SRIC Mountain Bike Crew!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
How about a bike day for us n00bs that are out of shape? I'd have to figure out how to get the bike there but wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

<---out o shape
Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
What kind of "noob" trails are you interested in? The only problem with the trails we ride up in the foothills is that they're all pretty hilly :\.

We could do a super fun day where we parked a car at the confluence, then one at the top in Auburn and ride stage coach straight down (switch backs) to the bottom of the canyon. THAT is fun
Old 05-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
What kind of "noob" trails are you interested in? The only problem with the trails we ride up in the foothills is that they're all pretty hilly :\.

We could do a super fun day where we parked a car at the confluence, then one at the top in Auburn and ride stage coach straight down (switch backs) to the bottom of the canyon. THAT is fun
Sweeeeet! That sound like a good start. Then we could take off the chains and make it a coasting race. No effort FTW!!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3
Sweeeeet! That sound like a good start. Then we could take off the chains and make it a coasting race. No effort FTW!!!!
lol, negative! Once we get to the bottom we'd probably ride some of the other trails in the area. Stagecoach is taxing as far as your skills are concerned - you can get going pretty fast and if you don't make a turn there's nothing to stop you. You can fly off the side. I've almost had it happen - it's scary . But at the bottom, you're not all that tired, so you can definitely squeeze in some more riding.

I'd be down to set a day up like that - if others want to climb stagecoach they can but there's no way in hell I'm doing it . Maybe if we do this ride, once we get to the bottom we can ride clementine or some other trails that are down there.

Dan - would you bring Mrs. Axe? Maybe we could do a Sunday in around 10am and I could try to bring Josey or something.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon
whew, i had a blast.
showed me exactly HOW out of shape I am!

Olmstead is thrashed! wonder if Salmon Falls wouldn't be as bad, since its bike only.

either way, horses sux! they ruined the trail in a large amount of areas.
misribly muddy like sonic said. but it was still fun.

you going Wednesday? maybe i'll try to make it out. what time do you plan on getting there? 5:30-ish?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by pozzi
whew, i had a blast.

Olmstead is thrashed! wonder if Salmon Falls wouldn't be as bad, since its bike only.

you going Wednesday? maybe i'll try to make it out. what time do you plan on getting there? 5:30-ish?
I'd be down for Salmon. It's pretty long if you do the whole thing all they way to the campground, but you can always stop anywhere along the way and just turn around if you don't want to ride 20miles (think that's the total loop/out and back). Plus once you cross that little bridge I think there is a bunch of other off shoots you can hit.

Don't know if I can do Sunday. I'll check with the wife and maybe if we can get a Babysitter and she can go too. She's hardcore on the climbing! Smokes me big time!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

whew, i had a blast.

I'd be down to do Olmstead again. What do you think about riding the loop in reverse? Is Tomorrow or Wednesday better for you guys? Now that I'm feeling better (allergies OWNED me on Saturday after I got home) I'm itching (<-- ISWYDT) to get back out and do some riding. I'd probably get up there between 4:30 and 5:30, whenever you guys could make it.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:16 AM

can't do tues. wed would be fine if it works for you.

if not, we've got plenty of days ahead of us. (plus the wifey won't be tutoring once scholl is out, so i'll have some more freedom on my after work sched.

i still need to clean my bike...looks like poop!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

can't do tues. wed would be fine if it works for you.
Wednesday is aok for me. My only dead days are Monday and Thursday (until the semester ends in a few weeks). We riding Saturday again? If my allergies don't end me this weekend I'd be interested in trying to ride Saturday and Sunday.

i still need to clean my bike...looks like poop!
Same. My bike is thrashed. I also want to put on my bar ends. I'll probably do that tomorrow night.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

OH, and FYI - No biking at Northstar this season:

OWNED
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Quarry Trail is a good noob trail. I've taken quite a few first timers out there. I also took a group of girls out FDLT and except for being a bit slower at the end and having to walk two of the hills they were just fine. Olmstead would be good for noobs too if it wasn't so thrashed right now.

Clementine is not a noob trail just because it's a long, steep climb followed by a rocky descent and a rocky cliffside singletrack.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

So maybe if we rode stagecoach down we could ride right over to Western States and go from there? I'd be down to do FHLD sometime soon, though I'd like to try it from the lower lot. Also, I read on MTBR that a guy had a mountain lion encounter on FHLD over the weekend
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM

OH, and FYI - No biking at Northstar this season:

OWNED
booo!
:tear:
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
So maybe if we rode stagecoach down we could ride right over to Western States and go from there? I'd be down to do FHLD sometime soon, though I'd like to try it from the lower lot. Also, I read on MTBR that a guy had a mountain lion encounter on FHLD over the weekend

I've only seen two so far while mountain biking, as well as Momma bear and her cub. Usually they just run off - what happened with the guy this weekend?

As for FDLT, the ride from the lower lot is the same as the ride from the upper lot, except with the addition of the short out and back from the lot to the trailhead.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Also, I read on MTBR that a guy had a mountain lion encounter on FHLD over the weekend
That's why Egan packs a blade when he's MTB'n!!!!

Quick Reply: SRIC Mountain Bike Crew!