Air Injection Solenoids and why you get a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Some cars I've seen with this issue have fairly low mileage, so normal wear is out.

I've also seen brand new heads that do not have this issue, so manufacturing defect is out.

None of these cars overheated or blew head gaskets.

That just leaves high exhaust gas temp. Since I've seen the issue on cars with widely varying setups, from different tuners including stock tune, OTS maps, and various custom tuners, I would rule out improper tuning as the cause. So what else would cause high EGT's on smog pump cars specifically?

-- Ed
Panic-driven sales/business model?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Take another look at these images, this is not from fresh air flowing through them under vacuum...if so, one would assume they would be pretty darn clean; not gummed up with carbon as well as broken down from heat which would be a result of back pressure on them, which is from the exhaust.

I guess we can all argue until we are blue in the face, to each's own on what you wish to believe...

-Noah
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

To be fair, you have some pretty dirty air in the Bay Area.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by FW Motorsports
Panic-driven sales/business model?
That's what causes high EGT's? Or are you calling me and my machine shop liars? Just to be clear?

-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 03-09-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:44 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by LICmotorsports
Take another look at these images, this is not from fresh air flowing through them under vacuum...if so, one would assume they would be pretty darn clean; not gummed up with carbon as well as broken down from heat which would be a result of back pressure on them, which is from the exhaust.

I guess we can all argue until we are blue in the face, to each's own on what you wish to believe...

-Noah
Under certain conditions like heavy load, exhaust does get to the solenoids which causes the build up in those pics. But that doesn't mean that the same occurred under all conditions.

Maybe I am wrong and something else is causing the valve guide wear, but I have not been able to identify it. The only commonality I've found so far is the smog pump. Maybe it's just from the normal operation of the pump? I just wouldn't think that it's on long enough to cause that kind of damage.

-- Ed
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 04 sti
So................soa said this is not an emissions related part, and removing it won't pass smog visual?
*scratching head*
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Are the CEL's the first notice that this is happening or are there symptoms? Is it an issue with the new power plants? Got my wife a 2011 Forester last year.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by eq tuning
that's what causes high egt's? Or are you calling me and my machine shop liars? Just to clear?

-- ed
VVVV

Originally Posted by eq tuning
under certain conditions like heavy load, exhaust does get to the solenoids which causes the build up in those pics. But that doesn't mean that the same occurred under all conditions.

Maybe i am wrong and something else is causing the valve guide wear, but i have not been able to identify it. The only commonality i've found so far is the smog pump. Maybe it's just from the normal operation of the pump? I just wouldn't think that it's on long enough to cause that kind of damage.

-- ed

Again, you're probably seeing correlation and not causation.
Example: engines that have only one AIR valve or only one AIR valve fail, yet the other cylinder head has worn valve guides.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

VVVV

Again, you're probably seeing correlation and not causation.
Example: engines that have only one AIR valve or only one AIR valve fail, yet the other cylinder head has worn valve guides.
In 07 STI's that only have one valve, we usually only see one head with guide issues not both. Again, this suggests that the issue is caused by the secondary pump system.

Now take a look at this picture of the small port right behind the exhaust valve:

The transition from the valve seat into the smaller port diameter, then the transition back out to a larger diameter creates a classic venturi tube effect. This causes exhaust velocity to increase right by the smog pump port. I imagine this was done by design to aid the pump in injecting fresh air into the port. Even without the pump being active, however, if this port is open to fresh air, under certain conditions the increased velocity can create a venturi effect which will actually draw in air from the small port.

-- Ed
Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Let's examine the picture below, which I do not claim to be mine:

Let's assume v1, p1 are in the cylinder, v2/p2 are at the valve seat (which can be taken to be a "nozzle/constriction"), and v3,p3 are the exhaust port. All the area shown outside the diagram is to be considered atmosphere.

One can see that the pressure p3 is greater than the pressure p2...can't argue with science...so logically any opening near p3 would allow the fluid/gas to escape to the atmosphere, not the atmosphere into p3.
Your thinking is correct except that the port for the air injection system is located at the v2/p2 location not the v3/p3 location. In which case, as you said yourself, the v2/p2 location is a lower pressure zone. See the picture in the post above.

-- Ed
Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Are the CEL's the first notice that this is happening or are there symptoms? Is it an issue with the new power plants? Got my wife a 2011 Forester last year.
Generally you will get a CEL when the problem is big enough for the ECU to detect. But I have seen these valves leak before without CEL's present as well.

-- Ed
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
I get the feeling Paul and Ed dont get along. Thanks for the info LIC, we've replaced 2 for customers that dont modify their subies.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
I get the feeling Paul and Ed dont get along.
I get the same feeling

-- Ed
Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Thanks for the info LIC, we've replaced 2 for customers that dont modify their subies.
Happy to lend some info!

-Noah
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Car Info: Norco 29er Mtn Bike
I wonder what SOA does with this info, sht can it? seems like a major defect that should be recalled and corrected. Maybe they need a certain number of reported cases before they address the issue.

Quick Reply: Air Injection Solenoids and why you get a CEL