Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Not just a guy, but Richard of Aquamist, who, was able to walk me through, over the phone, on how to properly set up his system.
BTW, Richard told me that the instructions in some of the kits were not correct.
now THAT is customer service!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
now THAT is customer service!
Paul delivered a new oil filler cap to me in Tahoe and even brought oil to replace the stuff that i had bukakkeed across my block
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
Originally Posted by Spike_916
I didn’t hear the knocking since 99% of the time I am blasting music.
So how would you know when there is a problem with your car? Little problems grow in to big ones and you not paying attention places even more responsibility in your lap. How do you know you didn't just get a bad tank of gas?

Take some personal responsibility here, you spend all this cash on a car, a tune and a "dope system" and you can't spend a few more bucks for knock monitoring?

Again, you pay to play.

I saw the plugs before anything. Tuner X didn’t do anything besides testing. No tweaking or modifying. Hooked up a laptop and did a pull then showed me log files. You are throwing up conspiracy theories. Plus like I stated I didn’t want to take it back to chance him making it worse.
Did you change your plugs after the aquamist issues? Have you ever changed your plugs?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by irrational x
That it does! :sips on Rockstar while listening to boring **** conference call:
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Car Info: 70 BMW 1600
Sounds like Spike screwed up his car and is looking to put the blame on someone else. So if the engine fails days/weeks/months from now are you going to make a thread saying to avoid "TunerX@eqtuning"
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by ryansti
Sounds like Spike screwed up his car and is looking to put the blame on someone else. So if the engine fails days/weeks/months from now are you going to make a thread saying to avoid "TunerX@eqtuning"
You're not serious, are you?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I believe he is

why?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 70 BMW 1600

I am, read Dz's post up above ^^^ He sums it up!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM

From all the OP has explained, it sounds like he cares about his car and took action once he noticed things were not up to par. Definitely does not sound like neglected to maintain the car.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
What if tuner x wiped a ring land while tuning your car? Is he responsible?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
dz

Car Info: 1996 Mustang GT/2013 Outback Limited
From all the OP has explained, it sounds like he cares about his car and took action once he noticed things were not up to par. Definitely does not sound like neglected to maintain the car.
Part of maintaining your car is listening to what it is telling you. If you drive with your stereo volume cranked to the "one louder" position of eleven you can't hear what your car is telling you.

That's like going to the store to buy dog food after poor little fluffy already starved to death...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ipozestu
What if tuner x wiped a ring land while tuning your car? Is he responsible?
Thats a tough question and should be discussed with the tuner/shop...... I guess thats one of the risks of built blocks and modding (but you know that all too well, unfortunately).
Old 02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Hypothetical question of course.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
And, unfortunately, you'll never know how I could have handled the situation as you decided to go nuclear.

Originally Posted by Spike_916
Clear up some questions. I have contacted Paul via I-club shortly after the post. My phone died when I was out of town. When I got back I charged the phone and wrote a post. I knew he would see this post and messaged him shortly after. Like I have said, Paul is a good guy and a great mechanic but the evidence that I saw is outstanding, his tune was causing damage. I didn’t hear the knocking since 99% of the time I am blasting music. Also I didn’t go straight ASAP to Paul because I saw 2 outcomes of the situation. 1) He can deny it and try to argue my point with the evidence and be where I am at now. 2) He takes responsibility and attempts to fix it and possibly make it worse. Then I would be back on here with more complaints. When you touch a hot stove do you touch it again? I like Paul as a person but I just don’t trust him anymore and I would feel horrible to allow someone else to come along and have this happen to them. I trusted Paul to do my entire install since he felt more comfortable tuning the car under his wrenching. I could have done some of the install myself but that’s beside the point. I am talking about the Tune not the install.

Reason I told Tuner X to tune without fixing it was because I planned to rebuild the motor years down the road, since its practically still a new car with low miles. Also I don’t have the money for a rebuild. At least with his tune I can slow down the damage that was progressing from Paul’s tune. Now after this I guess I am going to have to do it sooner with a loan. Let just say I never found this out and Paul builds my motor and tunes a brand new built motor (If it didn’t blow by then). Then his tune, like it was, slowly starts to destroy my new block over a series of 4 months. I have a great feeling I would have to argue with him to prove it. I could see the mass amount of excuses. “You didn’t break it in right”, “You put in the wrong mixture”, etc.

I am not here to start an immature argument or some stupid battle. I am not going to name call, muckrake, or act like a kid. I’m posting my experience with what I have seen and felt. You can choose to take my advice or ignore it. You are subject to your own opinion and entitled to it. Why not attack those who write bad reviews about Fry’s? Because it’s a review, emotions and feeling aside, it’s my experience that’s based off physical evidence. Sorry if I pissed some of you off with this post but like I said. Morally I would feel bad to allow someone who is wondering on who to have tune their car, then have this happen to them.

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 02-03-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
And, unfortunately, you'll never know how I have handled the situation as you decided to go nuclear.
lets not forget that he also trusted the professional opinion of a tuner who has, admittedly, "band-aid" tuned cars with blown motors so they can run decent enough to be sold...

Quick Reply: Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned