Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Shock absorber/damper clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 AM

Car Info: 1995 GX Wagon AWD EJ18
Question Shock absorber/damper clunk

I have been getting sharp clunks from my suspension whenever I drive over a pothole or go over a speed hump. I thought that it might be from worn upper spring mounts introducing free play in the spring when the suspension is fully extended. I raised the car yesterday and let the wheels drop freely to find that the upper spring mounts are fine with the spring being continuously kept captive at all times.

I then got a long iron tube and levered the wheels up one at a time thus compressing the springs. I then dropped the bar away and let the wheel drop back down to its lowest position. Turns out that the sharp clunk occurs when the wheel comes to a stop at its fully extended position. I think it’s coming from the damper itself unless there is something else that could be making this sound??

What is this caused by? and is there any cure apart from replacing all 4 dampers (each one had this clunk)?

Thanks and a happy new year to all
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
what struts are you running?

I get the same thing. Can you feel it? I can feel my whole car buckle. Like as if the strut bolts where loose and moving around or something.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 PM

The car has 170,000miles on it and the struts and springs are standard equipment (not sure if ever replaced?? I just got the scoob recently).

The ride is definitely rough but doesn’t feel like the suspension oscillations are out of control. The dampers seem to be doing a good job at bringing the oscillations under control. It’s just that it feels like the wheels are lose or something is lose and the suspension reacts too much to every bump in the road. The clunking when the wheel fully extends is also very noticeable and is driving me crazy!!

I've checked the suspension bushes as I though maybe they are worn, but all seems well. Could the dampers be moving too quickly due to worn internal valves but still providing sufficient spring oscillation damping?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
Could very easily be the dampers. Could be the upper mount as well, but not the way you were thinking. Could be a worn center mounting spot where the shaft goes through and bolts to the mount. Movement in there can create a clunk
Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 PM

I must admit I’ve never taken the suspension assembly apart so I'm not sure what's in there and how it all interacts apart from what I’ve seen in schematics. Do you mean that the clunk could be generated by the slop caused by the worn bearing located in the top mount in which the shaft sits in? I guess this would explain the looseness felt in the wheels/suspension.

I'll try to get a friend to drop the wheel quickly when the car is raised while I hold my hand on the mount to see if maybe this is the root cause. I’m not desperate enough yet to try to stick my hand in between the spring turns to feel whether it’s the damper itself making the noise

I also greased the damper shafts the other day which I must admit has quietened the suspension up a bit, unless it’s just placebo Suspension still feels lose though.

Can you buy the top mount bearing as a separate item? Or does it come as part of the top mount assembly?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
Originally Posted by loccomoffo
I must admit I’ve never taken the suspension assembly apart so I'm not sure what's in there and how it all interacts apart from what I’ve seen in schematics. Do you mean that the clunk could be generated by the slop caused by the worn bearing located in the top mount in which the shaft sits in? I guess this would explain the looseness felt in the wheels/suspension.

I'll try to get a friend to drop the wheel quickly when the car is raised while I hold my hand on the mount to see if maybe this is the root cause. I’m not desperate enough yet to try to stick my hand in between the spring turns to feel whether it’s the damper itself making the noise

I also greased the damper shafts the other day which I must admit has quietened the suspension up a bit, unless it’s just placebo Suspension still feels lose though.

Can you buy the top mount bearing as a separate item? Or does it come as part of the top mount assembly?

Top mount is one piece...should be too terriblly expensive though
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRX Hatchback
did you ever find out the problem? i am having the same problem, so im planning on bring it to GST motorsports to have them check it out... its driving me insane!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by gnabgibeht
did you ever find out the problem? i am having the same problem, so im planning on bring it to GST motorsports to have them check it out... its driving me insane!
let me know what they say.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 PM

it was a loose bolt on the control arm... didnt know what the previous owner was doing loosening it, but they didnt do a good job tightening it.. so after 2 months it got loose...
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 02 Imp. 2.5rs
I had this problem a while back. Twice infact.
Both times, it turned out to be from leaky struts.
Replaced them with a complete set of KYB non adjustables, including mounts.
Much better response than stock.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by loccomoffo
I have been getting sharp clunks from my suspension whenever I drive over a pothole or go over a speed hump. I thought that it might be from worn upper spring mounts introducing free play in the spring when the suspension is fully extended. I raised the car yesterday and let the wheels drop freely to find that the upper spring mounts are fine with the spring being continuously kept captive at all times.

I then got a long iron tube and levered the wheels up one at a time thus compressing the springs. I then dropped the bar away and let the wheel drop back down to its lowest position. Turns out that the sharp clunk occurs when the wheel comes to a stop at its fully extended position. I think it’s coming from the damper itself unless there is something else that could be making this sound??

What is this caused by? and is there any cure apart from replacing all 4 dampers (each one had this clunk)?

Thanks and a happy new year to all

did you ever fix the problem?
Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 AM

No not yet Am too busy at the moment to attempt any big fixes and short on $$. Although greasing the damper shafts has made the suspension a lot quieter.

I rang the Subaru shop here in oz and they wanted AU$120 (US$105) for one upper strut mount!! We pay a premium for living at the end of the world. I've seen group N mounts online in the US for just over US$50 each.

I'll check all the front control arms as well, might be part of the problem.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:05 AM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
im having the same problem...not sure if there's a bushing that goes' between the coilover cap and the tophat...