Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

My 11' Sti is RUINED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
why don't you answerwhat i asked you? was you car ever modded and not tuned? if so that also could have killed the engine, Any mod done to a subaru needs a tune, evansomething small like a exhaust
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by GimmeTQ
Cobb has a map now specifically for an aem intake. I wouldn't have put one on otherwise. No dramatization here. What I typed is what happened and it does feel ruined, even though not permanently. In my eyes if you have to pay money to get something fixed on your BRAND NEW car it's bad. Just stupid really. My car was fine till I loaded that map. Bull$hit..
Please do not dodge the swear filter.

And VRT, why the hell would you be giving me advice anyways when you basically just told us all you don't know ish about 11 sti's and the accessport for them??
I dont know either. I have an 03. but have we have been doing subarus longer than you?

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Your attitude is not winning you any friends here, and the only people we help on here are newbs, friends, and lurkers. People with bad attitudes get nothing. Call Cobb and **** off.
His attitude is not good, but giving a bad attitude back doesnt help either.

OP have you tried flashing the stock map back on? Have you checked the intake for vac leaks?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan OBP EQ tuned
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Why the hell would I read up on it when I have a 2002 WRX and my AP install went just fine? We've (or at least I've) tried to give you some useful advice based on previous experiences. I'm not going to do all of the research for you. I've given you avenues to look down for a possible solution. However, I'm not going to dig through Cobb technical forums for you. Drop the attitude or **** off.
What downpipe / CB do you have ? Did you try unmarrying (after resetting the battery) and starting over. And calm down I am sure there are people who are very interested in this issue and willing to help figure it out, its likely a simple install error.

People buy/judge exhausts all the time for sound.
But if you buy a CAI that has a specific map for your NEW car - then so what if its all sound and no gain, seems hypocrit to me.

So someone posts about the connectors and OP calls him on it as incorrect and "said poster" flames the OP for saying "read up on it".

If you don't have correct info , don't reply to a thread. right? Isn't that the rule of thumb. And then to bash him is weak. You didn't know on the newer AP-003, you don't have to f with the connectors which is awesome and common knowledge mr. vip. just sayin.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX STI HB
all I had on was a Crawford performance axleback at first. Not tune. For like 4 days. Then I got my ap. I didnt do anything with it till I got my crawford performance downpipe and aem cai. I called crawford and cobb to make sure the setup would work fine before installing. They said it was a great setup installed it all and put the map on. Installation went fine. All it was was unbolting and rebolting
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Bajozzy
What downpipe / CB do you have ? Did you try unmarrying (after resetting the battery) and starting over. And calm down I am sure there are people who are very interested in this issue and willing to help figure it out, its likely a simple install error.

But if you buy a CAI that has a specific map for your NEW car - then so what if its all sound and no gain, seems hypocrit to me.

So someone posts about the connectors and OP calls him on it as incorrect and "said poster" flames the OP for saying "read up on it".

If you don't have correct info , don't reply to a thread. right? Isn't that the rule of thumb. And then to bash him is weak. You didn't know on the newer AP-003, you don't have to f with the connectors which is awesome and common knowledge mr. vip. just sayin.
My posts were prefaced with "I haven't dealt with Cobb for a while. I was not telling him what will fix it, I was offering things to look into. Better than nothing, right? Do is say SOA Master Mechanic next to my name? Do I wear a shop shirt from LIC, EQ, GST, dbTuned, or Speed Element? Everyone wants expert mechanic advice for free

I make no apologies for offering options and biting back when he comes back with an attitude. I can't believe how nowadays people want full information handed to them on a silver platter. No, doesn't work like that. We'll give you leads, but it is your job to follow those and track down your own answer. All any of us can do is share experiences and what we've learned from them.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by Bajozzy

It is not common knowledge. I have no clue about AP Ver. 1 or 2 or what ever.

So you have something to add to help the OP? I thought that was the first rule
So you just came in here to call people out / keep a flame war going? I'm just saying .
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Not a lot of room for errors. When i started my car I started having problems. Very, VERY basic setup. No leaks and nothing loose. Took off the negative on the battery and uninstalled it once and redid everything. Still no good.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 PM
9 to 5 mod

all I had on was a Crawford performance axleback at first. Not tune. For like 4 days. Then I got my ap. I didnt do anything with it till I got my crawford performance downpipe and aem cai. I called crawford and cobb to make sure the setup would work fine before installing. They said it was a great setup installed it all and put the map on. Installation went fine. All it was was unbolting and rebolting
Did you go back and check for Vac leaks?

car is fine stock
car is fine with axle back
car is not fine when DP and AP and CAI go on.

it is one of the last three. It is a process of elimination.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM

take it back to stock then go to subaru, its a 11 they will fix it
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Not a lot of room for errors. When i started my car I started having problems. Very, VERY basic setup. No leaks and nothing loose. Took off the negative on the battery and uninstalled it once and redid everything. Still no good.
So I'll go back to what I said in the very beginning. Uninstall the map and make an appointment with GST (one of the closer shops since you're in SJ). Something is obviously wrong with the car or AP, so let someone trained look into it before something fails catastrophically. You don't want to end up as one of those "I got a misfire CEL but ignored it, and then my engine blew." stories.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
9 to 5 mod

OK so Intake is on tight. Is there a vac line going to the BOV from the intake?

I am guessing it is not the DP because you would be able to hear the exhaust leak.

if the intake is 120% correct that only leaves one thing.

Last edited by sigma pi; 06-03-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 PM

All you offered for options were 1. Waste my time 2. Waste my time and 3. Look for connectors that have nothing to do with my car and WASTE MY TIME. thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Everything is on tight no leaks
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM

he is just trying to help you out, stop being a dick! The car is new, return to stock and take it to subaru to fix the problem. Did u have a srt-4 before your sti? people are trying to help you and you are not liking the answers they give, lots of of have been building and modding subarus for over 8 years so we tend to know what going on.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

It is hard to tell, but I get the impression all parts were installed and working before the ECU was flashed. Correct? Then as Sigma said, that leaves only one area. The AP (be it the actual AP, the dongle, or the map).

Someone said that "even Cobb doesn't know what he's talking about." so I get the impression that you've spoken to Cobb. What did they say?

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 06-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: My 11' Sti is RUINED!