Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 M3
Talking

Originally Posted by gmodc7
21 yo male
silver saabaru wagon out of state registration
up dp carbon ti coilovers gold enkei rpf1 35/20 tint and more, but thats all that matters to cops...its sorta loud visually and audibly
4 times pulled over in this car, 4 times in california

1 time up mt hammy sherrif stopped us for "racing" let us off with a warning

1 other time i cant even remember...it must have been something minor...no ticket

1 time in tahoe, 75 in 45 and passing in center turn lane on 2 lane hwy, cop let me off *miracle*

1 time santa clara pulled over for modified exhaust (i was brake torquing to test boost) he had me pop the hood, couldnt see anything, told me my exhaust was illegal "anything i think is annoying is illegal/too loud" told me to i had to register in cali if i plan on staying here, no ticket.

ive been very very lucky. cops were either very cool or i did something right. id highly suggest some tips on getting pulled over that were published in an old import tuner mag like 5 years ago...

turn off car once you stop and put your hands on the wheel with your front windows down and stay liek that until the cop is situated and comfortable. thats peace of mind for em in a hostile world, and i think they usually appreciate it. sure some of you do this anyways, but i think this has particularly helped, so if you dont do this stuff, check it out...
^ thats exactly what everyone should do i have some sherrif buddies along with some buddies in the pd and thats the first thing they tell me to do along with dropping their names
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Car Info: My Car
24 Human Male

'04 WRX sedan.
2004-
Visual mods were dropped on eibach pro kit springs, 18" 5Zigen FNO1RCs and angled tip injen catback.
Pulled over for doing 60 in a 45 canyon road. i got ticketed. cop says i was fastest so far that day. no questions asked about mods. pulled over by LAPD. LBPD gives me thumbs up.

2005-
Not a d@mn thang!

2006-
Visual mods: s203 lip replica, aerogaurds, rear strakes and aprons, dropped on crucial racing springs, rota G force rims and prodrive muffler.
pulled over on the 101 freeway in so.cal by female CHP. i was following a car going 85mph. she pulled me over and i got ticketed. she was really cool tho. no harrassment about any mods.

pulled over by LBPD for launching and burning out in the long beach harbor. told me that he suspects me being there to test out my car i admitted that to him..he then tells me to becareful because i may get hit by a semi truck. checks my record and tells me to have a good night. no questions ask about modifications. altho asked if my car is fast. i said yes that's why i am here...he laughs.

almost pulled over by signal hill cops. signal hill is a small city in long beach they have no jursidiction in LB. i turn onto the main street (PCH) on long beach side and i floor it. cop follows me and just turns on the siren horns but not the lights. i slow down and see that it's a signal hill police. so i continue to go about my business. cop turns back into signal hill.

Last edited by swift2fly; 07-17-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by swift2fly

almost pulled over by signal hill cops. signal hill is a small city in long beach they have no jursidiction in LB. i turn onto the main street (PCH) on long beach side and i floor it. cop follows me and just turns on the siren horns but not the lights. i slow down and see that it's a signal hill police. so i continue to go about my business. cop turns back into signal hill.
ha ha, owned!!! " i aint stopping ****!!! " :rotfl:
Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata
04 WRX Wagon
Lowered
Gold 17s
Red Front Brake Calipers
Loud Exhaust w/ Catless DP
06 STi Rear Diffuser
Sticker that says "You Just Got Beat By A Wagon!"

Pulled over for exhaust and was asked to pop the hood. At the time I had a GFB Stealth FX BOV. Got sent to the state ref because of that. I'm now in the process of making my car stand out less while maintaining its power/handling.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I have not been pulled over.

22 yr old male

99RS coupe

Visual mods:
Clear corners
Clear bumper lights
Clear sidemarkers
JDM tails
Brullen muffler
Lowered 1''

Car is probably about 40% louder than stock

Rolling on stock RS wheels with Azenis

Been running no front plate in the bay area since March 04..... no ticket (*knock on wood*)
Old 07-17-2006, 10:22 PM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
Originally Posted by mcdrama
damn ninja, I would be scurred of yoo!
Stunna fo lyfe!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
turn off car once you stop and put your hands on the wheel with your front windows down and stay liek that until the cop is situated and comfortable. thats peace of mind for em in a hostile world, and i think they usually appreciate it. sure some of you do this anyways, but i think this has particularly helped, so if you dont do this stuff, check it out...
^^^
this is exactly what I did the only time I got pulled over.
I was "testing" my car after I installed a light weight pulley, so I was "leaving rubber on the road" <-- what he said. Let go with just a warning. I told him I was testing my car because I just repaired my AC pulley. lol

white STi.
loud *** N1 style exhaust.
gold wheels.
lowered.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX PSM WAAGONE & 1967 vee dub squareback
2004 wrx wagon
18" mb boost wheels
uppipe in the mail, oakos shorty dp, cobb AP, borla hush catback, samco ic hoses, aps bpv, tinted only in the back (legal tint), not lowered YET!
I havent (knock on wood) gotten pulled over but have my plates ran on a weekly basis it seems. 25 year old mexican male
Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Black Car
Originally Posted by wm07
^^^
this is exactly what I did the only time I got pulled over.
I was "testing" my car after I installed a light weight pulley, so I was "leaving rubber on the road" <-- what he said. Let go with just a warning. I told him I was testing my car because I just repaired my AC pulley. lol
I did the same, but I still got the ticket....OOH and I've been running no front plate either.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM

asian male

mods at the time of being pulled over : 17" rims, sti v.1 lip, bosal single tip exhaust and hks downpipe.

about a year or two ago i got pulled over doing about 60 in traffic on the freeway. Got pulled on 101 by tully and story, first thing cop told me to do was hand him the keys, pop the hood, and step out. He poked around under my hood asking me if i knew my exhaust was modified. I told him i didn't know, i just got the car that way (bs). He stared straight at my hks downpipe without heatshield and continued to ask me if i race and do i think my car looked like a lancer. I told him "haha yeah sort of" and then he finally gave me my keys and let me go.

2nd time pulled over : just finished washing my car and drove it a couple blocks to get the water out of the cracks. Passed by a local park and a cop blocks me off. I asked him whats the matter officer and he asked me if i knew those guys who just finished doing donuts. I told him i had no idea and i live down the street. He asked for my license but i didn't even have it with me. Let me go

3rd time - sti v1 lip, aeroguards, oem rear lip, 17" rims : Was driving normally downtown looking for food. Cop steps out in front of car with radar. Asked me if i knew the speed limit, told him that i was actually lost and don't know. Clocked me at 45 in a 35 zone. He noticed my rear passenger didn't have his seatbelt on (stupid) and cited us both for that, warned me about the speeding. He continued to give me directions to the nearest food place. Started up my car right after with my catless 3" stromung dual tip (loud) and left.

out of the three times i've been pulled over in san jose, two times were because of profiling but the only time i wasn't, i was cited.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 PM

Car Info: nothing
21 yo male
silver saabaru wagon out of state registration
up dp carbon ti coilovers gold enkei rpf1 35/20 tint and more, but thats all that matters to cops...its sorta loud visually and audibly
4 times pulled over in this car, 4 times in california
oh yeah, i forgot, on top of all this, no front plate ever...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
I got pulled over when I first bought the STi. I took off the bright orange dealer plates, well because they are bright orange

The cop asked if it was mine, I said yes, the registration sticker is right there in the front window as the car is only 2 weeks old. He then said my wing was too big and blocked the sticker. Right....you couldnt see the sticker on the lower front windshield....my rear windows are tinted....because of a wing

I then lowered it, flashed 18" rims, 3" catless TBE, and generally drive over the speed limit. 22 y/o male but I look 25-26

No pull overs since

The evo isnt as descrete, so we'll see
Old 07-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Car Info: '21 STI
02 wrx sedan. I was lowered on the stock rims and I had the apexi gt-spec at the time. I was driving normally and apparently failed to yield to a pedestrian which was total bs. I was followed for about 4-5 blocks and then pulled over. Long story short, I was on my way to work and detained for 1 fkn hour and asked if I had any drugs/weapons on me and was affiliated with any asian gangs. :rotfl: I've had other incidents w/ the Santa Clara PD, but this was the most memorable.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Sedan
2 prodrive stickers.
Not that much - prodrive+turboXS exhaust

Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I want to get an idea of how the the cops pulling people over are profiling. Please post:

If you HAVE been pulled over:
- sedan or wagon?
- what mods can be seen from outside?
- how much louder is your car from stock?
- how were you driving?
- what did the cop say/do?

If you have NOT been pulled over:
- sedan or wagon?
- what mods can be seen from outside?
- how much louder is your car from stock?

For me I have not been pulled over in this car. I drive a totally stock wagon, but with aftermarket wheels stock size(I guess you can't see those while they're spinning...). Tinted windows, stock everything else. **Baby seat**. I'm a 30 something asian male. Got a scangauge and nav mounted.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
PSM 2005 STi

my ride:

6/16/06 -

pulled over while getting onto capitol expressway from 101. going 40 in a 45 zone. pulled over cuz i had an STi wing at the time. written up for my exhaust. my RSR ExMag exhaust. officer didn't even ask me to start the car. just looked under the hood and then gave me a ticket. lucky he wrote me down for 27150, thats the cvc code for inadequate muffler, and not the same as 27151 for having an aftermarket muffler that is louder than 95db. so i'm gonna fight it.

7/3/06 -

pulled over on 101 near story/tully for "speeding" in the carpool lane @ 2:50pm. he wrote me down for 75. i told him i was going 70 with cruise control. this is the dialogue between the office and i:

-i pulled you over for speeding. do you no how fast you were going?

-no, just with the flow of traffic.

-can i get your license, registration, and proof of insurance please? you weren't paying attention to your speedometer?

-(as i'm getting the requested items) no, i set the cruise control at 70 and thought that would be sufficient for the fast lane.

-ok *walks away and writes me up*

whole process takes 5 mins. quickest ticket written up for.

Quick Reply: Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?