Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

NEED Downpipe Opinions

Old 10-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
NEED Downpipe Opinions

Hey there everybody,
So i need every opinion I can get on running a catless 3" DP on my 05 wagon(mines an invidia v2) with an ebay 3" catback too however WITHOUT doing anything to the ecu/any tuning involved.

I've heard about the infamous boost creep issue but i still cant decide on what to do... lots of research has informed me that 02-05 wrx's are less prone to it with the 2.0, rather than the bigger/higher flow 2.5 in the 2006-above, and that some people never have creep/spike issues with the 3" downpipe and can simply enjoy the extra torque/few hp gain from running the full 3" catless setup. That gain is just what im looking for/the noise ofc as i've got swifts springs/whiteline sways and links/front strut tower and i feel like the extra throttle response would give me what i wanted w/o having to spend the bigger $$'s on a full blown tune, at least for now(im a student = living paycheck to paycheck...)

THAT ALL SAID, just wondering what real experiences/opinions are out there. Like i said i've heard it both ways up til now and i just cant decide.. let me know about any creep issues/possible wastegate adjusting to cope with the higher flow, or if you've run the setup and had no problems/figured it out. Please let me know what info you have to offer! thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
if i could put an order to modding.....

1) get an accessport- run a stage 1 tune...
2) put on a turbo back and put a stage 2 off the shelf tune
3) want more power, get a bigger turbo and injectors and get a pro tune.

This is just my 2 cents .... others can agree or disagree, but a accessport used can be found for 4-500.. and you can get a stage one off the shelf from cobb's website

you won't make max power, but it will make more power and be conservative....
Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
cool thank you, definitely considering just purchasing a used accessport for the solve, ive seen some for $300 so that wouldnt break my wallet too badly, max power is not my goal too, just more power than stock output lol :P
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Originally Posted by cueballsi
if i could put an order to modding.....

1) get an accessport- run a stage 1 tune...
2) put on a turbo back and put a stage 2 off the shelf tune
3) want more power, get a bigger turbo and injectors and get a pro tune.

This is just my 2 cents .... others can agree or disagree, but a accessport used can be found for 4-500.. and you can get a stage one off the shelf from cobb's website

you won't make max power, but it will make more power and be conservative....
+1
Originally Posted by RAWeiss
cool thank you, definitely considering just purchasing a used accessport for the solve, ive seen some for $300 so that wouldnt break my wallet too badly, max power is not my goal too, just more power than stock output lol :P
yeah. after a stg2 cobb OTS map you will definately feel the car sound nd perform better, you'll be happy
Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX Sedan 5MT
I have the same question. What are the issues with catless for 02-05?

I'm not sure what direction to go as for an OTS map setup.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I was under the impression that the boost creep was typically caused by running too restrictive of an exhaust and the waste gate not being able to dump the extra exhaust into the down pipe.

I could be and am probably wrong so if someone wants to square me away I would appreciate the info...