers that will out perform, and probably ride better, than anything under at least $2K, all for the price of Taiwanese coils.
qft

I plan on getting a Koni/ground control set-up soon. When I bought my BCs I got them used for a bit less than a Koni/GC set-up. I should have listened to Gagan when he told me to not buy the BCs.

ProTip: If someone is lecturing you on suspension while wearing a SCCA Champion jacket. LISTEN TO THEM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
I know and your right. But I think it comes down to offset clearance. You can run a wider rim on a cheap coil over. And if you can run a wider rim, This means you can run a super narrow tire and use crazy amounts of camber. All with out hitting the strut body.

Suspension and brakes are nothing without a good tire anyways. If you have $6500 motons and run nukoogo tires ..... Your going to come up short. Just the same as running Alcons and 380mm rotors. You run cheap *** tires... Your going to come up short.

Its more then coil overs, springs, valving and camber plates.... Least if you want to go fast, If your making u turns and pitting in at In and Out Burger.. Cheap coil overs are not going to slow you down. The drive way and your front lip is..
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
TIC SSTs coilovers also have 7k/5k spring rates. Same thing with the RCE T2 and the optional comfort spring rates.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
For the record... I am only hating if you have a bicycle on your roof. And do not ride it. Other then that... Your car is a expression of yourself.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
qft

I plan on getting a Koni/ground control set-up soon. When I bought my BCs I got them used for a bit less than a Koni/GC set-up. I should have listened to Gagan when he told me to not buy the BCs.

ProTip: If someone is lecturing you on suspension while wearing a SCCA Champion jacket. LISTEN TO THEM.
Yeah Gagan knows his ****.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:00 PM
General Pimpin'

For the record... I am only hating if you have a bicycle on your roof. And do not ride it. Other then that... Your car is a expression of yourself.

werd son... werd!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
But... but... What if one of the reasons why I don't like my BCs is because they don't go low enough?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Car Info: 90 325is
Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
But... but... What if one of the reasons why I don't like my BCs is because they don't go low enough?
"Slow and Low, that is the tempo."

You know that our suspension geometry is really not designed to go very low at all (especially the 08+ models like you have). You can buy additional parts to help correct a bit of the suspension geometry, but that will only help to a point. Going too low will take the car out of the proper range of motion (the same would hold true if you raised the car too high).

For how low you really want to take your car, you may as well consider an air ride suspension (air bags).

Unfortunately Subaru's just aren't meant to be dumped. I know what it is like to ride in a Subaru that is too low and the comfort level just goes to hell. I'm far happier with my setup now than I was when I was on coilovers.

You're right though ... You should have listened to Gagan.

Quick Reply: New entry level coilover