Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Drunk driving laws.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
No I'm sure that if it was legal to drink and drive more people would do it, not only new people but more frequently as well.
Sure about it, huh? Why is that?

Isn't it also proven that drinking delays reaction time and perception? So you are at a much higher risk of running lights/stop signs, breaking time ect.
And when you run the light or the stop sign, you will have then committed the crime of running a red light or a stop sign.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I feel that to dissuade seriously unsafe to the public behavior, that ALL DUI's should be serious and all the time.

You mention getting home safely, what if he didn't get home safely? What about next time? What happens if the kid who lives 3 houses down dashes in front of the car and your/his reaction time is too slow...DUI is to protect the public.

I have a brother-in-law that is in a wheel chair, his wife was killed, their crime? Walking along river road at 5pm, a drunk, who was on the road - too fast, hit 'em...not very cool is it? If there were no pedestrians, he would've gotten home, a few hundred yards with no trouble...but he didn't, he got manslaughter and my brother-in-law has life in a wheelchair and lost his wife. Fair?

I have one other horror story, a college professor, head of social work dept at Chico State, was hit head-on by a drunk driver - she survived, after about nine months in the hospital. Her problem is that her brain isn't so good anymore, she can no longer teach, she can't even think very well - before the accident she was brilliant, now she can't function, she has trouble thinking about the simplest issues. If any decision making processes are involved, she gets totally confused, I don't mean Toast or Milk for breakfast, or what to wear today - that she can handle, but anything much more than that, and she can't figure it out, kind of like the person that posted this thread.

One last one, one of the hardest professors I've ever known, Wolf Statler, killed while commuting from Half Moon bay to SFSU by a truck driver DUI (not alcohol). He was a very tough professor, taught Systems, but he was also a great guy, a father...now dead.

DUI is serious - maybe not this time, but it might be next time. Please don't DUI of anything.
Yes.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by saqwarrior

And when you run the light or the stop sign, you will have then committed the crime of running a red light or a stop sign.
But being sober will lower the chance of running the red light. Hence the avoidance purpose rather than extra penalty intent.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I feel that drunk driving laws are in place to avoid crashes, not add extra penalties post-crash. I think the writer is purposefully forgetting some key logic steps in order to write that stuff.
I think you may have misunderstood the point of the post:

There are already laws in place that cover the problems/accidents caused by inebriated drivers. In my opinion, drunk driving laws are redundant, possibly excessive, and borderline superfluous. Much like speeding tickets, they only restrain people who wouldn't do it in the first place, and act as revenue earners for municipalities.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM

But being sober will lower the chance of running the red light. Hence the avoidance purpose rather than extra penalty intent.
... I'm not entirely sure how that relates to what you quoted? Mind explaining?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

I think you may have misunderstood the point of the post:
Mind posting up a link to the actual article? Because honestly, that just sounds like a bunch of BS.

Much like speeding tickets, they only restrain people who wouldn't do it in the first place, and act as revenue earners for municipalities.
I see no studies cited to support this theory in the speeding tickets or DUI scenarios. Sounds like something that made sense in a college kids head, so he/she wrote it down as fact.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
That's exactly what I'm saying. If they cause no harm, what's wrong with that?
Because you are more likely to cause harm to someone else, someone innocent of your crime, how is that fair - I like to shoot my 0.50 cal rifle, like to aim it at a 28 degree incline from the horizontal and fire as many rounds as I can in random directions.

If I hit someone, well then I am guilty, but if the bullets don't hit anyone, why the fk are the cops knocking on my door?

It's NOT safe.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Churro Aficionado

I'm sure about it because there are people out there, believe it or not, that follow the laws. They might not agree with all of them all the time but they follow them.

I personally know multiple people who love to smoke weed, used to all the time but not so much now because they have gotten in trouble with it. If weed became legal would more people smoke? Yes.

Yes you are correct that they would still get drilled with a red light ticket or whatever. But if you are the type of driver that guns it when the light turns yellow, does not stop completely at a stop sign ect while sober... Drinking and driving is like adding fuel to the fire.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM
VIP Member

... I'm not entirely sure how that relates to what you quoted? Mind explaining?
I assumed you were saying that if you run a red light while drunk, the red light ticket is enough of a penalty, correct? If you were sober (speaking from my own train of though) I'll be stopping at that red light, and if I were to run it, it wouldn't be with a car or pedestrian in front of me.

If you run the red light due to lowered reaction time, you're not running it because you decide to run it, you're running it because you can't stop in time. What happens when there is a car going through the intersection? What happens if someone is crossing the crosswalk? What happens if its not just a red light but a car stopped ahead of you? This is why DUI laws are AVOIDANCE laws, not extra penalty laws.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Mind posting up a link to the actual article? Because honestly, that just sounds like a bunch of BS.
I don't have the original link.

Out of curiosity, which part sounds like BS?

I see no studies cited to support this theory in the speeding tickets or DUI scenarios. Sounds like something that made sense in a college kids head, so he/she wrote it down as fact.
There were no claims made of fact.

There are already laws in place that cover the problems/accidents caused by inebriated drivers. In my opinion, drunk driving laws are redundant, possibly excessive, and borderline superfluous. Much like speeding tickets, they only restrain people who wouldn't do it in the first place, and act as revenue earners for municipalities.
But for the record, I am aware of at least a few European countries that have far more relaxed speeding limit laws and suffer fewer accidents per capita per year than the United States.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Churro Aficionado

This write up is prolly off a college classroom chat board or somthing
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 AM

DISCLAIMER/REMINDER: I'm only engaging you all in this thought experiment. For the most part I'm keeping my opinion to myself.

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Because you are more likely to cause harm to someone else, someone innocent of your crime, how is that fair - I like to shoot my 0.50 cal rifle, like to aim it at a 28 degree incline from the horizontal and fire as many rounds as I can in random directions.

If I hit someone, well then I am guilty, but if the bullets don't hit anyone, why the fk are the cops knocking on my door?

It's NOT safe.
So are you saying that you want to criminalize something not because it is harmful but because of the possibility that it is harmful?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Yes, the part you put in large print is opinion, however, the speeding ticket part sounds, to me, more like fact to give his opinion relevance.

But for the record, I am aware of at least a few European countries that have far more relaxed speeding limit laws and suffer fewer accidents per capita per year than the United States.
And the studies showing direct correlation between said speed limit and accidents are where?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 09-08-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

This write up is prolly off a college classroom chat board or somthing
Sounds like a typical lower GE college argumentative paper. With the lack of quotes and studies cited, I'm guessing one that didn't receive a very good grade either.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Well here is the difference.

Drunk driver: This is a person who is an accident waiting to happen. This is a situation that can be simply prevented by just not driving, taking a taxie/bus home, etc. It is a single point of failure to put it in engineering terms and should be a simple rule to follow.

Wreckless driver: This is a person who is an accident waiting to happen as well. however, the resolution to this problem is more complex depending on what caused that person to driver wrecklessly. Was this guy driving with road rage? Was this guy sleepy? Was this guy just blatently ignorant? This issue points to possibly many outcomes and resolutions.

Drunk driving laws are there because it is something that can be prevented easily and has an absolute outcome. Wreckless driving is due to somebody that is just either a terrible driver or just somebody that just doesn't care for laws or rules.

Quick Reply: Drunk driving laws.