Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza 2.5TS
Thanks guys, this stuff is time consuming but I had some help from my fiancée. She has been wanting to learn how to install audio gear so what better way to start then Dynamat.
I have done the entire hatch area with two layers plus a layer of black carpet. This is to reduce noise for both the audio system and future exhaust system, plus it will stop any vibrations from the audio installation rubbing on anything.

Will have more pictures of the installation in the next few weeks. I am getting ready to paint all of the fiberglass this week.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Did some more work over the weekend.
Installed a set of front and rear sway bars. Now for those of your that know your Subaru parts these are knock-off J-spec STI bars. You can all laugh but they were $55 shipped off eBay. I figured what the hell for the price.
Actually they are not bad for the price. steel brackets with tig welded alunimun bars.
I pulled the brackets off, removed the pink powder coat the then sent them out to get recoated in silver with clear blue so they match the rest of the installation.

Like most of the aftermarket bars out there I had to move the AC line. Rather then just pushing it out of the way I removed the bracket and cut it down to fit around the strut bar. Then some silver paint and wola a factory looking bracket.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-p9137004.jpg   2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-p9137002.jpg   2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-p9137006.jpg  
Old 09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Talking

Here are pictures of the rear bar and battery installation.
The rear bar is cool because I can easily remove the bar if I need the cargo space.

As for the battery install.
I made my own bracket with 1/4" x 2" aluminum bar from home depot. using a hole-saw and router I created the shape and edges. It was then sand-blasted and powder coated in clear bllue.

I had to replace several wires as well since the terminal loactions are different then the stock battery.
New engine ground, starter line, body ground, and additional ground to the shock tower and ignition coil.
Used some blue braided loom to help accent the wiring.

Hoping to get the rest of the audio install painted and in during the next few weeks. Will post more pictures as things get done.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-p9137007.jpg   2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-p9137003.jpg  
Old 09-16-2004, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Just finished the paint work on the amplifier rack and subwoofer enclosure.
Still have to finish up the floor cover and trim panels but you at least get the basic idea.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-newamprack.jpg  
Old 09-19-2004, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Wow. That's all I can say. The rear build up looks awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product.

-Brian
Old 09-19-2004, 11:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 toyota tacoma
i like how you set up the trunk by making brackets or cubicals for your audio equiment. clever...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Thanks guys.

Everything is modular but all bolts together for a solid mounting setup.
This lay out took me three tries before I came up with what you see not. This is the one that will stay. This also makes it easier for when I want to change something out I do not have to rebuild the entire thing.

I can't wait for this to be finished - hopefully in the next few weeks. This has been an on going summer project that I really want to be done with.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
hey thats neat how the spare goes over the sub, any ideas for a sedan trunk for that kind of set up?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:35 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
Hey I was trying to get some hard specs on your gear, but JBL doesn't have those items on their website. So, what's the wattage on the amps & the min space that the sub will work in?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:38 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
hey thats neat how the spare goes over the sub, any ideas for a sedan trunk for that kind of set up?
I would suggest a similar setup to this. I am working on an idea that will work with the factory spare tire and should fit the wagon as well as the sedan.

A 10" will work a little easier if you want to keep the factory spare tire.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:45 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EsoterikWRX
Hey I was trying to get some hard specs on your gear, but JBL doesn't have those items on their website. So, what's the wattage on the amps & the min space that the sub will work in?
The amp is a new model that was recently released in the US. it is called the JBL CS200.1.
Specs are about 230 wrms @ 4-ohms or 330wrms @ 2-ohms
It comes in a textured black finish, I had the heat sink sand blasted and finished in the clear blue powder coat so it matched the rest of the installation.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:01 AM
VIP Member

Finally the AEM 2.5 cold air intake

I finally got my intake in from AEM. I have been waiting a while for this since the design has been pending nearly a year.

Installation was not too bad; the hard part is you have the remove the wheel-well trim in order to get the filter in place. In all the installation took me about 40 minutes.

Their directions are pretty good with lots of installation pictures.
The only problem I had was this system was designed on a 2003 model and I have a 04'. There is a support bracket for the factory intake that is not used on the 04' (pretty sure the 05' as well) but is needed to properly support the AEM intake. After installing the intake I went to subaruparts.com and ordered the bracket from a 02' ($5) that fit perfectly.

There is a noticeable gain in power, considering that this is my first power mod to the vehicle. Also noticeable is the higher levels of engine noise with hard acceleration. If you stomp on the gas it sounds like I have more then an intake going on - it is pretty cool. Under normal driving conditions it sounds fine, a slight increase in motor noise since the giant plastic air box is no longer there.

Also ran this by the warranty guy at my dealership and he said this will not effect my warranty - it is an enhancement not a modification. Nice play on words to get around the little details.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-aem-intake-1.jpg   2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-aem-intake-2.jpg   2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon-aem-intake-3.jpg  
Old 11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
Sure - send me a pm and I can provide more details and pictures of the enclosure.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Why you lazy crap for crap! I don't see the finished product pics..

Just thought I'd find this thread and say hi.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Talking Of cource there are no finished pics.

I just finished it in time for the IASCA Finals. And while in Louisville my digital camera got damaged, soooo it will be a few weeks before I can get the finished pics up.

Anyway you were there and got to see it in person.

Hey it was great to meet you there. Let me know it you need any with with desiging the enclosure for your Subie.

Quick Reply: 2004 Impreza 2.5 wagon