Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Forester XT interior heat issues from engine and sitting in the sun

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 06:15 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Forester XT interior heat issues from engine and sitting in the sun

Origami posted by kumari93
Also, even when I'm driving on a cold night, the driver's leg/foot area gets inordinately hot. When I touch that side of the console (where the radio is mounted, etc.), it's burning up. The passenger side of the console is much cooler. Anyone else experiencing this? The dealership is gonna think I'm nuts when I bring it in this week. The car only has 1400 miles on it.

And, no one ever mentions how damn HOT these cars get just from sitting in the sun! OMG! The thing is like a Swedish sauna, even with the reflective shade I always put in the windshield. I've never had such a hot car before. I'm gonna have it tinted as dark as a limo this month because I just can't stand it! You'd think the car was black, but it's not. The car's a dark silver.

Gotta say, however, that the thing is just a BLAST to drive. LOVE the car! Best car I've ever driven (and I've had a Porsche and BMW!). It's just hotter than heck and gets really lousy gas mileage (which sucks because the reason I bought the thing was to get better mileage than my regular, truck-based SUV, which gets 10 mpg).

I'm gonna check the air in my tires this week, but I'm assuming that the dealership inflated them to the proper numbers. Any other suggestions? I even removed the roof racks hoping that would help! Will the window tinting help?

Regards,

Samantha
Above text was originally posted in fuel mileage thread in General forum.

Perhaps Peaty or other Forester XT owners can shed some light and offer some tips on how to cope with the interior heat issue.

Samantha, welcome to i-Club.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I don't own a Forester but the Impreza does get some moderate heat in the footwell area of the firewall and console. It's basically generated from the exhaust system, which is why in the Impreza the heat is felt more on the right side of the floor tunnel (the side where the exhaust runs along the transmission).

There are aftermarket solutions for excessive radiated heat. One is to pull back or remove the carpeting to expose the floor and affix a self-adhesive barrier. Dynamat is specifically designed to attenuate noise and resonance that occurs in the vehicle interior but there are other similar products that incorporate a composite construction that both insulates and reflects heat by use of foam and foil backing. These can be applied to flooring, roof areas, and doors, or anywhere there is access to affix the insulation.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush