Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

I need your honest experienced opinions

Old 01-08-2003, 09:37 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Lightbulb

Okay, first I'm gonna give you my opinion. Everything looks good for the most part. Stock FSB is fine. Go with a cusco 22mm adjustable RSB from www.gruppe-s.com . Get the MRT front and rear endlinks. Get the ALK with whatever bushings you feel comfortable with. IF you decide to just get springs go with the Eibachs or Prodrives (which are made by Eibach). You have forgotten just one thing: Get a custom performance alignment. It will make all the difference in the world. Especially after the ALK.

Here's what I don't understand: Why doesn't everybody go with the ground control setup? You get the Eibach springs with the ability to adjust height at all four corners. This obviously gives you the option of getting your car cornerweighted. Wouldn't a stock WRX with RSB, ALK, and GC setup be awesome after an alignment and cornerweighting? I must be missing something here...

PS - Of course getting rid of RE92s is an assumed 1st mod here. Just thought I'd clarify.

Last edited by Steppin Razor; 01-08-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:21 AM

im very happy with the eibach prokit springs,they are progressive so they are very comfortable for regular driving around, but as soon as you put some load on them they stiffen up....and it feels great... i have noticed that when im on the freeway if the breaks in the pavement come at just the right intervals the car tends to be slightly bouncy,, but this is the only time i have thought it bouncy.. very tolerable.

i also have the cusco adjustable rear swaybar set on the middle setting and i couldnt be happier. This is a great mod, and you will definately feel results. in some instances depending on how your driving the car can get somewhat tail happy. however i mostly experience this when im going around a long sweeping turn and i brake or let off the throttle... in normal street driving it should be fine..

the combination together is great...body roll is reduced a lot.. in the beginning i was thrilled with the dramatic difference i felt.... now that ive gotten used to it i am craving more!!! rims and tires next i know im backwards..
Old 01-09-2003, 01:47 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
Just starting out and on a budget, I'd get the Whiteline/MRT anti-lift kit (its the same thing), the Cusco adjustable rear swaybar and Kartboy rear endlinks. This set up will help you to reduce much of the understeer in your car. I wouldn't go with the MRT/Whiteline endlinks because they have been known to break, I've seen it. The Kartboy endlinks are much more durable. Go to www.kartboy.com to take a look. Also while you're there you can peep their short shifter.

Last edited by Rexstang; 01-09-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:10 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
I had big problems with stock WRX understeer. It's ridiculous when uninformed people claim the WRX handles great just because it's all-wheel drive. What a crock! My stock Acura Integra and Toyota Paseo both pushed harder before understeer!

I think you've got a good list, JKWON. I would recommend the following priorities to achieve a more neutral handling balance:
1. Cusco 22 mm adjustable swaybar (I can't see a need for stronger than the stiffest setting unless you plan on doing donuts all day . . . and consider getting the Whiteline heavy duty rear swaybar mounts if you want to swing with the 24 and 26 mm bad boys)
2. Custom alignment (cheap, very effective)
3. new tires! RE92s are total garbage and are dangerous in the wet! Terminal understeer! The sidewalls roll all over the place so your contact patch is always shifting!
4. Kartboy solid aluminum endlinks
5. Cusco rear strutbar - lowest priority, but a nice touch to damp out some of the bigger swaybar harshness and keep the back end more planted on rough roads

I haven't tried the ALK or the lowering springs yet so I don't have any opinion, but they sound like good ideas to me. I might check them out as well so let us know what you think about the ALK on its own.

Good luck!

Dave.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:28 AM

hahaha
damn...you have the exact same mods that i have.

i choose these mods because they are cheap and i heard great things about all of them..

to be honest...i think the alk did the most out of all the mods.
then the springs.

i personally have eibach springs...picked them up for 220.
did the labor myself.

then i got whiteline camber bolt in the rear...50 bucks
you should get one...much easier to dial in the correct alingment.

then i got a cusco rear sway bar...there is only one i believe for the wrx. very nice finish...didn't have any problems with the install. no thunking noises over bumps - got that for 150
isntalled myself.

alk was i believe 130 - got a local store to install for 60 bucks

i also got shifter bushings from cusco - 30 bucks - 10 for install

hmm....end links i got for 50...i got the whiteline ones.
i choose whiteline because they still allow for some flex, but are more rigid than the stock ones..
i dont know if i regret this mod..... i dont think the sway bar did much for me...but its a bit early to tell....i put it in last weekend...went for a drive...felt improvement....but down know if it was worth over 200 dollrs for the sway bar and end link combination.

basically...i got a super good deal
if you can beat my deals...i felt i got hooked up on some of teh parts and labor.
i spent roughly 700 bucks.

i run stock re92 :-) haha...they are okay tires to run in the dry.
all the people that complain about the tire can't drive for ****. i will agree taht teh tires perform incredibly bad in the rain tho. but think about it like this...would you rather run really good tires and then go into turns too hot without the knowledge of what to do and how to save yourself and your car?
with the re92.....u can learn the characteristics of tires and your car at a lower speed compared to the speeds obtainable by using better tires. they will teach you to become a better driver essentially. they will allow for more driver involvement...and will require the driver to be smooth and more tentive in order for the car to perform better. also...better tires work the suspension and isn't good for the car overall.

i only run re92, because i think it is worth it to run the tires bald before upgrading. money is a factor also. my main point is that the tires are not as bad as people say they are. a car drives poorly because of the driver...not because of the equipment. this is to a extent of cousre. i know they dont grip well, but they grip well enough. if your autoxing or somethign liek that...they wont hold up...but for normal street driving and driving in the mountains...it is enough.

a lot of people on this board run hella good *** tires...but like...they will never ever come close to the max performance that the tire offers on the street

mabye few cities even have the roads needed to execute such extreme driving behavior.
im not flamming and dont want any flames back, but...a lot of the members on this baord are straight up newbies wiht cars and are only on this board because they heard about the wrx....thought it was different and then bought it and joined this community without any real automotive experience.

im not saying i have a lot myself, i personally feel i have a lot to learn, im trying to say that a lot of the responses on this board are not accurately supported and one should be cautious when reading posts ( mine included )

i hope i answered some of your questions

thanks
alex