The Reverend's shaggin wagon - Page 22 - i-Club

Go Back  i-Club > General Forums > Ongoing Projects
The Reverend's shaggin wagon >

The Reverend's shaggin wagon

Notices
Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

The Reverend's shaggin wagon

Old 04-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT View Post
3 months with one exhaust? That's nearly a lifetime for you!
Held out as long as I could. lol

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
puuuuuurge

Again, I ****ing forgot the radiator shroud at home when we went to the cabin this weekend and went shooting
Let me know when do. I may want in on that action, too.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Finally found it!

I feel you on the Q300. Same thing happened to me.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large View Post

Let me know when do. I may want in on that action, too.
down for that
Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Call me Pebbles

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Finally found it!

Ain't this the god damn truth.

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
I feel you on the Q300. Same thing happened to me.
Definitely digging the Q300 more than the average. May even make it through the summer on it.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Call me Pebbles

Spent most of yesterday and a little bit of today in the garage.

Did an oil change on Toby. Switched over to PennGrade1 that's popular with the sprint and circle track guys since it plays well with ethanol:

We'll see how it goes.

Autocross coming up in a few weeks, I figured it was time to scrub in the tires and got some new meats for Nicole car:

Finally had time to tackle the rear suspension. I wasn't able to get the lateral links installed because.. well, look:

Not entirely sure what the one on the right is from, but it definitely is not a 04 STi. Got about halfway through burning out the old bushings before I notice so those aren't going in until I find one rear 04 STi lateral link. :eyeroll:

Since the rear adjustable lateral links aren't going in yet, I went ahead and installed the old 27 mm Whiteline WRX rear sway bar I have (re)using the old Perrin c-shape polyurethane end links. Once I can source an 04 STi rear lateral link, I can put the STi rear sway bar and end links in, but, until then, they will have to stay in their respective packages. Installed the OE STi rear sway bar mounts while everything was out. Hopefully, the reinforced design will hold up to the bigger fatter bars. I was able to get the front all sorted, though: new Whiteline 27 mm front sway bar and adjustable end links went without any drama. Just need to center the bar and put the lock collars in place, then I'll be all done up front.

Haven't had the chance to beat on the new suspension with any of the oversteer/understeer MapDCCD maps yet, but hammering around town on "auto", the car feels pretty neutral. There is definitely much less boy roll with the bigger bars and stiffer springs. The car tends to push a little when overcooking, but that's to be expected. When I finally get the rear all done with the adjustable end links, I can bust out the scales and start messing with corner balancing.

Just got the AOS and radiator left, but not a huge necessity yet. At least, not big enough to warrant killing myself over to get them in by autocross.

Until then, obligatory fill up pic:

Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Churro Aficionado

How much is that oil? Did you buy per qt or big jug of it?

How does it play nicer with ethanol? Would it still be ok with gas too?
Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Call me Pebbles

How much is that oil? Did you buy per qt or big jug of it?

How does it play nicer with ethanol? Would it still be ok with gas too?
$90 for a 12-quart box on amazon. Buying it that way actually comes out to be cheaper, per quart, for a jug of Motul.

Whatever additives/secret sauce they add to is more resistant to ethanol contamination--my guess, and this is purely a guess, the additives introduced increase the density without affecting viscosity thus sealing the rings better and preventing contamination in the oil. It's popular with the sprint car and circle track guys who running alcohol-based fuels. I figure if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Plus, it's green!!

(not my picture)

I don't see why it would't be OK for gas since they started as a lubricant for gas-powered motors and introduced ethanol-compatible additives.

My motor on ethanol seems to be hard on oils. It breaks down and burns Motul 8100 5w40 at a rate of about a quart per 1500-2000 miles. A quart of whatever semi-synthetic 5w30 M45 put in it last time was eaten up in about 900 miles. We'll see how 10w30 PennGrade goes.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Churro Aficionado

Interesting! Last I was there Tony told me about the oil they were using and that it seemed to burn less than whatever weight they had used prior.

The STi burns quick... I check oil levels like every other time I fill up.

Gotta update on how it runs after a change or two of that stuff.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 04GGB again! and a blue car
Interesting! Last I was there Tony told me about the oil they were using and that it seemed to burn less than whatever weight they had used prior.

The STi burns quick... I check oil levels like every other time I fill up.

Gotta update on how it runs after a change or two of that stuff.
You run 30 or 40? I noticed on the FXT that it burned less when I ran 5W40 (169K). Even the STI now with just 25K burns a little if I do anything other than "normal" daily driving.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Churro Aficionado

If I remember correctly, ive got 5w30 in there. Id have to double check the bottle in the garage tho lol (also keep 1 qt in the trunk as a "just in case" backup).
Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Call me Pebbles

Got the replacement lateral link. Full set of 2004 STi arms ready to go in once I swap bushings. With those, adjustable end links and new sway bar can go in. AND.. in yet another somewhat fortuitous late night eBay purchase: Carbing subframe brace coming. All the stiffness.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Call me Pebbles

Can't believe I forgot to add these--autocross pictures:

You can see how low the rear crossmember of the Carbing subframe brace hangs down in this shot:

..and just because it's a cool shot.. and because vanity:

I wasn't able to get these in in time for autocross, but finally installed the solid STi lateral links along with the new 27 mm sway bar and adjustable end links.

Just need a good alignment--thinking about getting toe plates and making stands, and having a go at it myself--and possibly corner balancing, and the suspension will be all sorted.. for now.. until I change something else.. who knows.. a car is never done done, amiright?

Next up: IAG AOS and Koyo radiator.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Call me Pebbles

Bunch of updates and stuff finally installed. Got the Koyo radiator, IAG Street AOS, Deka mini battery, and Schroth harness in. Plus I removed a bunch of weight to see how much different the car feels without it. Weeeee!!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Churro Aficionado

Need sandbags in the back
Old 05-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Call me Pebbles

I drove it Sunday after finishing everything up. The back end wanted to step out both getting on the gas getting on the freeway AND slamming on the brakes trying to not rear end the Prius I was rapidly approaching after getting on the gas. lol It so weird, the back end feels so light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Reverend's shaggin wagon

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.