Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Which intercooler??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
I understand, you also have to remember that article covered the first gen APS.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:46 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I read an issue of Option magazine where they compared the stock (JDM STi TMIC) on a STi RA Spec C to an ARC FMIC. The front mount only gained about 4.7PS over the stock top mount.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM

i don't think that you'll really need to worry about a front mount with the AP stage 2.5. it's tuned to use the stock topmount, so everything should be alright for now. you can actually save up to buy a better front mount when the accesstuner comes out and get a good street tune. however, since you're asking, i'd go with the new turboxs FMIC. however, a bigger TMIC is just as good and is capable to support at least 300whp, something like APS or TXS is very good.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
I;m going to chime in from recent experiences.

I just had my stage 4 road tuned by Moike at Gruppe-S this past saturday. Yes it was hot and yes there was a lot of freeway traffic and yes it was the worst day to road tune evar.

anyhoo,

the tuner had a tough time w/ heat soak on the stock TMIC. After the first run, he was not able to repeat w/o detonation. It was that hot. But after cooling for 15 minutes, teh car IC was cool again. I've discussed the IC issue w/ Moike and the conclusion was that the no tmic performed better than the JDM TMIC. It got more to do with heat dessipation than anything else. Bigger tand better flow is great, but if the IC is retaining heat, it loses efficiency fast. This is where design comes into play.

Someone else mentioned FMIC not necessary for the "smaller" aftermarket turbos...and I totally agree. YES, FMIC are "sexy", but totally not necessary for VF 34 and the like. This is an ongoing issue...so just my opinion here.

I also strongly believe more can be accomplished w/ water injection and exterior IC sprayers, and Scoop dividers, than just increasing the core size of the IC.

It's not about size....(maybe for the first drag run), but for everyday performance and functionality it's the IC's ability to stay cool that's most important.

A friend of mine had an APS IC and sold it. Once he went back to the stocker, he noticed more torque down low and didn't miss anything else. He had an APS SR30 tuned by Bill K. on a UTEC. Just another example.

dan.