Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: prop 4
yes
40.00%
no
60.00%
not informed/dont care
0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No on Prop 4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Yes or No on Prop 4?

Proposition 4

What it does: Amends the state Constitution to require a physician to notify a minor patient's parent or other adult family member 48 hours before performing an abortion.

Back story: Déjà vu. Californians defeated parental consent or notification for abortion measures in 2005 and 2006, but had last year off.
(There is no limit on how often failed ballot measures may be resubmitted to voters.)
Proposition 4 adds the "other adult family member" alternative to answer critics of earlier propositions.
It also would require a girl who chooses that alternative to allege parental abuse.
The Legislature passed a parental consent law in 1987, but it never took effect.
The state Supreme Court upheld it in 1996, but on rehearing -- after court membership changed -- struck it down. Which is why Proposition 4 is a constitutional amendment.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
I still can't believe teens can get abortions without their parents knowing, but can't buy spray paint, white out, or medicine...

I'm strongly pro-life, and definitely anti teen abortion, especially without parental notification.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I believe this prop will have a bigger effect than prop 8.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I don't have kids and I can't get pregnant. I don't know what to think of the idea. All I know is it's easy to get free condoms.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:38 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
yeah i would want my ficticious daughter to tell me

so i can go beat up the dude
Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
I hate mandating stuff like this.

what about the 17 year old that is from an abusive home, and she made a mistake. Why do we have to say that she HAS to tell her Father, and then possibly get beat for it. I know it says "other" family member, what what if there is no other?

I would hope that if a time ever came for my family to deal with this, that my daughter would feel open enough to come talk to me about it and let me know what is happening, and not need the state to "make" her do it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:46 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I put no. If a Woman/girl becomes pregnant, what she does about/with the baby is up to her and she shouldn't be forced to do anything.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I put no. If a Woman/girl becomes pregnant, what she does about/with the baby is up to her and she shouldn't be forced to do anything.
While I agree with you somewhat, there should be some sort of age stipulation in the law. Under 15 should have to tell. There is a point where a teenage girl cannot make a sound decision on an issue like this.

I'm not sure how this would work in Michigan. I need to read up on the abortion law.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
So what if the under 15 year old wants to have the abortion and the pro life parents want her to keep the baby??? Then what??

No on this measure.. it's been defeated twice already
Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM

Car Info: A crazy ass wagon ! Voltex and 18x9.5 +22 FTW !
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
While I agree with you somewhat, there should be some sort of age stipulation in the law. Under 15 should have to tell. There is a point where a teenage girl cannot make a sound decision on an issue like this.

I'm not sure how this would work in Michigan. I need to read up on the abortion law.

A teenage girl can't make a sound decision on this issue but she can take care of this baby !?? are you serious ! ? So shes not smart enough to make a decision on keeping the baby... but hey the parents say keep it and here YOU TAKE CARE OF IT AT 15 !? i like that idea
Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I don't want abused teens to have to go to abusive parents for stuff like this. I don't want teens to do anything drastic to abort the baby...

But I don't want kids making any damn decision, they already choose poorly as it is. I voted yes, cause when you're a minor, you're a minor. You don't have rights, and if you feel you are responsible enough to have sex with captain of the football team (whos bangin' all the other cheerleaders, btw) then you should be responsible enough to have the child.

But then again, I don't want some girl beat by her abusive mother/father over this.

In this case I voted to stop teens from being able to "getout" of a responsibility over a teens ability to avoid telling her parents. Maybe more of them will realize that birth control and condoms are free and easily available, and that should be taken seriously.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious

what about the 17 year old that is from an abusive home, and she made a mistake. Why do we have to say that she HAS to tell her Father, and then possibly get beat for it. I know it says "other" family member, what what if there is no other?

I would hope that if a time ever came for my family to deal with this, that my daughter would feel open enough to come talk to me about it and let me know what is happening, and not need the state to "make" her do it.
I wouldn't trust our state system to make sure the situation was safe before forcing notification.

I'm voting no. I love these people that are all anti-big government controlling business, but then when it comes to controlling PEOPLE its all good
Old 10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious

If she wouldn't have got pregnant, no issue right? It's all about accountability. Don't have sex if you can't live with the consequences.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Shagon Wagon
So what if the under 15 year old wants to have the abortion and the pro life parents want her to keep the baby??? Then what??

No on this measure.. it's been defeated twice already
There are plenty of ways to deal with it. Every situation is different.

How about ditching the motto of "If it feels good, do it"? I think that might help.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I don't want abused teens to have to go to abusive parents for stuff like this. I don't want teens to do anything drastic to abort the baby...

But I don't want kids making any damn decision, they already choose poorly as it is. I voted yes, cause when you're a minor, you're a minor. You don't have rights, and if you feel you are responsible enough to have sex with captain of the football team (whos bangin' all the other cheerleaders, btw) then you should be responsible enough to have the child.

But then again, I don't want some girl beat by her abusive mother/father over this.

In this case I voted to stop teens from being able to "getout" of a responsibility over a teens ability to avoid telling her parents. Maybe more of them will realize that birth control and condoms are free and easily available, and that should be taken seriously.

Just my .02 cents.
+1 Gagan. I like that post.

Quick Reply: Yes or No on Prop 4?