Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

My 11' Sti is RUINED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX STI HB
Now what he's saying is helping. Go to gst? Yes, yes of course that will fix any most of my car problems if not all. I just wanna know if it's something I can possibly fix myself before I spend money at a shop. I think it's the ap as well. Once that thing was on my car ran like crap
Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Dude listen...04caliwrx made a good point, take it to the dealership after your 100% stock. I'm assuming its still under warranty. They will take care of it, just tell them it started acting funny and you decided to bring it in...good luck
Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by GimmeTQ
Now what he's saying is helping. Go to gst? Yes, yes of course that will fix any most of my car problems if not all. I just wanna know if it's something I can possibly fix myself before I spend money at a shop. I think it's the ap as well. Once that thing was on my car ran like crap
Sigma and I are both offering troubleshooting steps. It isn't as simple as "Do X" you have to cross stuff of the list before you get to the final solution. Many questions have been asked that remain to be answered. What is the firmware on the AP? Did the car run well with all other mods installed prior to trying to install the AP? Has there been communication between you and Cobb?

I'm going to assuming the answer to the first question is "Not the most current firmware" because they just released an update on the 24th that fixed a "rare 'no start' issue."

If the issue is with the AP (which is what our current questions are leading to, if I'm reading Sigma right) and the firmware does not fix it, then there is nothing more any of us can say except "Contact Cobb or a shop" because none of us made the device.

Originally Posted by Javirex23
Dude listen...04caliwrx made a good point, take it to the dealership after your 100% stock. I'm assuming its still under warranty. They will take care of it, just tell them it started acting funny and you decided to bring it in...good luck
He had communication issues when trying to install the AP, so it may not go easily back to the stock map actually. However, we still don't know this for sure.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 06-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Everything is on tight no leaks
That leaves maf sensor and ap. The maf could have been bumped or gotten dirty during the install.

Look people both sides of this flameing both want the same thing; the car to run right. Let's all work to that and drop the attitudes. Please keep that in mind.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM

I dont think taking it back to Subaru is necessary. I unistalled and test drove It with the stock maps. It ran great. So I don't think it's the actual car itself. I updated the newest firmware already AND talked to cobb. It was kinda messed up though. I feel like cause they didnt really have an answer they just told me it had to be the car and it's just a 'coincidence' all this happened when I installed the ap.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

I dont think taking it back to Subaru is necessary. I unistalled and test drove It with the stock maps. It ran great. So I don't think it's the actual car itself. I updated the newest firmware already AND talked to cobb. It was kinda messed up though. I feel like cause they didnt really have an answer they just told me it had to be the car and it's just a 'coincidence' all this happened when I installed the ap.
I've never been happy with their customer service, but contacting the manufacturer is always a necessary step IMHO. You were loading the ACN91 (as opposed to straight "91") map, correct?

The other day you had issues installing the map, I'm assuming all of that got squared away and you were able to get a clean install? I wouldn't count on the car running better now without the map ruling out any mechanical issues, as the map could be accentuating an issue less noticeable when untuned.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 06-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Yeah I'm running the acn91 aem stage 2 map. I'll recheck my maf, never no I suppose. I mean, when I'm on the gas it's beastly, but off and just cruising... Boogggg
Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
VIP Member

Yeah I'm running the acn91 aem stage 2 map. I'll recheck my maf, never no I suppose. I mean, when I'm on the gas it's beastly, but off and just cruising... Boogggg
If you can, do some datalogging (with the map installed) and send that to Cobb. They are really ****ty about negative feedback of their products but if their is an issue with the map on the car then it'll be evident in the logging. However, since it is now Friday evening you probably wont hear back from them for a while.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Did I mention it threw up my tire pressure low light and my hill assist off light? It also threw up my cruise control light for a while driving and then went off. I tried to find the code on the ecu and it said no codes were found. Cobb said that it's not the ap's fault. Really? Just another coincidence??
Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Did I mention it threw up my tire pressure low light and my hill assist off light? It also threw up my cruise control light for a while driving and then went off. I tried to find the code on the ecu and it said no codes were found. Cobb said that it's not the ap's fault. Really? Just another coincidence??
Some CEL's disable the cruise control on drive-by-wire Subarus, the hill-assist and TPMS may be a similar issue. Datalogging will let you know whats going on with the ECU, more so than analyzing the symptoms. Think of it as doing a blood test rather than going "You have a headache, could be stress."

There are other ways to check CEL codes than just with the AP, including code readers available from shops like Kragen and Auto-zone (some still rent them out too, others let you use them in the parking lot).
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by vrt mbasile
my posts were prefaced with "i haven't dealt with cobb for a while. I was not telling him what will fix it, i was offering things to look into. Better than nothing, right? Do is say soa master mechanic next to my name? Do i wear a shop shirt from lic, eq, gst, dbtuned, or speed element? Everyone wants expert mechanic advice for free

I make no apologies for offering options and biting back when he comes back with an attitude. I can't believe how nowadays people want full information handed to them on a silver platter. No, doesn't work like that. We'll give you leads, but it is your job to follow those and track down your own answer. All any of us can do is share experiences and what we've learned from them.
+100000000
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 PM
9 to 5 mod

Ok now we got some where its the ap. Where did you get it from?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Lectures don't help but thanks anyway
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM
9 to 5 mod

I'm out for the weekend play nice everyone glad we were able to pin point it
Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM
VIP Member

Lectures don't help but thanks anyway
Who was lecturing? All I was saying is that the TPMS and hill-assist lights being on may not be other issues, but just normal procedure for whatever CEL was being thrown.

Originally Posted by sigma pi
I'm out for the weekend play nice everyone glad we were able to pin point it
Me too. Take care Mike.

Quick Reply: My 11' Sti is RUINED!