Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

"Intillegent design" banned in PA biology classes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by deyes
I'd agree with that. However no matter how many facts theories are based on, when it comes to speculation on the origin of life on this planet wether you believe that some intelligence created it or that it was just a random happening, its all pretty much fiction.

That's why evolution does NOT address the origins of life on earth...that's a different set of theorys.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
I guess if your trying to teach that evolution is a tool that God uses it would be perfectly reasonable for one that does not believe in your God to not want that taught to their children. Would you agree? Is that not what intelligent design teaches?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
I'll just answered my own question.

Definitions of intelligent design on the Web:

"The idea that an intelligent designer played a role in some aspect of the evolution of life on earth, usually the origin of life itself. Generally, a thinly disguised version of scientific creationism."
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072863129/student_view0/chapter5/key_terms.html

Intelligent Design (or ID) is a highly controversial claim holding that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent designer, rather than an undirected process such as natural selection. Most ID advocates state that their focus is on detecting evidence of design in nature, without regard to who or what the designer might be. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science and Theology is a controversial 1999 book by William A. Dembski in which he presents an argument in support of the conjecture of intelligent design. In it, Dembski defines the term "specified complexity", and argues that instances of it in nature cannot be explained by Darwinian evolution, but instead are consistent with the notion of intelligent design. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Design_(book)
Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
The constitution calls for separation of church and state. If you want your child to learn about intelligent design or any other idea about the origins of life, enroll your child in sunday school or a secular private school.

Sorry. That's the deal. If your beliefs are faith-based, don't expect the gov't to teach them to your children. If we let ID in to public schools, don't we also have to give time to the flying spaghetti monster????
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by MonkeyAB
The constitution calls for separation of church and state. If you want your child to learn about intelligent design or any other idea about the origins of life, enroll your child in sunday school or a secular private school.

Sorry. That's the deal. If your beliefs are faith-based, don't expect the gov't to teach them to your children. If we let ID in to public schools, don't we also have to give time to the flying spaghetti monster????
Amen, brotha!!! I went to both. All I know now is that I'm most likely going to start my kids in private school early, maybe 4th grade.