Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Drunk driving laws.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM

Car Info: STi 07
A hate crime is a crime of violence that is motivated by hatred. You don't have to like everyone but if the reason you attacked that person was due to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and stuff like that its consider a "Hate Crime". Also if your driving and cause an accident because you didn't pay attention there is alot of factors that go into consideration before your charged with anything for example speed, skid marks, eye witness accounts, various factors. Also with a DUI even if you make it 2 seconds from your house and didnt kill anyone you still should go to jail if your drunk, also its up to the police officers discretion wether he thinks ur not in coditions to drive, you dont always have to be legally drunk. Also you should go to jail for taking the risk of driving drunk, because you risk your own life and life of innocent people.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Sounds like a typical lower GE college argumentative paper. With the lack of quotes and studies cited, I'm guessing one that didn't receive a very good grade either.
It's not from a college paper, it's from a forum post. Hence my third post where I relay a continuance of the discussion.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
I'm sure about it because there are people out there, believe it or not, that follow the laws. They might not agree with all of them all the time but they follow them.

I personally know multiple people who love to smoke weed, used to all the time but not so much now because they have gotten in trouble with it. If weed became legal would more people smoke? Yes.

Yes you are correct that they would still get drilled with a red light ticket or whatever. But if you are the type of driver that guns it when the light turns yellow, does not stop completely at a stop sign ect while sober... Drinking and driving is like adding fuel to the fire.
No argument against any of that?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 AM

I agree with chicken!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Yes, the part you put in large print is opinion, however, the speeding ticket part sounds, to me, more like fact to give his opinion relevance.
It may sound like that to you, but it is clearly stated as an opinion.

And the studies showing direct correlation between said speed limit and accidents are where?
I misread your post and responded to reflect that. My bad. Although you should note that state governments sometimes claim that the speed limit laws are in place partly because of "safety concerns."
Old 09-08-2009, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
It's not from a college paper, it's from a forum post. Hence my third post where I relay a continuance of the discussion.
Poorly written college paper > forum post. In terms of quality of writing at least

I figured it was posted online, but didn't know if the original post was a paper that had been turned in.

It may sound like that to you, but it is clearly stated as an opinion.
So you're saying the writer tried to support his opinion, with more of his own opinions? Wow, must be even more retarded than previously thought. I mean, is that your interpretation that both sentences are opinion or was it stated somewhere else that the speed limit remark is his opinion too? Perhaps I'm just giving the writer too much credit in knowing the argumentative process.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
No argument against any of that?
My intention is not to argue but to solicit opinions, and I've pretty much figured yours out.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Poorly written college paper > forum post. In terms of quality of writing at least

I figured it was posted online, but didn't know if the original post was a paper that had been turned in.
Tangentially related, but here's a little blurb you may find interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...t_speed_limits
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I forwarded this link to Mothers, Against, Drunk, Drivers.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Subyusmcguy
A hate crime is a crime of violence that is motivated by hatred. You don't have to like everyone but if the reason you attacked that person was due to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and stuff like that its consider a "Hate Crime". Also if your driving and cause an accident because you didn't pay attention there is alot of factors that go into consideration before your charged with anything for example speed, skid marks, eye witness accounts, various factors. Also with a DUI even if you make it 2 seconds from your house and didnt kill anyone you still should go to jail if your drunk, also its up to the police officers discretion wether he thinks ur not in coditions to drive, you dont always have to be legally drunk. Also you should go to jail for taking the risk of driving drunk, because you risk your own life and life of innocent people.
Again, using that logic shouldn't we all go to jail every time we get into a car and drive on the road? Driving under any circumstances is a calculated risk, is it not?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Tangentially related, but here's a little blurb you may find interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...t_speed_limits
Wikipedia not valid resource in college. I believe we are all at college level in here
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM

I forwarded this link to Mothers, Against, Drunk, Drivers.
haha it's amazing how worked up people will get over a simple discussion. You're ridiculous.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Wikipedia not valid resource in college.
I'm sorry professor, is this a college course in which I must provide a bibliography and cite my sources?

No, this is an internet forum in which we are sharing opinion.

I believe we are all at college level in here
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that.

Maybe you should re-read the post and pay attention to the context in which I linked it to Matt -- and then click on the link. I only shared it because it was interesting information, albeit only vaguely related. It in no way was meant as support for or against my own opinion or position.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Wikipedia not valid resource in college. I believe we are all at college level in here
Seriously, I'll accept citings from LexisNexis or Ebsco, but not wikipedia. However, that was just in relation to a side comment, so whatever.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Do you know what "tangentially related" means? You people need to pay more attention to what you're reading. Try clicking the ****ing link.

Quick Reply: Drunk driving laws.