Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

After The Silencer Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 01:13 PM

Car Info: Impreza WRX 2003
Question After The Silencer Removal

Ok, I read up all the stuff about the silencer removal and did the appropriate steps. I also took out the rubber gasket that added about an inch in room. My question is that is there anything else you can do to make the sound louder? I am not that good with cars and basically I have no money so any modification I am making (like the silencer) is basically a poor man's modification. If there’s anything else I can do it make it spool up louder, I would love to know.

P.S. I have just joined this forum and love it. Because of you guys I am much more knowledgeable about my car and have you guys to thank.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
If you're "not that good with cars", I'd just be careful with what you to with a car that has a turbo and a finnicky computer. There's many safeguards, but you probably want to avoid the crap you'll find in your pants as you, well uh, scare the crap out of yourself when you throw a CEL (check engine light).

Now, taking out the resonator won't do that. At least, I have never heard of such a case and it certainly didn't happen to me.

The free stuff can bite you in the butt just as much as the expensive stuff, perhaps even more. I say this because the free stuff is often a way to falsely do the expensive stuff. You probably will stumble soon on the "3/16th's Mod". You can actually hurt your car this way, even with all safeguards.

I can't really think of much more to do that's under $50 except for one thing, which actually can be innocuous in two ways. Try looking up the "grounding mod" or "earthing mod". There are reports that you can gain a horsepower or two and 5 to 10 ftlb's of torque. This basically allows all the computer's sensors to perform better by having all around better electrical grounding. But I say it can be innocuous in two ways because, you probably cannot hurt the car with this and on the other hand it might not do anything for your car at all

jason
Old 03-25-2003, 12:33 AM

There isn't too much more you can do to make the spoolup louder, AFAIK. Perhaps removing some sound deadening material, but I don't think that would be worth it.

1. If you want to spend some money, you could get an uppipe and and a downpipe - that will increase engine noise, and turbo spool noise, and net you some nice HP gains while being RELATIVELY safe in nature.

2. Or, you could go on the cheap, and many have had recent success with gutting their factory uppipe - that will also increase some engine noise and turbo spool up. If you have a dremel and some patience, it can be done, but I would stress this mod is not for the weak.

Should you choose to go route 1 or 2, you need to do a LOT more research - don't think you can go out tomorrow afternoon and fire up the dremel and have a nice gutted uppipe in a few hours, but I just want you to know it IS an option nonetheless.

Just keep reading, and keep searching!! I find everyday that there is simply more that I DON'T know!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 12:37 PM

Car Info: '03 White WRX Wagon
Cut a large square hole in the bottom of the stock filter box basically just about 1/4" from the edge. This will give you more volume than the silencer, but will also give you more 'warm' air, but your I/C will help with that some.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:05 PM

Car Info: Impreza WRX 2003
Thanks for all the replays guys. I have decided to just save my moola and am going to get an exhaust. I have a hookup on the blitz nur spec so it looks like thats the way im going to go. After that, ill probably go for some casmetic mods.