Need help finding a location for our 9th annual "Mt Hamilton" meet! Help us please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by brucelee
I'll use Quarry lakes if it is my last and only option. I'm not going to make people pay $5 to get into a parking lot. I know it has a lake, but its nothing special... Hell, it isn't even real. I dunno, maybe its because I love 3 mins from the lake.
You mean like we did at Hammy?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:55 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I kinda liked Quarry Lakes.

I thought the last year's event was actually quite successful.

But since you are so turned off my quarry lakes. I just want to throw in that a body of water near by should also be essential so that the area is cool and we aren't all dying from the heat.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
when is the mt hammy meet. i couldnt go last year. but i gotta make sur ei can get that day off.
It is usually a Sunday in August.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by rau
You mean like we did at Hammy?

You missed the point. $5 to get into hammy is worth it, and at least there is 9 miles of GREAT twisties that get you to the park entrance. $5 to get into quarry lakes seems like a rip off to me. I could understand if was fishing or boating, but to stand around in some parking lot in the middle of some suburban city, well, that doesn't seem like its worth it. At least if the area were remote and the party area was nicer, then it'd be worth it... But the facility reminds me of school... it's very "Public park"-like if that makes any sense. Hammy is remote, has a great road, and the picnic area is beautiful and secluded so we don't have to deal with other people, etc. There we get our own little area away from everyday BS.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
I'd say jack London state park but both lots combined are only like 200
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
why not hold it at the actual Mt. Hamilton like old times?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
what's wrong with mt hammy this year?
Thats a good question... Especially since the turnout of the event has been much lower then it was in 2006, which is the year we had just over 300 cars. If the event is anything like it was last year or the year before, we could swing hamilton again. I know everyone loved that location and everyone was bummed when we didn't do it there...

damn, now you have me thinking. Maybe if we have ALL subies and ONLY subies it will cut out some cars and make more room for parking. Maybe even encourage some folks to caravan... Then we could pull it off.

I think the turnout is going to be much bigger then last year, especially since there are 3 of us putting planning effort into it which will give us more events and fun things then with one person planning the whole thing.

Let me talk with Gagan about Hamilton since he's been there every single year that I have been throwing it (maybe he missed one)... He knows how the parking thing is because I always put him in charge of parking detail.

I wonder if the carpool thing would work... After all. people aren't there for the cars... The main reason is the festival/people/music/events, well, that and the show cars that everyone can check out. I figure the folks with stock cars can caravan with people that have modded cars... No one is going to be checking out stock cars anyway. They can save on gas and entry that way too.

Damn you Leo, now I have this idea in my head!

PS: There is a body of water right across the street from the park on Hamilton. It's called "Eagle lake" or something like that. It's not giant or anything, but its a body of water.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
why not hold it at the actual Mt. Hamilton like old times?
See above.

I got asked that question by about 20 people at last years event.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I'm confused I thought Gagan was going to organize this? Whats going on? lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 AM

"above" you never stated why we don't go back to it.

All I could find was the, "$5 to get into hammy is worth it, and at least there is 9 miles of GREAT twisties that get you to the park entrance. "
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 AM

"above" you never stated why we don't go back to it.

All I could find was the, "$5 to get into hammy is worth it, and at least there is 9 miles of GREAT twisties that get you to the park entrance. "
Sorry... the reason is because we outgrew it. 300+ cars in a parking lot that holds like 290 cars at MAXIMUM... We had to park illegally in several locations to fit everyone. The last two years haven't been as big as the 300+ car one in 2006. Hell, last year during the quarry lakes meet we had a VERY low turnout compared to previous years. If that trend keeps up, which it wont since we're putting a ton of effort into this one, then we wouldn't have problems.

Thats why I was saying if people carpooled then we could do it.

Gagan is doing it this year... But so am I, and so is Jourdan... All 3 of us putting out efforts into it will make it GREAT!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Thats a good question... Especially since the turnout of the event has been much lower then it was in 2006, which is the year we had just over 300 cars. If the event is anything like it was last year or the year before, we could swing hamilton again. I know everyone loved that location and everyone was bummed when we didn't do it there...
Was I on crack or something when I thought there were about 400 cars at Quarry lakes?

damn, now you have me thinking. Maybe if we have ALL subies and ONLY subies it will cut out some cars and make more room for parking. Maybe even encourage some folks to caravan... Then we could pull it off.
And I kinda disagree with this for fairly obvious reasons...

PS: There is a body of water right across the street from the park on Hamilton. It's called "Eagle lake" or something like that. It's not giant or anything, but its a body of water.
The point I was trying to get across was a body of water that would cool the area. Hamilton is hot as hell in August. You know that. Quarry Lakes is a lot cooler than Hamilton. I think a low temperature location is key.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 AM

Jourdan, low temps don't happen in August lol
Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Was I on crack or something when I thought there were about 400 cars at Quarry lakes?

And I kinda disagree with this for fairly obvious reasons...

The point I was trying to get across was a body of water that would cool the area. Hamilton is hot as hell in August. You know that. Quarry Lakes is a lot cooler than Hamilton. I think a low temperature location is key.

I wasn't really being serious about only subies, I was just saying that we would have to do that to fit every car in.

There were not 400 cars at quarry lakes, not even close. I might be having my numbers mixed up, but the meet 2 years ago was the biggest we've ever had... In terms of cars, and in terms of people. A lot of people brought someone with them which left us with 500+ people.

And like I said in PM and in this thread, public parks like quarry lakes which are located in the heart of large cities just aren't as desirable... With Mt Hamilton we have to rent the area in which we are in (Rose garden), as much as it sucks to have to pay, its well worth it. The price isn't bad at all, and for that we get privacy, parking, electricity, private bathrooms, refrigeration, running water (hose and bathrooms) and an indoor dining room where we keep all the food (away from bugs, heat, people). The area in which we rent is also beautiful and people appreciate it.

In terms of heat... A hot day is a hot day. The days we picked just happened to be on heat wave days... we did anywhere from sept to aug, and yet every year we managed to hit the hottest day of the year... It wouldn't matter if you were in Fremont or Hamilton, it would still be 5-10 degrees of each other. One year it was 113, but in fremont it was 105.

It all depends on what day we pick, hopefully this time we pick a cool week since the last two hamilton days have been heatwaves. Its gotten cooler during the summer so hopefully its as cool as it was last summer (where we didnt have a heat wave), according to the pattern, it should be a cool year again.

So yeah, we're not going to do it at quarry lakes unless that is my one and only choice. It's not just me that didn't like the place (well, for a hammy annual event), there were a lot of others that came up to me personally during the event and asked/suggested something about doing hamilton next year because they didn't like QL. dude, the place is 3 mins from my house, for a normal meet I'd be all over it, but not for an annual meet... We all want some place really nice since it only happens once a year.

If you want to organize a non-annual meet there, be my guest, I'd totally show up... But everyone already has been spoiled by hammy... It's like going from 3 ply toilet paper to 1 ply toilet paper... 1 ply still works but 3 ply is better.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 AM

Jourdan, low temps don't happen in August lol
Normally, yes... But last year was cool overall and we didn't have a heat wave as intense as previous years. That's supposed to happen again this year again apparently.

Who knows, we may throw it in late June, it's too early to tell

Quick Reply: Need help finding a location for our 9th annual "Mt Hamilton" meet! Help us please!