rapidly loosing oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Car Info: grandmas car
rapidly loosing oil

ok...my pos is rapidly loosing oil. this morning, the oil light came on. i went to check and it didnt register on the dipstick. i had refilled it 2 weeks ago to the full mark. there are definately oil leaks. to me, it looks like its leaking from the passenger valve cover gasket....my friend also thinks its leaking from there or the cam seals..but he just did a quick visual when it was on his lift...before i even bought the car, it had a compression test from the subaru in maui and it was 145 across all cylinders. he rechecked it for me, and compression is good and even across all cylinders. the oil leak doesnt appear to be that bad...it leaves little drips where i park, but not huge puddles...what could be causing a quart of oil loss in 2 weeks time? to me, that seems like rapid oil loss. the car pulls strong and doesnt smoke. car has 107k miles...

Last edited by dysfunctnl doll; 04-28-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add more
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
pressure control valve? all of the rubber around it is probably old and britle too. may be part of the leak on your passenger side.

is there excessive oil in your intercooler?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by spinplay01
pressure control valve? all of the rubber around it is probably old and britle too. may be part of the leak on your passenger side.

one of my friends said pcv valve too...or to check/replace that...did not check if there was oil in the intercooler...

blah...i know my friend will take care of my car...always does...im just worried...and wondering what could be causing this. i dont see huge puddles so its strange that there is so much oil loss...
Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 2021 Crosstrek Sport
Best way to tell if it's the cam seals is to pull the covers off. My cam seals were so worn that they could spin freely on the camshaft while still positioned in the block. Give your engine a good cleaning and let it dry off. If possible, get it up on some ramps or jack stands. Then let it idle for a while and watch where the leak is coming from.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Keainakoa
Best way to tell if it's the cam seals is to pull the covers off. My cam seals were so worn that they could spin freely on the camshaft while still positioned in the block. Give your engine a good cleaning and let it dry off. If possible, get it up on some ramps or jack stands. Then let it idle for a while and watch where the leak is coming from.
yeah...my friend already said he'd pull the motor......im just a paranoid *****...hopefully its nothing bad. was just shocked that it was loosing that much oil.....
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Well the engine is rather hot. If it's leaking and burning a Loy of it off you won't see that much on the ground. Did you check the pan and filter for leaks? A lot of places for oil to leak out so pretty hard to tell if you don't look around.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Car Info: Pasoi!
Turbo oil return line?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
The areas you'll lose oil the most are front and real main seals, cam seals, and valve covers. Turbo oil return, is most likely to leak if you had previously futzed with it. However 107K miles is a good amount to check it anyway.

Unless maybe your car has excessive blow-by and is blowing oil out of your valve cover vents. If that's the case, I'd replace the stock squeeze clamps for worm gear clamps for a better seal.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by spinplay01

what's a pressure control valve??? or did you confuse the acronym for positive crankcase ventilation.. (PCV Valve)

anyways, i dont think you should pull the motor because of an oil leak... as stated, jus clean and see where its coming from.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper
Well the engine is rather hot. If it's leaking and burning a Loy of it off you won't see that much on the ground. Did you check the pan and filter for leaks? A lot of places for oil to leak out so pretty hard to tell if you don't look around.
if its burning alot of it off, wouldnt i smell a burning oil smell? i dont smell no oil burning...the car definately runs rich-i smell that...when it was on the lift 2 weeks ago, i did not know it was losing that much oil. i just thought it had a minor leak (from the drips on the ground where i park). from doing a quick look over, it only looked like it was leaking from the passenger area...thats why we had thought passenger valve cover gasket...

Originally Posted by Aeros
Turbo oil return line?
possibly...i know if its leaking from there it will look like its leaking from the passenger valve cover area, correct?

Originally Posted by joejoe69
The areas you'll lose oil the most are front and real main seals, cam seals, and valve covers. Turbo oil return, is most likely to leak if you had previously futzed with it. However 107K miles is a good amount to check it anyway.

Unless maybe your car has excessive blow-by and is blowing oil out of your valve cover vents. If that's the case, I'd replace the stock squeeze clamps for worm gear clamps for a better seal.
others have told me to check/replace the rear main seal...friend had thought from the quick lookover that it could be the cam seals and/or valve cover gasket...it could be the line as already mentioned...it has been messed with...hard to check for blow by because the car has no catch can:/
Originally Posted by juniorsti
what's a pressure control valve??? or did you confuse the acronym for positive crankcase ventilation.. (PCV Valve)

anyways, i dont think you should pull the motor because of an oil leak... as stated, jus clean and see where its coming from.
think he was going to pull the motor cause the car needs alot of other maintenance...i was gonna do the timing belt-its at 107k and needs to definately be done...was gonna get axels cause i see a busted passenger cv boot...was gonna change clutch....and the trans might need to be pulled anyway...i think theres a first gear syncro issue...theres an occational grind into 1st..not every shift...but occational...if you shift very nice and slow, the grind can be avoided but i still want to fix that anyway as i am going to daily drive this pos:P
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
you probably would smell it burning off but if the leak is low enough and the amount small it would blow under the car and you wouldn't see it or probably smell it. most every subaru has an oil leak/seep issue of some kind. if you see drips on the ground then it's not a small leak and two weeks of driving it around like that would explain your losing so much oil. when the motor is pulled you will likely see you have oil leaking from more than one place but at least you're going to take care of it. for now just keep topping it off.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:03 PM

Car Info: Hi, I'm John.
Uhhh, most importantly, what kind of car is this? If it's a cam seal, you'll see oil leaking from the timing belt cover. If it's a valve cover gasket, you'll see it leaking from the sides of the block. If it's leaking from the backish, it could be the half moon seals on the back of the heads, maybe a rear main seal. If you're pulling the motor anyway, you'll find it pretty easily, don't worry. Keep checking your oil level and topping it off till it gets pulled. If your oil light comes on, you're wayyyyy to low on oil already. Be careful.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
I'll pull it!...need the practice working on a subaru...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
hard to check for blow by because the car has no catch can:/

While your car is running, loosen the oil cap and let it sit on the oil filler tube. If the cap dances around and you see pressurized vapors and oil shooting out of the filler tube, you got some good blow by. Blow by is from rings going bad or a cracked ring land. But anyway, your compression check is okay all across so it's less likely the cause.

Easiest solution: Just clean it up like everyone says, go for a short drive, stop, and take a peak under and see where its coming from. You can't see it leak in idle unless it's a really bad leak.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 PM

Car Info: car
Originally Posted by houdni
I'll pull it!...need the practice working on a subaru...
you can get the motor out in about an hour or maybe less if you jam through it

Quick Reply: rapidly loosing oil