EGT Install....new ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
EGT Install....new ?'s

Well, I've searched all I can stand to, its hard to sort through them all though.

So, I pose my questions to you all....

Installing an EGT gauge(probe in particular), some say the #3 others say DP is fine. I would prefer the DP due to the fear of the probe breaking off and going through the Turbo. Its a Greddy Gauge.

Others say the DP doesnt provide acurate readings, HOWEVER, I have been under the impression that the readings are all relative. Install an EGT gauge in a stock car, look at the readings, note them, THEN when you mod it to affect EGT's you have your baseline. Different cars run different EGT's so who's to say one car is running hot compared to another. This is why I am leaning towards the DP location. Is this thinking logical?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 01:17 PM

Car Info: cars
to get the most accurate reading of exhaust temp, you want to get as close to the exhaust manifold as possible. having done the egt myself, my probe is on the header between cylinders 1&3. putting it on the d/p will give you a pretty decent reading, but there is some heat loss (therefore lower temps) after passing through the turbo (some heat transfer to the intake air) and exposure to exterior temps (air passing under and through the car).

overall, the temperature shouldn't significantly vary that much since were dealing with extremely high temperatures. however, as you said, "everything is relative," the extra 100 deg difference between the manifold and d/p make a difference.

just my $0.02.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:20 PM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Even though the risk of the probe breaking is real, I have NEVER heard anyone with firsthand experience of this happening. I'd suggest putting it close to the block, that's how I did it.

It's true that EGT's are useful for monitoring trends, but locating your probe in the DP will not only cause much lower readings, but you may have quite a lag between dangerous temperature swings and the changes registering that far downstream, ya know? If your EGT's suddenly shoot up, it may not show up right away...
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi
Originally Posted by 04blkWRX
Even though the risk of the probe breaking is real, I have NEVER heard anyone with firsthand experience of this happening. I'd suggest putting it close to the block, that's how I did it.

It's true that EGT's are useful for monitoring trends, but locating your probe in the DP will not only cause much lower readings, but you may have quite a lag between dangerous temperature swings and the changes registering that far downstream, ya know? If your EGT's suddenly shoot up, it may not show up right away...

Ahh, see those are some points I was looking for, thank you. My only general knowledge of the EGT readings didnt even entertain the thought of witnessing a lean/dangerous condition and being able to let off before damage occurs.

That being said, are there known safe/dangerous ranges for the STi?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I've had mine on the #3 for about 2 years. Up to 1600 is fine, although I'd say not for too long. My own personal philosopy is that I consider 1575-1600 to be like the 'yellow' zone. If I see EGT's getting up there, I will pull back.

That's probably the same attitude that will keep me from REAL power, though.