Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

For those of you with Tein Flex coilovers which clunk in the back...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 05 Audi S4... trying to mod the driver!!!
For those of you with Tein Flex coilovers which clunk in the back...

My Teins clunked after I put them in.. I tried to tighten with my torque wrench the top nut to 42 ft lbs but the shaft just spun. I was told to not use an impact wrench to attempt tightening as the speed of the impact wrench spinning the shaft could burn the seals in the piston.

Here is what I found. I took the rear coilovers out and tightened in the following manor:

take one of the tein locknut wrenches and put it on the top locknut collar (just below where the pillowball mount is). Tighten with your torque wrench the top nut while holding the top locknut collar with the tein wrench.

I do not know if this can be accomplished while the coilovers are still in the car... someone else will have to try as I no longer have the tein coilovers in my car (switched to STI type C takeoffs)

**Another potential tip--go to your hardware store and find another nut to fit over the top nut. Get the top nut to 42 ft lbs and then put the second nut on top of it. snug the two nuts together (acts as a lock) so that the top nut can't loosen or back out.

good luck.

lndbrusr
Old 06-19-2003, 12:54 PM

Car Info: 03 Rex: HKS, Injen, Apexi, Perrin, Rota
Question thanks for the advice...

but i did notice that you no longer have the teins on your car??? whats the deal? i just found a set of flex coilovers brand new for 1300 bucks; sounded like a great deal, and i was planning on getting them. would you advise otherwise? Prior to that I was planning on getting the new perrin springs and then some AGX's when they come out in july, but when i found the flex's i got all google-eyed and started drooling, but maybe I should stay away, i've since read that they sag after awhile and for street driving (98% of what i do) they dont ride or handle well. whats the deal? thanks for your help Bennie O.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
The clunk must be sedan specific as I have had no problems with the flex's in my GGA...
Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM

madrex--I tried them becuase I got a screaming deal on them.. they were a bit to stiff for me. On the racetrack they were fantastic. I had no problems with sag (I only had them for 4000 miles) and have only heard about clunk problems. You will also have to get used to hearing the swooosh of the gas pistons compressing.

that said... I really like my sti takeoffs.

lndbrusr
Old 06-19-2003, 03:52 PM

Thumbs up sti takeoff question

thanks, i am trying really hard to sort out what suspension i should get. I don't like the price of coilovers, but if i found a good enough deal i'd probably go for it. but my other problem is ride quality; i want to be able to dice it up, right... but i also want to take the fellas out or take the lady out without sending her to the chiropractor. i had some really stiff suspension in my last car (2000 jetta) that thing cornered like it was on rails, but the ride sucked, especially in the back seat, expansion joints felt like something broke. I just got a perrin rear swaybar and endlinks and they are the shizznit. even without changing the springs or struts, cornering is now very linear (grip is now phenomenal, but the handling needs work, mostly just bodyroll). the 17's helped immensely, but those endlinks did more than i thought they would, i put the bar in a couple weeks before the links so i could see what every mod did to the handling.

anyways, if anyone sees this and has some solid suggestions for a 98% street driver to do for suspension mods, i'd definitely appreciate it. buh-bye

p.s. do the flex coilovers come standard w/pillowball mounts? and what do they do for the ride/sound in the cabin?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:36 PM

the teins do come with pillowball mounts and thus metal on metal... It does produce/transmit noise/vibration/harshness...

IMHO--the sti takeoffs or upcoming agx + pick your spring (I would do prodrives) combo sounds about right for you. If you want coilovers, I would go with the newer version of DMS golds with 180 lb springs and STI hardened top mounts.

Try to find someone in your area with the different suspension types and ask for a ride!!!

good luck
lndbrusr
Old 06-19-2003, 06:56 PM

Thumbs up thanks

pillowball seems like an interesting name for something that makes the ride harsher and stiffer... the only time i've ever seen DMS, they've been way to expensive for my blood. up until i found the teins on sale i was planning on using Perrin springs (made by and same rate as H&R, but drop is changed to 1.8" in the front and 1.4" in the back) and then pair em up with the agx's, which are supposed to be out in july some time. if coilovers period are gonna make the ride too stiff for a jaunt over the pass to the beach with a carfull of people, then i probably shouldn't get involved with em. i had springs/struts on my last two cars and that seemed to be enough to satisfy my tastes, but i'll always know that the rex is capable of so much more if it had the CO's under it... anyways, thats all i know, thanks for the help, much appreciated. Bennie O.