Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

"Intillegent design" banned in PA biology classes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:35 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
"Intillegent design" banned in PA biology classes

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/in....ap/index.html

Score one for reason.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:19 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
So I guess the entire state of PA is going to hell now???

/sarcasm
Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
intelligent design is a joke
Old 12-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Its not like public schools teach kids anything useful other than math.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by deyes
Rules of writing (for getting a job)
Scientific method
history
civics

Just off the top of my head.

There's certainly no point in teaching fiction in a science class, at any rate.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Oh great, a private school snob....

I have a public school education, and I do fine for myself. Along with alot of other public school friends.....

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Exactly
Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Oh great, a private school snob....
Did you use the scientific process you learned at your public school to come to the conclusion that my education was had at a private school!? You seem to have made a rather large jump to an incorrect conclusion from what little information my post provided you. I'll refrain from insulting you in kind. For all the talk of critical thinking these days it seems that there are few that actually know what it is let alone actually putting it into practice. I received my formal education exclusively from public school systems. I succeeded in spite of it, not because of it. What passes for history in schools nowadays amounts to political indoctrination, an oversimplified, incomprehensive look at our nations past. I've heard over and over again from professors that much of what they do is reverse incorrect teachings that their students have previously been subjected to. I'll make concessions for Math and English, however in my experience (and that is all that I have at my disposal) very little care is taken in public school systems to make sure that the students are receiving the best education and information a teacher is capable of giving them. I've no doubt that we all have had different experiences in our schools, and that there are various factors that played a part in those experiences. Lets not confuse my experience in public schools with yours shall we?

Last edited by deyes; 12-21-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
I'd agree with that. However no matter how many facts theories are based on, when it comes to speculation on the origin of life on this planet wether you believe that some intelligence created it or that it was just a random happening, its all pretty much fiction.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Did you use the scientific process you learned at your public school to come to the conclusion that my education was had at a private school!? You seem to have made a rather large jump to an incorrect conclusion from what little information my post provided you. I'll refrain from insulting you in kind. For all the talk of critical thinking these days it seems that there are few that actually know what it is let alone actually putting it into practice. I received my formal education exclusively from public school systems. I succeeded in spite of it, not because of it. What passes for history in schools nowadays amounts to political indoctrination, an oversimplified, incomprehensive look at our nations past. I've heard over an over again from professors that much of what they do is reverse incorrect teachings that their students have previously been subjected to. I'll make concessions for Math and English, however in my experience (and that is all that I have at my disposal) very little care is taken in public school systems to make sure that the students are receiving the best education and information a teacher is capable of giving them. I've no doubt that we all have had different experiences in our schools, and that there are various factors that played a part in those experiences. Lets not confuse my experience in public schools with yours shall we?
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings there sport. Sorry the public school you went to was not up to snuff. I was lucky enough to go to school in a good district, with good programs and part of the reason I succeeded was because of my public school education. There are alot of schools that are not so good though and I understand that, but your generalization prompted me to reply. Saying that the public schools don't teach anything but Math is a bit over-reaching when you are admittedly basing your assumptions on your own experiences. You are right about the history in K-12, though it has gotten better since I went.

What gets me now is the variety of different courses you can go through in High School. There are students coming out of high school with their MCSE's and CCNA's. Kinda makes me wish I went through High School a little bit later.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings there sport. Sorry the public school you went to was not up to snuff. I was lucky enough to go to school in a good district, with good programs and part of the reason I succeeded was because of my public school education. There are alot of schools that are not so good though and I understand that, but your generalization prompted me to reply. Saying that the public schools don't teach anything but Math is a bit over-reaching when you are admittedly basing your assumptions on your own experiences. You are right about the history in K-12, though it has gotten better since I went.

What gets me now is the variety of different courses you can go through in High School. There are students coming out of high school with their MCSE's and CCNA's. Kinda makes me wish I went through High School a little bit later.
Apology accepted, but don't call me "sport" I'm a working stiff husband and a father of three. Much respect due!

The public schools do not in my mind shoulder all of the blame. The lack of involvment on the part of the parents is likely linked to most if not all of the symptoms of disadvantaged youth in our country, and world wide for that matter.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 PM

The real issue here in my mind is that the community behind this controversy has parents involved enough that they want to decide what it is that their kids are learning, they feel (and I agree) that they should have a say. Is it any surprise that they are alarmed that what they are teaching their children at home and what they are being taught in school seemingly conflict? The larger issue at hand is whom is in control of what our children are being taught in schools? Do parents have a say? Is it a good idea to have the Federal government soley responsible for the contents of our chilrens text books? What would be the consequences (good and bad) of those children being taught intelligent design?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:10 PM
VIP Member

Apology accepted, but don't call me "sport" I'm a working stiff husband and a father of three. Much respect due!
Very true. Actually the sport thing came from one of Dane Cook's bits that I just heard. Quite funny. Nobody likes to be called sport, pal, buddy or chief by someone they don't know......

The public schools do not in my mind shoulder all of the blame. The lack of involvment on the part of the parents is likely linked to most if not all of the symptoms of disadvantaged youth in our country, and world wide for that matter
Very true....
Old 12-21-2005, 03:12 PM
VIP Member

The real issue here in my mind is that the community behind this controversy has parents involved enough that they want to decide what it is that their kids are learning, they feel (and I agree) that they should have a say. Is it any surprise that they are alarmed that what they are teaching their children at home and what they are being taught in school seemingly conflict? The larger issue at hand is whom is in control of what our children are being taught in schools? Do parents have a say? Is it a good idea to have the Federal government soley responsible for the contents of our chilrens text books? What would be the consequences (good and bad) of those children being taught intelligent design?
There are parents on both sides of the issue in PA, not just on the side for intelligent design. The side that also happens to coincide with "separation of church and state" wins in this case and rightfully so. I don't have a problem with teaching kids intelligent design but not in a sceince classroom.

The whole issue is there is measurable evidence that can support evolution to some extent whereas intelligent design is based mostly on faith.

Last edited by SilverScoober02; 12-21-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:29 PM

You're right, two sides to every story. Probably a sound ruling in PA.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:11 PM

Car Info: Sline
What you also have to realize about Pennsylvania, is the high concentration of religious folk. It's a bible belt out there, especially rural PA (where this school is located). I think intelligent design should be saved for, if anything, High School classes -- preferably art history -- when the student is beginning to be mature enough to make and form their own opinons on such matters.

ps: I've attended both public and private schools. Taken art history at both. I feel I got more out of the private (high) school than the public (college). Just thought I'd add my two cents Maybe we should start a Public vs. Private school thread?

Last edited by jvick125; 12-21-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: "Intillegent design" banned in PA biology classes