Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Can i hook up an amp to my stock deck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 02 wagon
Can i hook up an amp to my stock deck?

I have an 02 wrx and wanted to keep my stock deck because of the 6 disc cd changer but wanted to add an amp for a subwoofer... How can i do that?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 2006 wrx limited sedan
youll need a line level converter. basically a small box or module that converts speaker inputs to rca outputs. the factory deck does not have rca jacks which is what you need to hook up an amp and sub. the converter will take the speaker wires coming from your deck and convert them to rca outputs. the sound quality is not as good but will get the job done. why not change out the factory deck for an aftermarket with rca inputs? a decent converter will cost you 30 to 40 bucks plus additional wiring and labor. simply adding a sub and amp to an otherwise factory setup may produce less than desirable results. if you are going to keep it stock you might want to consider just getting the oem subaru subwoofer. its already amplified and will probably fit in better with your stock setup. just my 2...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:07 PM

i already have the stock sub... I just wanted to upgrade it a little. I really wanted to keep the stock 6 disc cd changer thats why i didnt want an aftermarket deck....
Old 11-08-2006, 07:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I wanted the same things you did. Stock deck with a little extra punch. So I got a line-out converter (I got mine Here) and added a 12 to the back of my wagon. I like the way it sounds. Sure it's not prize-winning by any means, but it certainly gets the job done. It worked out great for me. The only thing you have to be careful of is the stock deck has a bass boost at lower volumes. So you have to do a little micro-managing, but it's not a big deal.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 AM

micro managing...?

whats that? i dont get it?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I just mean that at low volumes the stock head unit has a bass boost built in so you may need to turn the bass down manually at low volumes or up at high volumes. The bass doesn't stay consistent at all volumes.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Wagon/'05 WRX Sedan
Thumbs up

Hey I've got a similar set up wit a converter but just a bit different. I'm running a 12" in the rear of my wagon and upgraded "ALL" speakers too. I've got two amps running everything (one for the "wooff" and the other for door speakers). I had an old EQ (equalizer) in the garage and I thought I'd throw that one in too and see what'd happen. The result is great and like I said, the only mod was the converter (other than speakers, of-course). The EQ allowes me to run everything...I set the head unit with 0 (zero) bass and +5 (all) tweeter. I control the bass, highs and lows from the EQ...thanx to that converter. Only problem is, I damaged the head of the "stock" harness...FIXED IT!...but now the patch is out and I need a new harness. I posted this somewheres alse already but if anyone knows where I can get a new harness, I'd appreciate any info.