Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
reason i think a lot of people are paranoid, the only time i got profiled was in my 91 civic hatchback back in high school, it was fully gutted, primered, dumped, and running headers out, yet i never got any fix its for it, just followed around a lot by cops....

23 Asian male
in my wrx sedan, external visible mods, usually Gold 17" sometimes 18" rims, blitz fmic, hks carbon ti, car was hella loud, medium tint all around, got pulled over on I-5 through the grapevine for 97 in a 70, i was actually going closer to 125mph... before cop gives me ticket, only for speeding, he goes to the front, i thought he was gonna give me ref for my fmic, but he just adds a no front plate, first and only no front plate ever, and i havent been running a front plate since i started driving on any of my cars

last year, still in my wrx, catless with kakimoto exhaust, super duper loud, same external mods as before just no more fmic, pulled over for doing 90mph in 880 in front of union landing, told the cop i forgot my hw at home and was about to miss my class, lets me off on speeding but writes me up for my exhaust, easy fix it

those were the only 2 times i ever got some type of modification ticket, and i've been pulled over well over 20 times in the past 7 years.

but wait and see, im about to put my buddy club spec 2 exhaust on my itr, *knocks on wood* if you dont know, it'll sound like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-pUwMctbnE

oh and listen to gmodc7, thats exactly what i do when i get pulled over, car off, hands on wheel, windows down before they get up to your window, when they ask for license and registration, no quick frantic movemets, i usually explain what im doing "my registration is in my glove box, and my license is in my wallet in my back pocket, can i reach for it?" this helps them feel a lot safer, and the safer the cop feels the less aggression he'll have towards you, gets me off on warnings a lot "60% of the time, it works all the time" haha

Last edited by krzyxrevver12; 01-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI Silver/78 911sc/ktm380exc/03 RC51/F4i
31yr old black male
05 sti silver,dwn pipe,borla hush,reflash,short shift,stock wheels
Car not much louder than stock at idle but screams on the gas,got pulled over for getting sideways in the rain told the cop it was not intentional and that it was slippery out and left with a warning to reduce speed in the wet Riiiight!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
i got pulled over about 2 years ago, so i was 22 years old

- 04 sedan
- at the time i had an apexi gt- spec exhaust- super loud
- pulled over in downtown SJ for of course loud exhaust, had wheels and dropped and fmic.
- made me open my hood and found my fmic piping and intake and sent me to ref.

now i have a hush which i love.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Car Info: o3' Honey Bee
I had been pulled over by some iold irish woman for "modifying my exhaust"... I know I'm running catless-resignatorless-mufflerless, she doesnt. So i told her I have swapped a chevy engine in it so she only marked me down for ridding without proof of insurance jhahaha. suckers.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 89 240sx/04 gsxr
03 white wrx
catless: up-pipe, 4in down-pipe, catless espeiler(sp?) exhaust
tint on all windows including the driver and passenger
17's
lowered
no front plate
no lights above licence plate and one tail light out (been like that for 2 months)
and a gfb bov
Got pulled over twice for the exhaust (no tickets)
tailgated the F*** outta this cop that cut me off (i knew the guy though)
told a cop his S*** was slow and he said he had a 4 banger under the hood and rev'd it. then gave me the finger shortly after ha
oh ya im only 17 i have too much fun being a kid
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
COUPE!
Wheels Exhaust
Not loud at all, Silenced Borla
Like a F'n maniac to most people, i call it normal autobahn driving

I've had fix its for: (3 different occasions)
Exhaust
Front Plate
Headlight

And i think 1/2 the reason was because of the way my car looks
Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
oops. wrong thread. sorry.

Last edited by MyNikonLens; 01-30-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
oops. wrong thread. sorry.
lol
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 07 350Z
2005 WRX Sedan
Greddy Evo 2
Stock, Wingless, Smoked headlights.

