Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by porkchop
was this done at TDC? .... just curious...

tommy sighting!

ok this thread has gone from epic to super epic
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by JArnaud
from what I gather, there was concern that Tuner X was telling prospective customers that their tune was all bad and ruining their engine when, in fact, that was not the case at all. I could be mistaken.
I'm sure TunerX saw damage that was done to the engine, but was not able to determine if it was driver or a lemon engine. They probably didn't have access to the special "black box" of Paul's warranty issue in there. I'm sure if they saw what Paul saw, they would say it wasn't the tune, it was probably the driver...

But then against there is no such thing as 100% guarantee that all engines work even if assembled carefully. Either way a shop will bust a mistake here n' there. (not sayin it was Paul's this time) And that is the reason why you go back n' try to have the shop fix it ONCE. Any more than once I'd give up on the shop too.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I was bored today and went through alot of old threds about this sort of thing and bottom line you can find a mistake or a bad experience about just about any shop. As end users of modified Subarus the thing we all need to take responsibility for is you must pay to play. Sometimes the cost for modifying is the reliability of our engines. Look anywhere throught the forum and hey big suprise cylinder #3's compression was off WOW big suprise. What is not fair to the people who tune our engines is to bash them when a mistake is made without giving them the opportunity to correct the issue. If the OP said Paul jacked his engine up with his tune by taking the word of tuner X maybe he should have taken it to tuner Y for another opinion. We are all really saying the same thing and keeping the thread alive by regurgitating the same crap over and over. With the exception of some people want to defend tuner x, and other want to defend Paul. Bottom line Pauls customers will continue to be Pauls customers and tuner x's customers will continue to be Tuner X's customers. I think one of the great reasons to have this forum is we are a community and we are here to help eachother. I dont think the OP was trying to help or warn others rather just air his frustrations and I dont think it was fair to Paul.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I was bored today and went through alot of old threds about this sort of thing and bottom line you can find a mistake or a bad experience about just about any shop. As end users of modified Subarus the thing we all need to take responsibility for is you must pay to play. Sometimes the cost for modifying is the reliability of our engines. Look anywhere throught the forum and hey big suprise cylinder #3's compression was off WOW big suprise. What is not fair to the people who tune our engines is to bash them when a mistake is made without giving them the opportunity to correct the issue. If the OP said Paul jacked his engine up with his tune by taking the word of tuner X maybe he should have taken it to tuner Y for another opinion. We are all really saying the same thing and keeping the thread alive by regurgitating the same crap over and over. With the exception of some people want to defend tuner x, and other want to defend Paul. Bottom line Pauls customers will continue to be Pauls customers and tuner x's customers will continue to be Tuner X's customers. I think one of the great reasons to have this forum is we are a community and we are here to help eachother. I dont think the OP was trying to help or warn others rather just air his frustrations and I dont think it was fair to Paul.

srsly....look at the thread title...
Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DbTuned.... how is that not trying to warn people...

or the first sentence from the OP

Originally Posted by Spike_916
Do not go to DBTuned unless for service, bolt-ons, or mechanical issues, but don’t let him tune your car.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
tommy sighting!

ok this thread has gone from epic to super epic
Awww man you beat me to it. Tommah howz it?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by offseasonmvp
nOOb settings? arent u like 15? respect our 3yr gap dang it!
I just said it because I got the same **** and I had a chance to say it once haha. Nothing against you.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
I'm here for the gang bang.

P.S. I'm my own tuner (Tuner DP) and have only myself to blame if something goes south. Man up or get out. Stock stuff breaks. Modified stuff breaks more frequently.

LOL@MBC. Might as well use a carburator while your at it. ECU controlled timing?? What a joke. That's what distributors are for. Duh.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by Double Phister
LOL@MBC. Might as well use a carburator while your at it. ECU controlled timing?? What a joke. That's what distributors are for. Duh.
^^^^^
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by boxerfxt
So because someone says that they think its Ed It must be him? Everyone on this post has something great to say about Paul.. this sounds like the old I-club when everybody use to love Nate till Paul got his shop?
This is patently false; Nate & Joe parted ways, Nate moved on to something else, I bought the dyno from Nate, was in the process of selling it to a 3rd party when I decided to open my own shop.

Ill say it again EVERYBODY blows motors and there is a possibility for human error in every tune. that dont make one worse than the other.. if the knock sensor was picking up knock then it was audible inside the car and the fault is with the owner of the car.... I have a opinion on db tuned but I keep it to myself and leave him alone. that being said it was wrong to blast Paul without talking to him first but its just as bad to talk about tuner x when he has happy customers also....
I've had three motors fail on the dyno whilst tuning; LS300 w/aftermarket turbo kit, 2005 WRX w/ VF43, and a 2002 WRX w/ EJ22 swap.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Car Info: 2005 forester
[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2512784]This is patently false; Nate & Joe parted ways, Nate moved on to something else, I bought the dyno from Nate, was in the process of selling it to a 3rd party when I decided to open my own shop.

ok joe and nate may have split but... everybody swung from nates nuts. as he was a great tuner. Then he went on to teaching but if you bought the dyno from nate? who did you pay? The finance company? and the 15k for software from joe? no money went to nate...Paul im not on here to talk about you as a tuner I think its great you have a following but there are better tuners that have more experience and have been around alot longer than you. you spent alot of dyno time on your sti and learning to tune and it has paid off for you.
congrats.....

I've had three motors fail on the dyno whilst tuning; LS300 w/aftermarket turbo kit, 2005 WRX w/ VF43, and a 2002 WRX w/ EJ22 swap..

Ok the statment was everybody blows a motor! I never asked how many! I dont really care? If I took my car to have it tuned and It blew up so what? fix it? In the end it is the owners fault anyway as you and I both know that knock is audible way before the knock sensors pick it up and pull timing.....

That being said It was wrong for the op to say to avoid you for tuning. I dont share his opinion on that ... have a great day.

Last edited by boxerfxt; 02-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon

I'm not sure where you get your information, but it's only somewhat correct.

And when you say that "there are better tuners...", what are you basing your opinion on?

Just because a tuner has people trumpeting his prowess as a tuning gangsta, does not necessarily make him a better tuner.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
tuning gangsta
awesome
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

I'm not sure where you get your information, but it's only somewhat correct.

And when you say that "there are better tuners...", what are you basing your opinion on?

Just because a tuner has people trumpeting his prowess as a tuning gangsta, does not necessarily make him a better tuner.
I think thats the problem Paul, you do not have enough dyno queens like others do

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
everybody swung from nates nuts.
Breaking news: Good people earn a following.

More at 11.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I think thats the problem Paul, you do not have enough dyno queens like others do

he needs to adjust the dyno to make it look like stock wrx's and sti's are making goobs of power from paul's tuning.

Quick Reply: Avoid Tuning By Paul @ DBTuned