Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
must be a dynapak hose.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by aboothman
Ya unfortunately this "scientific test" is only perpetuating their silly pissing contest
I'd say you're wrong.
[B]VVVVV

Originally Posted by Javirex23
I see a lot of good information here. But in also believe that Subaru will go with what will cause them less money, to avoid paying mechanics forvwarranty work! But good stuff guys!

Originally Posted by jdblock
Doesn't look wrong.

Would be interesting to see what happens if you install the air-injection system and test above the solenoid. With a good solenoid and then a bad solenoid.

I can't see how Subaru can say it isn't smog related. CARB might be interested to look into this further. .
We have done exactly that and the results are the same.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Car Info: plenty
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
The best part is that if they stick open and the car is run like this for a while, you run the risk of damaging exhaust valves, valve guides, and even warping the head. This is because fresh air is being introduced into the exhaust port causing very high EGT's. We've seen this on more than a few cars now.

Its such a problem prone system that we do recommend removing it and installing block-off plates on most vehicles. The system is only used on cold start, so it won't effect emissions testing as long as you leave the pump itself in for the visual inspection.

-- Ed
i left the pump and am using your block off plates they refused to let me pass smog because the valves are not there, now im stuck trying to find some so it looks like i have it hooked up
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by vroompssh
i left the pump and am using your block off plates they refused to let me pass smog because the valves are not there, now im stuck trying to find some so it looks like i have it hooked up
I would try a different smog station before worrying about getting solenoids.

-- Ed
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 AM

Car Info: 2004 STI

-- Ed
Unless he gets a free re-test at the shop he went to.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by vroompssh
How about simply repairing the car correctly?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Car Info: Limited WRX WFC #1122

-- Ed
I agree. Ive had quite a few buddies pass with block off plates and the pump just there for visual. I smog mine this month with no solenoids and with block off plates. It shouldn't be a problem at all if you find the right smog station. It just wasn't worth spending $100's of dollars on something that served very little purpose.....and im broke lol
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
How about simply repairing the car correctly?
What's correct about replacing an expensive and failure prone stock part that has no real functionality on a modified car?

-- Ed
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Geronamezzy
I agree. Ive had quite a few buddies pass with block off plates and the pump just there for visual. I smog mine this month with no solenoids and with block off plates. It shouldn't be a problem at all if you find the right smog station. It just wasn't worth spending $100's of dollars on something that served very little purpose.....and im broke lol
Yep.. this is the first time I've heard of someone failing for not having the solenoids in place. That smog shop must really know their Subies.

-- Ed
Old 10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

What's correct about replacing an expensive and failure prone stock part that has no real functionality on a modified car?

-- Ed
I didn't realize track cars have to pass a smog check?
My mistake.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
My mistake.
Rather odd but this little gem pegged my newly installed sarcasm'o'meter app on my phone!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
My mistake.
I didn't realize that the only modified cars are track cars. Because nobody would ever mod a car and drive it on the street! God forbid.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Yep.. this is the first time I've heard of someone failing for not having the solenoids in place. That smog shop must really know their Subies.

-- Ed
This is what I'm wondering. Aren't the smog shops simply going by what *LOOKS* modified? They have no picture charts that show what each car, year, model is supposed to look like.

On my previous car, I had an aftermarket intake WITH carb sticker and the dude wanted to fail me. I pointed out the carb sticker and he had NO IDEA what that was, but seemingly passed me to be nice. (Or rather I presented myself confidently enough for him to go, meh whatever.)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
This is what I'm wondering. Aren't the smog shops simply going by what *LOOKS* modified? They have no picture charts that show what each car, year, model is supposed to look like.

On my previous car, I had an aftermarket intake WITH carb sticker and the dude wanted to fail me. I pointed out the carb sticker and he had NO IDEA what that was, but seemingly passed me to be nice. (Or rather I presented myself confidently enough for him to go, meh whatever.)
There is literature on about 90% of the stuff if you use the correct programs. The rest can be located online and on the BAR website. When I took my smog courses, about 50-60% of the people in my class had no hands on automotive experience or understanding of emission/mechanical parts in an automobile. They came from the IT world or had engineering degrees. Most of these guys went on to work at or own test only stations.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Here we are again...working on a car with Air Injection solenoid issues. In addition to the solenoid issue is the Air Injection pump has now failed too on this car.

This further supports our original findings that we posted about previously when we showed you guys the solenoids and why they are failing.

-Noah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Injection Solenoids and why you get a CEL