I drive the speed limit pretty much everywhere I go, so I don't have to much trouble with cops. I think I pass by 1-2 "Hind behind the bushes with radar gun" type cops on the way home everyday. I have no problems *knock on wood*, when I go Stage 2 and lower it, hopefully it will all work out.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 05 sti
21 y/o Japanese Male

05 sti

- sedan or wagon? white sedan.
- what mods can be seen from outside? Sti wing, angled exhaust, lowered, red wheels w/ polished lip, bucket seats, guages, and radar detector.
- how much louder is your car from stock? Titanium catback gets quite loud, even driving the way i do.

2 Exhaust ticket, 3 No front plate ticket, 0 Moving violation.

I stick out and get followed a lot, but rarely do anything worthwhile for cops to pull me over. As you can see though, the dedicated ones pull me over anyway.

Oh, and also, only female cops seem to pull me over to give tickets. The males just drive by or give me warnings.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM

female cops are the worst, but they have more ***** then i do, i could never be a cop.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
25yr old Asian male
2005 psm wrx
Visual mods: Sti hood scoop, wingless, Helix catted downpipe, greddy evo 2, lowered 1.7 inches, 17inch aftermarket silver wheels, no front plate, I-club sticker on left rear window. sti rear diffuser.tinted rear windows/glass
I haven't been pulled over yet..... Thats the way I want to keep it. Thats why my visual mods are on the conservative side (except the hood scoop) and I have a quiet exhaust. I still always make it a point to either stay off the throttle when I see a cop or up shift.
I only speed on the on ramps

Last edited by DemonPossessed; 01-31-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM

...where its legal i always say
Old 01-31-2008, 01:17 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I have been pulled over 5 times and I am only 19.

-I drove a 98 Legacy Outback (wagon)

-I always drove with normal headlights and normal fogs on (4 Lamps), I had fake Diamond lane decals, and 4 "rally style" driving lamps mounted on the roof (Only one while parked or driving in the mountains at night)

-My car had a stock exhaust but an after market stereo that was too loud.

-My car was stick I would fly through the gears and I like to down shift in the corners.

The five incidents:

1st- I was 16, the car was still bone stock. I was doing about 30 in a 15. cop let me off with a warning.

2nd- I was still 16. Still under 6 months. I had some friends in the car and I screeched the tires going around a corner. There was a cop standing on the side walk that jumped out into the street to stop me. This cop was the same damn cop that pulled me over before. He gave me a ticket for reckless driving. The judge amended it to a speeding ticket but the DMV still gave me 2 points.

3rd- I am now 17. I am driving down 85 going to In-N-Out with my friends in the car. I was doing about 110mph, not a lot of traffic. My friend sees a cop merging on to the free way. I discretely slow down but I am still doing 90 as i pass the cop. I had got it down to 80 which was about the flow of traffic and now the cop is right behind me. I decide that I should probably get out of there. So I signal to change lanes and get off of the freeway. As soon as my blinker flashes the sirens come on. The cop pulled me completely off of the freeway. He asked how fast I was going and I told him 90. He said that he clocked me at 80 and LET ME OFF! (2nd luckiest day of my life)

4th- New years eve. cop pulled me over for "tailgating" and let me go.

5th- I was 18. I now had my roof lights installed. It was about 2AM. I am going 85mph on HWY17 coming out of the mountains. There is no one on the road and I was haulin'. i see some tail lights in the distance and think nothing of it. As I get closer I realize that it is CHP. I slow down to the speed limit and stay behind the cop. The cop pulls off of the road and I pass him. As soon as I was past him the sirens came on. He let me off and didn't say anything about the lights.

October 12th 2007 - I crash on San Jose Soquel in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Only car involved (I hit a tree). Luckily I was able to walk away from the accident(The LUCKIEST day of my life [yeah it was that bad]). I got a ticket for losing control on a mountain road, a fix it ticket for the roof lights, and 2 more points on my record. I was able to get the fix it ticket amended because the car was totaled but I wasn't allowed to go to traffic school because the incident resulted in an accident.

Long story short. I had big obnoxious roof lights. I never got a ticket for the lights until I totaled the car and I am a white 19 year old 4 point driver.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
^^^Wow... I wrote all of that?

I hope someone actually reads all of it...

Quick Reply: Bay area: pulled over for a "modded" car or not?