Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Drunk driving laws.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Car Info: STi 07
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Again, using that logic shouldn't we all go to jail every time we get into a car and drive on the road? Driving under any circumstances is a calculated risk, is it not?
No we shouldn't go to jail every time we drive. When you drinking and driving wether your wasted or just had a few beers your judgment, response time and attention is slower then usual. Driving is always a risk of accident but when your getting behind the wheel when you know that your judgement is impaired because of a couple drinks is a different risk, for example if you have been drinking even if its 2 beers why do you get nervous when u see a cop?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM

haha it's amazing how worked up people will get over a simple discussion. You're ridiculous.
It was a joke. Funny how people don't get sarcasm.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Do you know what "tangentially related" means? You people need to pay more attention to what you're reading. Try clicking the ****ing link.
Read my clarifying second sentence.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Subyusmcguy
It was a joke. Funny how people don't get sarcasm.
Funny how sarcasm is indicated through body language, tone of voice or inflection.

Also funny how none of that comes across through text communication.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Read my clarifying second sentence.
You edited that, you cheater!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
VIP Member

You edited that, you cheater!
I see no "last edited" line

It was more of a "finished reviewing the situation and context right after hitting the post button" thing.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM

No we shouldn't go to jail every time we drive. When you drinking and driving wether your wasted or just had a few beers your judgment, response time and attention is slower then usual. Driving is always a risk of accident but when your getting behind the wheel when you know that your judgement is impaired because of a couple drinks is a different risk...
So are you saying that we should criminalize things because they pose an elevated risk to ourselves and others around us?

...for example if you have been drinking even if its 2 beers why do you get nervous when u see a cop?
I don't know about you, but I get nervous when I see a cop no matter what. "Probably Cause" is a very broad brush that grants wide range of latitude for police action. :P
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM

Funny how sarcasm is indicated through body language, tone of voice or inflection.

Also funny how none of that comes across through text communication.
It comes across through text for example I can say go fu*k a goat. Are you gonna get all mad because I told you to go screw a goat. You clearly understood that I am saying get the f*ck out of here. Also say if your house gets robbed when your not home, nobody got hurt the guy committing the robbery shouldnt get arrested or just maybe get a slap on the wrist? Or say he gives you what he took back he should just walk away free?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I see no "last edited" line

It was more of a "finished reviewing the situation and context right after hitting the post button" thing.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM

It comes across through text for example I can say go fu*k a goat. Are you gonna get all mad because I told you to go screw a goat. You clearly understood that I am saying get the f*ck out of here. Also say if your house gets robbed when your not home, nobody got hurt the guy committing the robbery shouldnt get arrested or just maybe get a slap on the wrist? Or say he gives you what he took back he should just walk away free?
You're posting that on a forum where someone seriously said that they were going to report Daniel to the FBI for threatening the life of the president. If someone can post that seriously, you referring M.A.D.D. to this thread isn't that much of a leap, now is it?

Now go **** a goat!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM

So are you saying that we should criminalize things because they pose an elevated risk to ourselves and others around us?

I don't know about you, but I get nervous when I see a cop no matter what. "Probably Cause" is a very broad brush that grants wide range of latitude for police action. :P
What I am saying is that you know the laws and penalty's. If you risk not obeying them then you should accept the punishment. Why should would I get nervous when I ain't doing anything wrong and all paperwork is good. Those are the time I wish they would pull me over.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM

You're posting that on a forum where someone seriously said that they were going to report Daniel to the FBI for threatening the life of the president. If someone can post that seriously, you referring M.A.D.D. to this thread isn't that much of a leap, now is it?

Now go **** a goat!
this is me > and this is you>

Your new nickname is Nutsaq
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I know a dude tha has multiple alcohol-related driving arrests.
He never hurt anyone, yet still served 180 days in county.

I also went to high school with William ernst, convicted of murder for two deaths resulting from a single DUI.

The emotional-transference hypothesis could certainly explain the case of Winifred Potenza, a slender, middle-aged artist with mournful brown eyes who lives in a wood-shingled home on a quiet street in Santa Rosa. In September, 1989, just a few blocks from her house, a drunken William Ernst doing 70 mph plowed into the car carrying her 21-year-old son Jonathan, and his fiancee, Lisa Rodriguez. Both were killed instantly. Ernst, a young man almost Jonathan's age, had already been convicted once of driving under the influence.

"I went nuts. I wanted him to suffer," Potenza says. "I would have killed my neighbor if I thought it would bring back my kid." Potenza spent months lobbying the district attorney to prosecute Ernst for murder, not the manslaughter charge such killings usually receive. She got her wish: Ernst was convicted of murder and sentenced to 15 years to life.

But just as the judge pronounced the sentence, Potenza says, she had a stunning emotional insight. There in the courtroom, with Ernst's weeping mother just a few yards away, she saw him as a person for the first time, and realized the whole thing was a tragic accident. "It was like waking up," she says. "I thought, 'Of course I forgive him.' " She found herself getting up, embracing Ernst and telling him so. "It felt beautiful. I forgave him completely. I've never held it against him since."

Then, she says, she had to make amends. For the next six years, Potenza became Ernst's staunchest advocate, visiting him weekly in prison and lobbying all the officials she could find to release him. He was finally paroled. He and Potenza remain close friends.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM

this is me > and this is you>

Your new nickname is Nutsaq
What do you think my forum name comes from? It's certainly not a reference to a potato sack.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I know a dude tha has multiple alcohol-related driving arrests.
He never hurt anyone, yet still served 180 days in county.

I also went to high school with William ernst, convicted of murder for two deaths resulting from a single DUI.
So the first guy, is he just going to wait until he ends up like William Ernst to stop drinking and driving?

Quick Reply: Drunk driving laws.