Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
I need the cliff notes
Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I got pulled over lots = one ticket

I crashed once = two tickets

3 tickets = 4 points
Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 AM

Car Info: 05 sti
4 points, yikes!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
20 year old Japanese male.

- 2002 PSM WRX Sedan

- what mods can be seen from outside?
EDM HIDs, lowered (not excessively), 6-spoke RS wheels, STi replica mesh fog covers (no STi on the mesh), STi hood scoop, MRT full 3" tip turbo back, 45% tint all around, V1 radar detector.

- how much louder is your car from stock?
Not a whole lot louder, I think the Prodrive axle back is louder than my MRT.

- how were you driving?
1) Cruising 50 in a 45 on a 2 lane road, with a black Yukon in front of me and a silver Integra on the left of me, yet he singled me out. Somehow I was going 65 (according to the cop), yet the Yukon was slowing down because they were making a right turn soon. Went to court, since I was a minor, Judge had it in for me, made some pretty sassy comments to me.

2) WOTing to get onto the freeway to get to work. Got me within 1/2 a mile of me gettin on the freeway. CHP didn't show up to court, got off.

3) Cruising at 3 AM morning of Black Friday going 60 in a 40 since there was not a single car around. Officer was pretty chill, cracked some jokes about Black Friday is already stealing all my money, so he doesn't need to take anymore. Was let off.

None of these, was I ever asked about modifications or such. I know I was speeding in all 3 events, and I admit that I broke the law, and each pull over is justifiable.

- what did the cop say/do?
1) Cop lied to me, said he saw neither the Yukon in front of me, nor the silver integra next to me. I had a friend in the car, who confirmed me that I wasn't seeing things, and there were both around me before I got pulled over. Also, he said there were 3 pedestrians on the sidewalks, yet couldn't point them out to me. (In San Ramon on Bollinger)

2) CHP saw me pull on the freeway WOTing, I got to 80 pretty quickly. Cop acted like he was my dad, since I was 16 at the time. (On 680 N right after the Crow Canyon on ramp)

3) CHP was extremely friendly. Joked around with me asking how black friday got its name, telling me he's driven over 110 on the road I was speeding on in his personal car, and how hard it is to not go over 40 when it's a 4 lane boulevard. (Somewhere in Arcadia)

Though, I'd like to add that I have been paced for 10+ miles by cops before. A lot of cops get tunnel vision when they see a Japanese import. There have been people swerving through traffic, honking at people because they're too impatient, and almost hitting multiple people, yet the cop just paces me completely oblivious to the guy that's actually creating a dangerous situation.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
21, Female
in an red mr2
just side skirts, front lip, lowered
the car is EXTREMELY loud, and runs around...low 13s high 12s
driving slow...very slow. i was getting onto the freeway and saw him before i even got on the onramp
he followed me for awhile, then pulled me over. i never did above 65.

Him: i'm pulling you over for a modified exhaust. can you pop your hood for me?
so i pop the hood.
Him: where is your engine? (dumbass)
Me: in the back
Him: oh go ahead and pop that for me
without any objections i pop the lid and he looks for 5 minutes and closes it again
Him: oh, i thought you were heavily modified with nos and everything, because your car is so loud. And you also gave gauges.
Me: oh...no...this car is just very very loud.
Him: oh okay, well sorry to trouble you miss.

they pull over cars that just LOOK and SOUND heavily modified. But they have NO idea what theyre looking at under the hood of a car. This car had some major work done to it...and he saw nada!! He wasnt doing it to be a jerk...he was nice. but that also coulda been cuz i'm a girl...of all 14 times ive been pulled over ive been let off 13 of those times...so iono...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
Originally Posted by PenguinPrincess
21, Female
in an red mr2
just side skirts, front lip, lowered
the car is EXTREMELY loud, and runs around...low 13s high 12s
driving slow...very slow. i was getting onto the freeway and saw him before i even got on the onramp
he followed me for awhile, then pulled me over. i never did above 65.

Him: i'm pulling you over for a modified exhaust. can you pop your hood for me?
so i pop the hood.
Him: where is your engine? (dumbass)
Me: in the back
Him: oh go ahead and pop that for me
without any objections i pop the lid and he looks for 5 minutes and closes it again
Him: oh, i thought you were heavily modified with nos and everything, because your car is so loud. And you also gave gauges.
Me: oh...no...this car is just very very loud.
Him: oh okay, well sorry to trouble you miss.

they pull over cars that just LOOK and SOUND heavily modified. But they have NO idea what theyre looking at under the hood of a car. This car had some major work done to it...and he saw nada!! He wasnt doing it to be a jerk...he was nice. but that also coulda been cuz i'm a girl...of all 14 times ive been pulled over ive been let off 13 of those times...so iono...
lol ....... where's ur engine .... in the back!!! hahahaa
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX
haha i know...they're idiots
Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 2006 STi
25 Male
-03 s2000
CIA, B&B triflow Catback exhaust
Loud, and screams at V-tec
never got a ticket or pulled over.

-92 Acura integra
stock engine, Greddy exhaust
not loud at all
got a fix it ticket on Capitol and Ocala
Cop say he is out to give fix-it tickets to all cars with modify exhaust.
It's funny because 2 weeks later my little brother got the same ticket plus no front license plate.

