Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
and a true "tuner" would say, "take it back to whoever tuned the car, they will help you with your issues"
you would sure think so..

I know personally i've hear Paul tell a customer if anything goes wrong or have any questions feel free to bring the car in or give him a call....
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
no not everyone can just do that.. but why would you tune a car that has internal issues? By doing so wouldnt the tuner then take resonsibility for the car (to a certain extent), but why would the tuner take that kind of risk when he knows its not running right?
Well, if it was my car, I would have done the same thing (get the car running properly until I made a decision on what path I wanted to take with the car (fix, upgrade, etc). Everyone in this thread already said the compression wasn't horrible, so if the car can be retuned to run more efficiently, I would go for it.

As far as responsibility goes, I dont know what kind of Warranty Paul or TunerX gave on the tuning and work done. That should be discussed between the tuner and the owner.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
you would sure think so..

I know personally i've hear Paul tell a customer if anything goes wrong or have any questions feel free to bring the car in or give him a call....
i also know that if people come in with other tunes he asks if they have contacted the tuner, and y didn't they go to them...??
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Also, I've always gotten the impression that tuning has always kinda been an at your own risk kind of thing. I know that when I was Tuned by Mike, he gave me a waiver I had to sign that pretty much said he wasn't liable (which I signed).
Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Also, I've always gotten the impression that tuning has always kinda been an at your own risk kind of thing. I know that when I was Tuned by Mike, he gave me a waiver I had to sign that pretty much said he wasn't liable (which I signed).
But MOST tuners. including Paul, would gladly go back and look at his own tune to see if it was his fault or not.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Interesting story. I've been at Paul's and he's always done jobs for me pretty good. Tuning I wouldn't know (as I have not had a tune at anyone's place).

I can quote these things from 2 respective shops..
Paul says he's been runnin ethanol for the past 50k miles on his car without a problem using a fail safe AQ kit.

Kevin @ AutoHQ explained to me that no matter how well the spray is mixed, the actual spraying into the cylinder is not an equal gradient. Meaning the mix could have more on top in the compression or on bottom, or sides. (more ethanol than gasoline in an area in the cylinder upon detonation)
Kevin has also said he's looked at it with his computer, and the detonations (no matter how it's sprayed into the cylinder) are not consistent enough for safe power, nothing over maybe 10-20hp. He advised me to do other mods and dont play with the spray.
This again comes from an Ex Subaru Mechanic for 10-15years at Carlsen Subaru.

For the record, I dont think the author of the post wrote this up for fun and bash on Paul. We know good vendors and bad vendors and good dealerships and bad dealerships, but that is why this forum is here. Figuring out the issues and the best way to deal with them (as we know a car is an investment) and we all want the best for our cars.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 PM

But MOST tuners. including Paul, would gladly go back and look at his own tune to see if it was his fault or not.

Look, I'm not talking smack about Paul, I know he has a good reputation here - hell, I bought my STi used and modded with a custom map from Paul. I ran if for a few thousand miles and it ran great. I added some more mods and had somebody else tune it, they didnt say anything bad about the previous tune and the car runs great to this date.

Not sure why my posts are being scrutinized, I just hope the OP has good luck with his car.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Look, I'm not talking smack about Paul, I know he has a good reputation here - hell, I bought my STi used and modded with a custom map from Paul. I ran if for a few thousand miles and it ran great. I added some more mods and had somebody else tune it, they didnt say anything bad about the previous tune and the car runs great to this date.

Not sure why my posts are being scrutinized, I just hope the OP has good luck with his car.

im not bashing on you either. just questioning, that is all
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
im not bashing on you either. just questioning, that is all
ya im not tryin to bash on you either man.. just bringing up questions and opionions myself

i would like spike to get online and clear up any of these loose ends...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
I dont think the author of the post wrote this up for fun and bash on Paul. We know good vendors and bad vendors and good dealerships and bad dealerships, but that is why this forum is here. Figuring out the issues and the best way to deal with them (as we know a car is an investment) and we all want the best for our cars.
I agree. More information about a vendor or product, whether it be good or bad (as long as its truthful) is good in the long run for the subie community. No matter how informational/non biased a bad review is, some people will always pop up and take it personal. THis has happened counless times in the past with Vishnu, Gruppe-S, FLI, GST, etc. Take it as information and hopefully the shop and customer can shake hands in the end.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Name:  Capture-3.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  12.7 KB

to the OP

id just thought id throw this in
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb

to the OP

id just thought id throw this in
zing
Old 02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
I think OP needs to come back in here and give out more details. Definitely a couple messed up things he did that I dont understand and question:
1) Why not go back to Paul or at least call him before making this thread?
2) Did you really expect the people in here (that worship the ground he walks on) to agree or sympathize with you?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Kevin @ AutoHQ explained to me that no matter how well the spray is mixed, the actual spraying into the cylinder is not an equal gradient. Meaning the mix could have more on top in the compression or on bottom, or sides. (more ethanol than gasoline in an area in the cylinder upon detonation)
Kevin has also said he's looked at it with his computer, and the detonations (no matter how it's sprayed into the cylinder) are not consistent enough for safe power, nothing over maybe 10-20hp. He advised me to do other mods and dont play with the spray.
This again comes from an Ex Subaru Mechanic for 10-15years at Carlsen Subaru.
Sorry but I had to quote this as it's 1:30am and I am just getting back home from the shop when someone linked this thread to me.

If your talking about methonal injection and referring to it in it's typical form of injection i.e pre throttle body as used in most popular street kits such as Aquamist, SMC, AEM, Cooling Mist etc etc then your source of reference is talking complete crap! based on the injection happening pre throttle plate opening then there is no way for what you described to be happening, if it were then you would have inconsistent airflow from the IC as well as it's pre throttle plate as well. Obviously this is based on systems using nozzles designed to atomosize the airflow (sorry about the spelling it's late!)

As for the OP, What were the leakdown numbers? you stated a cylinder had a leaky intake valve I believe, any idea what caused this? Typically about all will break a valve on a stock cam is a over rev or **** going through it somehow as you can't advance the cam timing enough on a stock cam with stock oil pressure to cause interference and everyone knows bottom ends break from tuning the top end then takes the fall from it.

Mike

Last edited by GST Motorsports; 02-03-2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Late and Tired!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: a blue car
This thread is ridiculous. This should have been handled person to person between the parties involved.

Oh, and this guy showed up to the meet tonight and started preaching about his "bad experience" with dbtuned to everyone there. I read this thread earlier today, didn't really care to hear it again, so I continued with other conversations going on at the time. Threads like these are nothing more than "Look at me" threads.

OP, when you're at meets, admitting that you run your car as hard as you do doesn't help your case. Anyways, if you have a problem, you need to handle it with the person you have the problem with.

Chicken.. nice find btw!

Quick Reply: Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned