Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Official N/A exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:47 PM

Car Info: '01 Imp Wagon Silver, 17" silver OZ P7's
I have a '01 Imp wagon, the first thing I put in was a custom cold air intake, lots of intake growl. Then I got a Borla Cat back, I love the power I get form the two, but I can't drive 70 with the wagon it resonates in the back, so I go 85 and it clears up. Almost any other speed is bearable, and running hard through the gears is a delight. I got it from SPO in 2003 for $500.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
Thumbs up greddy

bought a greddy evo 2 catback fully stainless, looks and sounds great. not loud enough to get notice by the cops, but still loud enough to turn heads when you want. Good power gain too.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:22 PM

Car Info: '98 Neon R/T
Originally posted by Nemnith

Can anyone shed some light on what brands of mufflers local shops carry that can accomplish this?
Is it possible to get a cat-back that isn't very loud? But also still yields power gains?
Thanks!
You can accomplish a great deal of sound-deadening with a large-body muffler and a long resonator. Basically, the longer/larger the muffler or resonator, the more sound damping you get. Piping size will also play some part in sound as well. If you want better flow than stock but good and quiet, I'd upsize the stock piping by only a 1/4 inch. I'm pretty sure than means 2" piping. Most aftermarket cat-backs are 2-1/4", FYI.

Your local muffler shop will likely carry a small-body (16" or less), straight-thru, universal muffler with a 2" inlet and a 4" tip for the local ricer crowd. They flow well enough, but may not be what you're looking for. IMO, a 3" or 3-1/2" tip is tasteful.
I personally can vouch for the mufflers found at bulletperformance.com. Great quality, good sound (even with a 14" body), and cheap as hell. Like $65 shipped for a muffler with offset inlet/center outlet in 5x9x16. All stainless, fiber packing, and a perforated core. Doesn't get much better than that.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:12 PM

Car Info: '98 Neon R/T
Eh, crush bent, however slight, is still half-assing it in my book. For an additional $50 plus muffler, you could have a very nice cat-back. The $150 for stainless piping is a pretty good deal, and with a little fab work, you could have a Stromug equal for half the price. What's more, when you got tired of (or wanted to upgrade) your piping, you could probably sell your cat-back for about what you paid for it. People aren't going to pay for a used crush-bent exhaust, and it just seems like throwing $150+ in the trash to me.

What you pay for with Stromug IMO, et al is sound. Bullet isn't that well-known, and they don't have a bunch of sound-wave blocker crap inside them. They do have a sturdy (and free-flowing) perforated core and stainless steel construction. Mine (on the Neon) was only 14" long but was tolerable (mostly) at freeway speeds. Imagine what a longer, but straight-through muffler could do for you--much quieter but nearly equal performance. Flowmasters pretty much sound good on anything, so I doubt you could go wrong there, not to mention that they're $80 at Summit.

In the end, If you don't like your Bullet or Flowmaster or Brand X, you can always stick something else on there and only be out $80. If you don't care for the Stromug or Borla, etc...it's a bit more substantial of a loss. In the end, it's up to you. Personally, I'm going to have a custom cat-back welded up to something like a 16" Bullet.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 98'RS
Re: exhaust

has anybody tried the borla boomers.i was thinking about
getting the dilgo.
http://www.borla.com/uk.boomers/?car...2207.5.160.109
looks good to me.getting a mid pipe too.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:12 PM

Car Info: '02 2.5 RS
I got a 2002 RS and I think it just came with a different tip from the factory, but anyway, I think the exhaust at least looks fine and runs fine. But it is too quiet for my tastes. It gets on my nerves the most when I am idling, I just can't hear the engine at all. I couldn't tell weather it is on or not without looking at the tach. Also, when I am driving with the windows open or the radio on, can't hear it.

So I was wondering what would be inexpensive and make it loud enough to hear when idling and just a little louder driving? Different muffler maybe? And I would like it to just bolt on, so I could just put it on myself. Any ideas? Don't want to spend a lot is all.

Quick Reply: Official N/A exhaust thread