rapidly loosing oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 AM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by joejoe69
While your car is running, loosen the oil cap and let it sit on the oil filler tube. If the cap dances around and you see pressurized vapors and oil shooting out of the filler tube, you got some good blow by. Blow by is from rings going bad or a cracked ring land. But anyway, your compression check is okay all across so it's less likely the cause.

Easiest solution: Just clean it up like everyone says, go for a short drive, stop, and take a peak under and see where its coming from. You can't see it leak in idle unless it's a really bad leak.
i thought you were supposed to look for smoke? my car has always sputtered a tad bit of oil out the filler neck when doing this test due to oil the oil splashed around in the crank case. ive seen cars with bad rings or ringlands smoke out the filler.

i always thought blow by was oil sucked from pcv and valve cover ventilation ports as i assumed the term "blow by" was associated with the nasty mess of oil you find on the intake side of an engine. the blow by you describe sounds like it will only be detected on the exhaust side. so what does the term "blow by" really mean lol

Edit: yay google http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/blowby.html

Last edited by juniorsti; 04-29-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Blow by is actually compression gases going past your rings and ending up in your crankcase, pushing oil or even gasoline out with it. It does look like smoke and it also comes out of every vent your block and heads have.

Just like this:

Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by 04sleeper
you probably would smell it burning off but if the leak is low enough and the amount small it would blow under the car and you wouldn't see it or probably smell it. most every subaru has an oil leak/seep issue of some kind. if you see drips on the ground then it's not a small leak and two weeks of driving it around like that would explain your losing so much oil. when the motor is pulled you will likely see you have oil leaking from more than one place but at least you're going to take care of it. for now just keep topping it off.
i would think that only older subarus have leaks/seepage issues? because my sti doesnt have any kind of issue like that...and its at 40k miles...thanks for your insights...yeah, im pretty sure the leak isnt small..just not sure where its all going:/

Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
Uhhh, most importantly, what kind of car is this? If it's a cam seal, you'll see oil leaking from the timing belt cover. If it's a valve cover gasket, you'll see it leaking from the sides of the block. If it's leaking from the backish, it could be the half moon seals on the back of the heads, maybe a rear main seal. If you're pulling the motor anyway, you'll find it pretty easily, don't worry. Keep checking your oil level and topping it off till it gets pulled. If your oil light comes on, you're wayyyyy to low on oil already. Be careful.
it san 02 wrx. i had it jacked up the other day...the fresh drips looks like its coming from the passenger side of the block and possibly on the timing belt cover...probably why my friend said cam seal and valve cover gasket. i see drips on the drivers side of the block but they look old and not fresh.

Originally Posted by houdni
I'll pull it!...need the practice working on a subaru...
serious? or being sarcastic?

Originally Posted by joejoe69
While your car is running, loosen the oil cap and let it sit on the oil filler tube. If the cap dances around and you see pressurized vapors and oil shooting out of the filler tube, you got some good blow by. Blow by is from rings going bad or a cracked ring land. But anyway, your compression check is okay all across so it's less likely the cause.

Easiest solution: Just clean it up like everyone says, go for a short drive, stop, and take a peak under and see where its coming from. You can't see it leak in idle unless it's a really bad leak.
ill try to do this today if i remember:P loosening the oil cap....

ok, this is super strange...can anyone explain this? this morning, i checked the oil level and it showed as good-it was close to the full line on the dipstick. motor was completely cold. i drove the car once yesterday morning and it sat the whole day since that drive. when i started the car to leave for work, the stupid oil pressure light when off again. i was didnt think it was low (since i checked this morning and it was showing as good), but i got out and checked anyway. it was low. it was below the low line on the dipstick. wth would cause the oil level to show as good, then when the car was started, for it to actually be low? why did the level look good on cold motor? so confused...hard to make sure that the oil level is correct when it doesnt seem to be giving accurate readings? i know i probably didnt fill it full enough last week...but that would be immpossible if its reading all jacked up...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
parking on a hill maybe, partially clogged passage, oil not draining from head because of blockage????? thats a good one.

oil gnomes would probably the most reasonable explination. I've seen them...they come out at night with little coveralls and these 17mm wrenches. It takes 2 of them to carry a wrench.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Originally Posted by spinplay01
oil gnomes would probably the most reasonable explination. I've seen them...they come out at night with little coveralls and these 17mm wrenches. It takes 2 of them to carry a wrench.
now thats thinking with your dipstick.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by spinplay01
parking on a hill maybe, partially clogged passage, oil not draining from head because of blockage????? thats a good one.

i dont park on a hill...i park on a pretty flat surface....alright, i had no idea thats why i did ask..but it does sound like it could be a partially clogged passage or blockage....wouldnt a clogged passage or blockage cause other problems? i do like the gnome idea best though....lol
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Go buy a valve cover gasket and some good grey gasket maker, check for sludge or buildup while you have the passenger valve cover off.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Have you checked this cover?

The plastic one tends to develop a leak replace it with p/n 11831AA150
Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Deraj_53

Thanks...got valve cover gaskets, front main seal, rear main seal, cam seals...hopefully that'll fix it...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by Deraj_53

guess thats a good upgrade when upgrading or replacing the clutch...
Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 06 aspen white wrx ltd/American Electric F-150
i'll take the pos...just drop it off down the street