Air Injection Solenoids and why you get a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
Crud I just got this CEL P1410 on my 06 WRX wagon (97k miles) today. Wierd that not only did the CEL come on, but the Cruise did too... not sure what's going on there.

So I cleared the code with the Cobb AP (I'm stage 1, no engine mods) and for the rest of my commute it didn't come back.

Does anyone know if Subaru is now warrantying this for emission yet?
Part of your CEL on your year/make/model is having the cruise blink, this is normal.

Subaru is not and will not warranty this item, they claim its NOT emissions (which it is) but not by their standards.

The CEL will come back, just a matter of time.

-Noah
Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
Part of your CEL on your year/make/model is having the cruise blink, this is normal.

Subaru is not and will not warranty this item, they claim its NOT emissions (which it is) but not by their standards.

The CEL will come back, just a matter of time.

-Noah
thanks for the response!

I've read as long as the car is good and warmed up, then it should pass the sniffer test in emissions even if the pump is removed (with proper block off plate). Is this true?

Also, has it ever been a problem with visual inspection? I mean a deleted pump would look like a 02-05 WRX.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

thanks for the response!

I've read as long as the car is good and warmed up, then it should pass the sniffer test in emissions even if the pump is removed (with proper block off plate). Is this true?

Also, has it ever been a problem with visual inspection? I mean a deleted pump would look like a 02-05 WRX.
For emissions purposes it all needs to be there and you can't have a CEL and pass emissions with that. We still recommend replacing the solenoids on stock cars.

We have made plates that are stealth and keep everything hooked up so there is nothing to see (if you wish to go that route): LIC Motorsports Air Pump Delete Plates (06+ WRX, 08+ STi) Subaru LIC 073109 | Buy Online from LIC Motorsports

as you can see, nothing to see (its sandwiched in-between):

if you wish to see them:

-Noah

Last edited by LICmotorsports; 11-27-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM

For emissions purposes it all needs to be there and you can't have a CEL and pass emissions with that. We still recommend replacing the solenoids on stock cars.

We have made plates that are stealth and keep everything hooked up so there is nothing to see (if you wish to go that route): LIC Motorsports Air Pump Delete Plates (06+ WRX, 08+ STi) Subaru LIC 073109 | Buy Online from LIC Motorsports

-Noah
So sorry... let me reconfirm then. If I get your stealth plates, and perhaps clean out my current system before it totally goes bad:
- does the system show a CEL P1410 because of the block off plate?
- since it's blocked off, does that prevent further deterioration due to gunk?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

So sorry... let me reconfirm then. If I get your stealth plates, and perhaps clean out my current system before it totally goes bad:
- does the system show a CEL P1410 because of the block off plate?
- since it's blocked off, does that prevent further deterioration due to gunk?
Once you have the code(s) they will need to be turned off...

In addition you don't want to unhook the electrical connections, as those solenoids are pressure sensors and the ECU needs to read them.

We list more info here (street use vs. track use): LIC Motorsports Air Pump Delete Plates (06+ WRX, 08+ STi) Subaru LIC 073109 | Buy Online from LIC Motorsports

-Noah
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Once you have the code(s) they will need to be turned off...

In addition you don't want to unhook the electrical connections, as those solenoids are pressure sensors and the ECU needs to read them.

We list more info here (street use vs. track use): LIC Motorsports Air Pump Delete Plates (06+ WRX, 08+ STi) Subaru LIC 073109 | Buy Online from LIC Motorsports

-Noah
My cleared code already came back. P1410 again.

So... how dangerous is it for me to drive around for the next few days until I can get to you shop?

Also, since I have a mostly stock 06 WRX, then I understand wanting to just fix the system; and silly as it is. I probably will have to go this route. But I also have a AP stage 1, so how much more is this going to cost to get the codes cleared, and to install the block off plates inbetween as pictured? Keeping the system is clearly for visual inspection; as the 06 (I think) does not have the atmospheric sensors.

Last edited by chimchimm5; 11-27-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

My cleared code already came back. P1410 again.

So... how dangerous is it for me to drive around for the next few days until I can get to you shop?
Most people do this install themselves and/or with an existing build (while motor is out of the car). These are extremely hard to install with motor/transmission in the car and it becomes a costly install (considering the cost of the parts). Also, if you already have a tune on the car, it will require you contacting your tuner to turn off the related codes on your custom map. If you have a COBB AP with off the shelf mapping, it will require a tuner to turn off the codes as well. If you have a bone stock car, the codes can be turned off via open source.

It can wait a little bit, as most don't take care of it same day but it should be corrected soon (either replacement of solenoids, which is recommended or use of block off plates).

We are by appointment for installs and are currently booked a few weeks out at the moment...feel free to call to make an appointment for the future if you like.

-Noah