Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

WRX...Auto Insurance to rise according to Insurance Institue of Highway Safety

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 AM

Car Info: '15 Legacy Carbide Grey Metallic
WRX...Auto Insurance to rise according to Insurance Institue of Highway Safety

My friend whom owns a Infiniti G37 brought to my attention about the following article, which in short, states that our auto insurance for WRX will rise Unfortunately, whether or not you drive safely, it affects the WRX brethren. Remember, drive to arrive?! Hehe

Here is the article found on yahoo:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...RvLWluc3VyZQ--

Next time you see a Subaru Impreza WRX in your review mirror (you'll never see us in your rear view mirror, you'll be on ours), get out of its way. Speed up. Slow down. Pull over to the side of the road and let it pass. Whatever it takes - just get away from it. If you don't, you may regret it.

Edmunds Straightline Blog explains, "Every couple years, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the non-profit testing and research agency supported by auto insurance companies, releases its model-by-model insurance loss rate scores. And it just so happens that among 2005-2007 models, the Subaru Impreza WRX had the highest loss rate among all types of coverage."

That means insurers paid out more to repair WRXs than any other model of car. Insurers paid out more claims to repair cars hit by WRXs than those hit by anything else. WRX owners even claimed more non-crash-related damage than owners of any other car.(gymkhana! )

The Wall Street Journal notes, "Auto insurance costs aren't the first thing most shoppers think about when they evaluate a new car to buy. But it's an important cost to consider." For example, the Journal notes, a car shopper who buys "a big car that gets 20 miles to the gallon, instead of a small car that sips fuel at the rate of 30 miles to the gallon...could pay about $625 a year more for fuel." But if that small car is a WRX, the owner could quickly erase those savings with insurance payments.

The Journal obtained quotes from Allstate Insurance Corp, and assuming a Washington, D.C. address and a good driving record, found that the WRX could cost nearly $600 more per year to insure than a comparable Ford Taurus.

Your own perfect driving record won't necessarily help you avoid those charges. The Journal explains, "Even if you have a spotless record of safe, accident-free driving in a Subaru WRX, you are also paying for the damage racked up by the other WRX drivers who aren't as careful as you are with this high-performance, turbo-charged machine."

That may ultimately be the problem with the WRX - it's not the car, it's the people who drive it. After all, Edmunds Straightline notes, the WRX offers a lot of horsepower for a low price. "Build a performance car and price it low enough for younger drivers to afford, and then, the insurance companies step into to ruin the fun," they comment.

It's actually possible, IIHS data show, to buy a powerful sports car that's relatively easy to insure. The Corvette Convertible, for instance, makes the list of the ten best insurance risks. Even some relatively affordable sports cars, like the Mazda MX-5 Miata, crack the top ten.

The Ten Worst Vehicles to Insure, according to IIHS data:

1. Subaru Impreza WRX
2. Scion tC
3. Hyundai Tiburon
4. Mercedes CLS class 4dr
5. Suzuki Forenza
6. Honda Civic Si
7. Dodge Charger
8. Nissan 350z
9. Chevrolet Cobalt
10. Suzuki Reno

The Ten Best Vehicles to Insure:

1. Buick Rendezvous
2. Pontiac Solstice
3. Buick Terraza
4. Honda Odyssey
5. Mazda MX-5 Miata
6. Subaru Outback
7. Ford Five Hundred
8. Volvo V70
9. Chrysler Town & Country
10.Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

If you're in the market for a new car, check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars as well as this month's best car deals.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS STM
whattttttttttt
Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
yea boy!!!! I drive a suv..... love it what makes a subaru a subaru.....
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 2015 FR-S
I paid more money to insure my wrx when it was my only vehicle compared to after I bought a pickup truck and made the wrx a secondary vehicle.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Car Info: WRX STI 07
im getting butt raped on my sti but hey who cares its an sti!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Car Info: '15 Legacy Carbide Grey Metallic
^^^ Exactly, why the insurance hating? They should be participating!