Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

proper way for bleeding braking system

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon
proper way for bleeding braking system

Hi, i am changing rotors and pads on my 02 wrx.. in the mean time i want to bleed/flush the whole breaking system and fill with motul brake fluid.

Can anyone give me a heads up on this procedure.

thanks
Old 05-07-2003, 01:50 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Here ya go Danny,

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ke+fluid+flush

Make sure to have an extra hand...
Old 05-08-2003, 05:09 PM

hum

Mitch.. still don't quite get how to flush the system, i have read the post, but it mainly talks about the procedure on how to bleed.. but complete flush.. how do u perform this task? thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 12:18 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Well stock fluid is usually yellow. If yougot someATE Suber blue, you couldjust keep 'bleeding' till it comes out blue.

Other then that, just to be safe, you can use the whole bottle.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:09 AM

mitch

so basically fill up the reservour with new fluid.. and following the bleeding procedure.. keep pumping the pedal until the new color brake fluid start to flow in and then bleed the brake, then close bleed valve to seal? and in the mean time, continue to refill reservour? my question is, if i keep filling the reservour, would'nt i be mixing the old brake fluid along with the newly added one? just wondering!

do this procedure for all the other 3 brake caliper correct? i just want to make sure that i get a complete flush..

and also.. how in the world do u take out the rear rotor? its not as easy as knocking it out with a millet for the front rotor.. after i remove the complete caliper for the rear, i was stuck.. no matter how i pound, the rear rotor just would not come out..

Old 05-20-2003, 12:45 AM

I have a dumb quation. how many bottles do I need to flush the whole brake system? let's say motul fluid size, thanks
Old 06-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Arrow

I've updated the brake bleeding page. We had two different pages so I put them together and added pics of how to get the fluid out.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...=6626#post6626

Peaty
Old 06-07-2003, 02:12 PM

I really don't know how nessesary it is to back off of the shoes. Keep in mind the shoes are strictly for the e-brake. Unless you drive around with the e-brake on or do massive amounts of e-brake turns I'm not sure how much of a groove you will be wearing in the inner drum when you use the e-brake and the car isn't ever moving.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:50 PM

I've got 65K on my car and have remove my rear drums 4 times now and havent' had any grooves. I did it today in fact, I was swaping calipers and rotors on my RS. 3 popped right off and one needed some coaxing. I've also changed the brakes on a number of other Subaru's and have not come across any ware gooves or ridges like I did when drum brakes were common. I'm not saying you haven't seen it but I don't think it's common. Maybe your e-brake was dragging or something. 8K miles w/ some ridges I'd say something is amiss with you cable system. Maybe because you rarely use it it got frozen or something I don't know. The only way it will wear is if the wheel turns while the brake is on. The force of the shoes on the drum alone won't make a ridge. Lots of times the hub center likes to get so tight they won't just pop off but need either the bolts or some coaxing with a BFH (used gingerly) I think it's more common for people to leave the e-brake on and try to get the rotors off than ridges

Your right it's not hard to do to back off on the shoes, anything is worth a try in my book.