New entry level coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by y0gfx
What is something that can perform well and not feel like crap in SF?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Lil' Slugger

Car Info: 05 WRB STi Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by glenspen
I did the BC coilovers (Helix DNAs) for a few years. At the pricepoint they served me well, I tracked and Autoxed them for 5 years (with no failures or leaks) and won a few events. They are fully height adjustable and have built in camber plates... however, as soon as you get onto San Francisco roads it all turns to crapola. Very harsh ride, lots of banging etc.

In short, if you want to do some track, autox, hellaflush, spirited road driving etc.. they are way better than stock or just springs, and they seem to last pretty well too, but if you want to race seriously you might want to wait and save up for better
+1 on this...I've had my BC's for almost 3 years, 60k+ miles and there are only a few corners where I miss having my spec-c struts/springs (I know someones gonna call me crazy) because the BC's don't have much suspension travel so on a few tight corners my inside rear wheel may skip, whereas the spec-cs would get me some fun oversteer

Otherwise I love how planted and stable coilovers make a car feel - zero body roll I guess is what I like

Btw I also have sti lca, street alk and a bigger rear sway bar so YMMV
Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Oh and my girlfriend hates the ride in my car cuz she can't do her makeup haha but I have no problems with the ride and I've got a pretty bad back
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 AM
banned

Originally Posted by slugrx
+1 on this...I've had my BC's for almost 3 years, 60k+ miles and there are only a few corners where I miss having my spec-c struts/springs (I know someones gonna call me crazy) because the BC's don't have much suspension travel so on a few tight corners my inside rear wheel may skip, whereas the spec-cs would get me some fun oversteer

Otherwise I love how planted and stable coilovers make a car feel - zero body roll I guess is what I like

Part of that could be because of the lower center of gravity. Lower is almost always going feel better in corners. Doesn't mean its doing its job as it should.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 09 STi hatch
Originally Posted by glenspen
I did the BC coilovers (Helix DNAs) for a few years. At the pricepoint they served me well, I tracked and Autoxed them for 5 years (with no failures or leaks) and won a few events. They are fully height adjustable and have built in camber plates... however, as soon as you get onto San Francisco roads it all turns to crapola. Very harsh ride, lots of banging etc.

In short, if you want to do some track, autox, hellaflush, spirited road driving etc.. they are way better than stock or just springs, and they seem to last pretty well too, but if you want to race seriously you might want to wait and save up for better
Great info thanks. Need more like this instead of "BCs are crap because they are made in Taiwan" response.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by old.guy
Part of that could be because of the lower center of gravity. Lower is almost always going feel better in corners. Doesn't mean its doing its job as it should.
I have about a finger or two gap on 225/40/18s ha I'm not that much lower than I was when I had the spec-cs on a 225/45/17
Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.

Let me guess... high speed sweepers....
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Let me guess... high speed sweepers....
Exact opposite haha, on quick almost 90 degree turns it'll just bounce and skip, high speed turns like 17 are better with coilovers imo haha
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
General Pimpin'

Exact opposite haha, on quick almost 90 degree turns it'll just bounce and skip, high speed turns like 17 are better with coilovers imo haha
Crazy. Makes sense though.

I just know with the spec C stuff I LOVED my car in the high speed stuff. Struts just eat it up. But yeah I can see how you'd have issue with the tight stuff. I can fix that... haaa.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by drewg13
Great info thanks. Need more like this instead of "BCs are crap because they are made in Taiwan" response.
no... they are crap because their adjuster doesn't do ****, their shocks aren't valved properly to the springs which aren't within even 10% of their value, and they don't give you shock dyno figures to show you what the shock actually does. Not even an average one...

It has nothing with them being made is Taiwan... it has everything to do with them being made as cheap, yet flashy as possible as to extract the maximum profit from their sale.

I've raced an Audi on Ohlins with something like 12k springs, a EF civic with 10k springs on Koni 2800 shocks, S2000 on custom valved bilsteins, and a Datsun 1200 on Penskes... They all ride like butter. Shocks matter so much. Those BC and BC like coilovers are utter garbage.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Well Fortune Auto provides dyno plots of their coilovers

Fortune Auto coilovers? - NASIOC

I have no clue how to read them though
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Car Info: 09 STi hatch
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
no... they are crap because their adjuster doesn't do ****, their shocks aren't valved properly to the springs which aren't within even 10% of their value, and they don't give you shock dyno figures to show you what the shock actually does. Not even an average one...

It has nothing with them being made is Taiwan... it has everything to do with them being made as cheap, yet flashy as possible as to extract the maximum profit from their sale.

I've raced an Audi on Ohlins with something like 12k springs, a EF civic with 10k springs on Koni 2800 shocks, S2000 on custom valved bilsteins, and a Datsun 1200 on Penskes... They all ride like butter. Shocks matter so much. Those BC and BC like coilovers are utter garbage.
Sounds like you do have very good basis for comparison. So here's the big question. What is your personal experience with BC coils?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
banned

While everything you say is very true. My set up works and rides great on the track.(teins /revavled/resprung) And ok on the street but I accept that trade off. And my lack of real bushings also take ride quality away. (built motons going in this summer)

As far as coilovers, street vs track there is totally different vehical dynamics at work. Track you have much more speed and downforce among other things working on the car. Street, Rolling stop light to stop light not so much. Hell even the road surface in California would scare me away from coilovers.

But yes, These are cheap and made for one reason, Profit And most the public is out for cost not shock dyno charts. As crappy as that is. Its funny that the reviews for cheap coilovers are not as bad as they should be. I think people are pre warned that the ride is going to suck and they accept that for their give style or look they want. Not knowing it could be a lot better if they spent a little bit more money.

Last edited by old.guy; 02-07-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM
General Pimpin'

werd

Quick Reply: New entry level coilover