-2006 Audi A4
stock, 15% tinted all around
speeding ticket for exceeding 65 mph on 680 by berryessa
got the ticket right in front of my house.
my fault for speeding late night to go home.
CHP: why are you in a rush?
Me: I am low on gas.
CHP: so by speeding you're going to save gas?
Me: ummm...Yeah!
CHP: license and reg!
Me: **** OUT OF LUCK.

-2006 Sti
stock engine, TBE exhaust
been good so far. no tickets!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
haha i know...they're idiots
lol +1

22/Male/White guy - but looks mexican to most

If you have NOT been pulled over:
- sedan or wagon?
98RS 2Dr coupe w/wrx swap. 99% stock looking

- what mods can be seen from outside?
4pot red calipers THATS IT!

- how much louder is your car from stock?
Pretty loud. Completely catless system with stromung dp, stromung 3rd cat eliminator, 2.5" midpipe w/no resonator, prodrive axleback (oval tip.) Pretty quiet at idle, but at WOT its loud!

I've never been looked at by cops, pulled over, or questioned about my car. I'm sure its a combination of me looking almost 100% bone stock (I don't have tint, big stickers, huge wing, or anything like that) and my car being pretty old and not like the new wrx/sti's. I don't even get revved on by retarded ricers

Last edited by Hatteroo; 01-31-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
- what did the cop say/do?
1) Cop lied to me, said he saw neither the Yukon in front of me, nor the silver integra next to me. I had a friend in the car, who confirmed me that I wasn't seeing things, and there were both around me before I got pulled over. Also, he said there were 3 pedestrians on the sidewalks, yet couldn't point them out to me. (In San Ramon on Bollinger)
fck san ramon, those guys are racist, i was driving around there back in high school, asian male dumped civic hatchback, cop pulls me over... "you're not from around here are you?" i could care less whether he was right or not, what kind of bull**** question is that? "no, my aunt lives in that big fat house right there though" he didnt have a reason to pull me over, that was his only real question... fggt
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by krzyxrevver12
fck san ramon, those guys are racist, i was driving around there back in high school, asian male dumped civic hatchback, cop pulls me over... "you're not from around here are you?" i could care less whether he was right or not, what kind of bull**** question is that? "no, my aunt lives in that big fat house right there though" he didnt have a reason to pull me over, that was his only real question... fggt
Wait....so thats NOT you in your avatar??
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Car Info: N/A
While test driving my '05 SRT-4, I pulled out of the lot and immediately had some dude in a suped up '68 Camaro revving at me. I just gave him this "are you fncking serious?" look. He smiled.

After he took off in a cloud of white smoke, I turn left down this street and get some ricer revving at me. I practically throw my hands up like "what the hell is going on?" and turn at the light, letting the guy rice off into the distance.

At this point, I decide my test drive is over. I really liked the ride of the car, the feel...everything was great, but I knew some changes needed to be made.

On the way home, the very next day, I decided to stop by my mom's (she's on the way back to my place, but about 2-3 hours away) and say Hi. She needs help with picking some stuff up, so I run out to the store...and while sitting at a dead stop, waiting for someone in front of me to turn, some lady comes flying up on my *** in a 90's Explorer and smashes the back of me.

While in the body shop, I request my trunk to be swapped with a stock Neon lid and to have it debadged. Since driving without the wing and badges, I get maybe ONE or two people a year trying to race.

As far as visible mods go: 20% tint all around and lowered on coilovers. Cops rarely look at me now...and the ricers just drive by. It's awesome.

Cliff notes: Neon SRT-4 with wing = attention, without = regular Neon and people ignore you.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
My current Visible mods:

04 STi
- wingless,debadged trunk
- wrx sideskirts with JDM side strakes
- helix DP with 3" custom exhaust, no muffler, no cats, no resonators just piping all the way back! EXTREMELY LOUD
- painted and cleared headlights
- JDM taillight mod
- lowered on BC coilovers
- Painted BBS' (White)

been pulled over 3 times

1. rolling stop at a stop sign. given a warning

2. going 50 in a 40, mckee rd. ticket because they had the gun on me.

3. first day I got my exhaust got pulled over leaving my work in downtown sj. cops exact words "WTF you think you're doing drving 60mph with no f*cking muffler!" in reality i was doing about 20-25mph. weird thing is he let me off with a warning. the next day I painted the exhaust with Hi-temp paint and havent had a problem.

I think a lot of it has to do with your driving habits. I rarely go over 70 on the freeway and don't drive like an asshat. back when i had the STi wing the car got a lot more attention and that was when it was stock. cops would trail me or some honda would rev at me at a light or whatnot. now the car is pretty much a sleeper except for the exhaust. just get into good driving habits and you should be fine.

Last edited by NorCalBugEye; 01-31-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 05 sti
...of all 14 times ive been pulled over ive been let off 13 of those times...so iono...
Penguin, you have to teach my gf your skills! she's been pulled over twice....and got a ticket both times. I think she even pulled the crying act too.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
Wait....so thats NOT you in your avatar??

Quick Reply: Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?