Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
what exactly is a road assassin?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I know im going to put this back at the top but i think the OP has pretty much been owned. The more we respond or keep saying the same things I.E. the OP sucks at life the more people see in the opener DO NOT GET TUNED BY PAUL the more undeserved bad publicity he gets. I SAY WE LET THIS ONE DIE. the OP does not posses the intestinal fortitude to repost or defend his douchebaggery so if we stop posting this thred will go away and the post will not be in the top 10. I know the drama is so fun but thats what soap operas are for.....
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Damn three pages of straight draaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmaaaaaaaa!

Hope you all get it worked out!

He should have been man enough to call Paul and hash it out that way first. That would be the "respectable" way of doing it.

anyhow, back to my popcorn.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
and this... is how a drama thread dies
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
The OP should be replying with some sort of explanation, instead of viewing this thread and modifying his original post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Car Info: WRB '08 WRX 5 Door
I looked just before i posted this...OP only has 29 posts on this site and has already pissed off a bunch of people...LOL. Ok thread may die in peace now...
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru STi
Clear up some questions. I have contacted Paul via I-club shortly after the post. My phone died when I was out of town. When I got back I charged the phone and wrote a post. I knew he would see this post and messaged him shortly after. Like I have said, Paul is a good guy and a great mechanic but the evidence that I saw is outstanding, his tune was causing damage. I didn’t hear the knocking since 99% of the time I am blasting music. Also I didn’t go straight ASAP to Paul because I saw 2 outcomes of the situation. 1) He can deny it and try to argue my point with the evidence and be where I am at now. 2) He takes responsibility and attempts to fix it and possibly make it worse. Then I would be back on here with more complaints. When you touch a hot stove do you touch it again? I like Paul as a person but I just don’t trust him anymore and I would feel horrible to allow someone else to come along and have this happen to them. I trusted Paul to do my entire install since he felt more comfortable tuning the car under his wrenching. I could have done some of the install myself but that’s beside the point. I am talking about the Tune not the install.

Reason I told Tuner X to tune without fixing it was because I planned to rebuild the motor years down the road, since its practically still a new car with low miles. Also I don’t have the money for a rebuild. At least with his tune I can slow down the damage that was progressing from Paul’s tune. Now after this I guess I am going to have to do it sooner with a loan. Let just say I never found this out and Paul builds my motor and tunes a brand new built motor (If it didn’t blow by then). Then his tune, like it was, slowly starts to destroy my new block over a series of 4 months. I have a great feeling I would have to argue with him to prove it. I could see the mass amount of excuses. “You didn’t break it in right”, “You put in the wrong mixture”, etc.

I am not here to start an immature argument or some stupid battle. I am not going to name call, muckrake, or act like a kid. I’m posting my experience with what I have seen and felt. You can choose to take my advice or ignore it. You are subject to your own opinion and entitled to it. Why not attack those who write bad reviews about Fry’s? Because it’s a review, emotions and feeling aside, it’s my experience that’s based off physical evidence. Sorry if I pissed some of you off with this post but like I said. Morally I would feel bad to allow someone who is wondering on who to have tune their car, then have this happen to them.

__________________________________________________ __________

P.S. – “DZ - Had he taken the car back to Paul, I am quite sure that Paul would have taken a look and worked with him to resolve any issues. However at this point, even if the motor is a total loss there is no way to prove that it wasn't "Tuner Ed's" changes that caused the problem.”

I saw the plugs before anything. Tuner X didn’t do anything besides testing. No tweaking or modifying. Hooked up a laptop and did a pull then showed me log files. You are throwing up conspiracy theories. Plus like I stated I didn’t want to take it back to chance him making it worse.

__________________________________________________ ______________

P.S - “Tofuman - OP, when you're at meets, admitting that you run your car as hard as you do doesn't help your case. Anyways, if you have a problem, you need to handle it with the person you have the problem with”

Never said I push my car as hard and fast as I can all the time. Take a ride with me or even ask my buddies who drive with me. I am usually 10mph over the speed limit and once in a while I drop gear. Don’t make comments or judgments based off talking to me for about an hour or two and I know who you are.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
why did you post this
The kit works fine except for some reason the failsafe is kicking on
And then this

and then this thread here. did you ever correct the problem with the aquamist kit?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by irrational x
why did you post this

And then this

and then this thread here. did you ever correct the problem with the aquamist kit?
so wait.. you were running your car hard since August, and there was an issue with your aquamist setup?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 AM

Yes Paul corrected it after I had to contact a guy in England to call and troubleshoot Paul through it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM

I wasn't running it hard when it was on Failsafe due to Pauls advised me to crawl until its resolved. Which was serveral months ago.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
The OP should be replying with some sort of explanation, instead of viewing this thread and modifying his original post
At least he recanted the portion saying that I charged him for a part, but did not install it.

For those of you that have not done business with me:

Last summer, I built an engine for a customer to the tune of $5000; new pistons, bearings, seals, etc.
As with all of my engine builds, it was assembled by a Subaru Senior Master Tech with over ten years experience.
In addition, I install an "in flight data recorder" for warranty purposes.
The customer agrees to this before hand.

This particular engine failed, within 978 miles of being installed; rod knock.
The data recorder showed that the customer had driven in a very abusive manner...taking it to red line, high speeds/boost, etc.
Plus, the oil level was low.

As a sign of goodwill, I installed a very good, low mile engine at no cost to the owner.

Even though the owner admitted to be hard on his car.

When a mistake is made...and brought to my attention...I will do what I can, what is reasonable, and what is fair...to rectify it.

For what ever his reason, Ryan Stover decided to air his complaints publicly.
Which is fine.

He wrongly accused me of theft; paying for a part that he did not receive.
When I asked for evidence, he simply edited his original post, with out offering an apology.
I could spend a great deal more time, picking apart his original post, showing that he is, in my opinion, being misled.

But why?

His attitude and the path he has taken has spoken volumes about his character & that of this mysterious Tuner X.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
tool (spike)...get lost
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Spike_916
Yes Paul corrected it after I had to contact a guy in England to call and troubleshoot Paul through it.
Not just a guy, but Richard of Aquamist, who, was able to walk me through, over the phone, on how to properly set up his system.
BTW, Richard told me that the instructions in some of the kits were not correct.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by JArnaud
tool (spike)...get lost
Now, now...let's not bet rude or inflammatory.
Let him speak.

Quick Reply: Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned