Done up WRX still not an STi???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Question Done up WRX still not an STi???

So I've been getting a lot of engine knock from my wife with the amount of money I am putting into my WRX. I usually just ignore it but it kinda set off a CEL in my head on whether I am wasting my money since my car is a WRX and not a STi.
So far I've done the common stuff on my '13 WRX hatch such as: CBE, KW Variant 1's, wheels/tire, lip oh and a STi brake conversion. I initially planned to do a bunch of engine mods a little closer to the end of my warranty, to the extent that I will probably have to beef up the internals. So I guess my question is, should I just stop now being that when it's all said and done my car will still be a WRX or when it's all said and done it doen't matter WRX or STi? I thought now would be a good time to ask as a bunch of veterans are posting but this could also be my demise.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 2014 Mitsubishi EVO MR/2014 Wrx
its up to you what are your plans for the car.. from what i hear if you plan to go over 400whp then wrx trans doesnt hold up well to that.. if 6spd and dccd is important to you then i would say go for the sti. there are other differences like the plastic intake manifold and different top mount intercooler, but those are easy to change.. or i would just get a front mount.. but my opinion is if you are planning on modding a lot and you are already debating whether or not you want to switch to an sti... then if you can afford it i would switch now before you put too much into the wrx then regret it later

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2011.html here is a page that has all the differences between wrx and sti the mechanical differences are little more than 3/4 down

Last edited by k3k0a; 02-21-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Done up WRX will never be an STI. The real difference between the two cars is the drivetrain. Once you've swapped the transmission and the 5x114 hubs as well as upgraded the motor, suspension, and brakes, it will be close to the same car except not because it will be made of random parts that have not been tested and engineered to work well together. It may still work and be stupid fast though.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
there are more fast wrx's out there then fast sti's...... if you plan to heav mod your car i as a salesman would of told you to go with a wrx anyways....... most guys now a days build the car for the 1/4th mile.....now if you were making a track car that would be a different story and most of your mods would be in susp.

at the end of the day tho you will always have a wrx.... but so what who cares.... unless it really just bothers you? i seen it happen many times.... sti drivers think there car is hot shiznit and get spanked by a wrx or LEGACY in this case..... who gets smoked by a LEGACY? oh thats right 3-4 sti's in 2008 hahahaha
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX
You're right - all your mods should improve it,
It'll be something, but not an STI
Having a moderately modded WRX that's better than stock is cool
If you can accept that and be satisfied, you'll be happy
Otherwise you'll always be comparing
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by shaggadelic
there are more fast wrx's out there then fast sti's...... if you plan to heav mod your car i as a salesman would of told you to go with a wrx anyways....... most guys now a days build the car for the 1/4th mile.....now if you were making a track car that would be a different story and most of your mods would be in susp.

at the end of the day tho you will always have a wrx.... but so what who cares.... unless it really just bothers you? i seen it happen many times.... sti drivers think there car is hot shiznit and get spanked by a wrx or LEGACY in this case..... who gets smoked by a LEGACY? oh thats right 3-4 sti's in 2008 hahahaha
True story

But said legacy no like rematches.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:26 PM

Rematch: which car stay more VIP. Leggy wins!

Last edited by shaggadelic; 02-21-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM

So far, all valid points. Don't get me wrong, I fricken love my car but that is until I pull up next to an STi on the road. I guess it's the envy in me but heck once I'm done modding I gonna need another project and I'm guess it'll have to be an STi.
Keep the comments coming tho, I enjoy hearing people's take on this topic as it is something that I constantly find myself thinking about. If possible, please post whether or not your rocking a WRX or STi.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4080wrx
True story

you can be like this guy....... he "Had" a sti decided to let a nice old lady perfectly T-bone him at a turn so that the impact would be totalling but just enough to save the powertrain and make a legacy killer..... you see if you seen his car now it is no sti but yet it is! same as ditchhanger....
Old 02-21-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by shaggadelic

you can be like this guy....... he "Had" a sti decided to let a nice old lady perfectly T-bone him at a turn so that the impact would be totalling but just enough to save the powertrain and make a legacy killer..... you see if you seen his car now it is no sti but yet it is! same as ditchhanger....
Ahem RSTi thank u

I got the badge to prove it
Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
if you're into 1/4 mile, the WRX 5-speed is better suited since it requires one less shift.

albeit, weaker than bullet proof STi 6spd. As long as you aren't slamming the gears and treat it with respect, the WRX 5spd will/should last you.

I say, stick with the '13 WRX, its a very formidable car and has come along way from the ej20/GD chassis wrx's. Save your time/money/energy of selling your car, dealing with flakers, finding a good condition STI. Not even including the downtime of not having a car, and combing through craigslist for a decent STI.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
If you're looking for more power or to use sti parts on a wrx, I'd say it's just a waste of money. Just buy the sti and be done. It starts out as a better car, and mod for mod, will be faster for it.

Brakes are a cool add on, but unless you're racing it hard, which no one here really does, the stockers are fine. Maybe a upgrade in pad compound would help, but calipers and rotors don't really make a big difference for street driving.

Don't take this the wrong way though, modding is fun and cool, but it's hard to justify the cost when you're modding just to catch up to the next higher factory trim level.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shin RS
If you're looking for more power or to use sti parts on a wrx, I'd say it's just a waste of money. Just buy the sti and be done. It starts out as a better car, and mod for mod, will be faster for it.

Brakes are a cool add on, but unless you're racing it hard, which no one here really does, the stockers are fine. Maybe a upgrade in pad compound would help, but calipers and rotors don't really make a big difference for street driving.

Don't take this the wrong way though, modding is fun and cool, but it's hard to justify the cost when you're modding just to catch up to the next higher factory trim level.
I can't agree more. With that being said, the "thing to do" is go stage 2. Everything I read says go to stage 2. Is the power gains that noticeable? I'm not looking for numbers rather the the grin test; how much bigger will stage 2 make me grin when I open her up?
BTW, I just noticed that, that rhymed up top! I'm a fricken rapper and didn't even know it!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 08 lgt
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
True story

Lol I like how I don't wanna rematch, yet how could it have been possible when you left to Korea the minute your car was done? I been waiting for your turd to come back, I got nothing to lose hahaha. I do think however its funny that you now have a new tuner, a new turbo set up, and a new chassis for said set up. Name the time and place sweetheart
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Shin RS

True for back in the day but not any more power wise. The wrx comes with a bigger turbo now and with same power mods # wise from the factory there pretty close to the wheels.

Quick Reply: Done up WRX still not an STi???