Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Blown turbo or exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon
Question Blown turbo or exhaust leak?

So I was considering selling my car prior to this happening; she must of heard me talk'n about sellin her.

'02 WRX Wagon

My problem is that under full load 1.4 or more on the accessport I hear a "hanus" noise coming from the passenger side engine compartment. Boost is fine still boosting normal. Noise sounds like a loud puttering maybe somewhat like an exhaust leak. I climbed under the car and checked all the bolts and looked for obvious signs of an exhaust leak and couldn't find anything. Felt around under the car while it was running couldn't feel anything...however when driving revving above 350rpm or under a load I hear the noise. Pretty loud I can hear it over my catless exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated.

If i lived somewhere where there were reputable subaru shops or at least somewhere where people know alot about turbo'd vehicles I would take it to a shop. I don't know if there is a leak test that can be done or what?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 sti
Up pipe blown gasket maybe?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM

Hmmm good point. I didn't see any signs of carbon "black soot anywhere when i looked. I installed the uppipe, downpipe, and exhaust less then a year ago with all new gaskets; Grimmspeed thick gaskets for uppipe and downpipe i belive; and tightened all of the bolts pretty good.
Does anyone know if there is a sniffer test an emissions shop could do to detect an exhaust leak?

I have no smoke out the exhaust. Turbo still spools and is registering steady boost...most likely exhaust leak?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Really want to figure this out this is awful not having my car to drive!!
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 AM

Car Info: Eq tuned Dom3 xtr 2T Ruckus 2012 Zx6r
Originally Posted by mendowagon
Hmmm good point. I didn't see any signs of carbon "black soot anywhere when i looked. I installed the uppipe, downpipe, and exhaust less then a year ago with all new gaskets; Grimmspeed thick gaskets for uppipe and downpipe i belive; and tightened all of the bolts pretty good.
Does anyone know if there is a sniffer test an emissions shop could do to detect an exhaust leak?

I have no smoke out the exhaust. Turbo still spools and is registering steady boost...most likely exhaust leak?
Call around and ask if they have a Evap Smoke tester.. Thanks what i use to find exhaust leaks..
Old 06-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by WRXBOOST10
Call around and ask if they have a Evap Smoke tester.. Thanks what i use to find exhaust leaks..
Ok cool thanks for the help. Probably at like a smog exhaust shop or more like a dealer thing?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Car Info: Eq tuned Dom3 xtr 2T Ruckus 2012 Zx6r
Originally Posted by mendowagon
Ok cool thanks for the help. Probably at like a smog exhaust shop or more like a dealer thing?
If its a smog and repair than yes..Just call around and ask if they have a evap smoke machine and see how much they'll charge for smoke test your exhaust for leaks. Normally we charge 1hr labor.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by WRXBOOST10
If its a smog and repair than yes..Just call around and ask if they have a evap smoke machine and see how much they'll charge for smoke test your exhaust for leaks. Normally we charge 1hr labor.
Cool man thanks I will do that come monday. They shouldn't mind if I'm catless beings that they aren't smogging it right?