Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

Royal Purple in 6mt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Question Royal Purple in 6mt?

After searching the 4pages of posts on Royal Purple trans fluid I'm still at a loss for "the last word" on the stuff. It seems to be the only name brand synthetic available on Big Island..

A little background: My tranny works like most subarus. Wont go into first easily UNLESS i'm agressive with the double clutch/rev match. I'm only willing to do that when I autox once a month. (the ONLY time I need to shift into 1st while moving...)Otherwise, no grinds, no clunks, nuttin. I'm well versed in revmatching all shifts so my tranny has not been showing any typical signs of abuse. I have 18k on my STi, and I've changed the trannyand diff at 9K with the valvoline. It's ok for the most part. When I switched it, it actually felt worse for the first 1000miles then back to normal.

So why switch? Well, I'd like to get a little smoother shifting for Autox. Thats the main reason. Other than that, i want it to shift like my honda did.. (just kidding) I just want it to be a bit smoother overall. I realize its a subaru (my second one actually)

So, will this stuff ruin my synchros + tranny (if you believe the 'other' subaru board it seems like it) or can i try this stuff out. In essence, i'm fishing for other peoples experiences as of late. Seems like a lot of the posts in my search were outdated or 5mt related. (not much help with an STi)

thanks for the help y'all....
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i went back to dino and its working great

but that was in the 5 speed
Old 06-16-2005, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX WRB
I am running the royal purple in my jdm 6speed and its been fine for me i haven't tried anything else in it tho it sounds like you change your gear oil often enough that if you didn't like it you could just try something else next time around
Old 06-16-2005, 11:20 AM
vaj

sigma pi.. yeah, i read your posts.. gald the dino is working out for you. Was it a pita to get the royal purple flushed out when you switched back? Curious... Figured just drive it till it;s hot and let the drains rip..

and sdnrush..yeah, I change my fluids often.. lets me know if something is goin on..well, all the fluids except for coolant.. Haven't changed that yet. Waiting to buy some proper samco hoses for that system...

Well, i'll wait a few more days to see any more responses.. gotta bunch of suby folks coming over this weekend and we'll shoot the s#!@ and see. May try it. I've already got it in my garage just sitting (and the valvoline is cheap.)

thanks for your comments!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:50 PM
vaj

Whelp, put a couple hundred miles in on this stuff and SO FAR it seems to work fine. Mebbe the 6mt is more tolerant than the 5mt to synthetics...could be, could be. Tossed it in the rear diff too(it's what I had around...) and no probs at speed. AutoX'ed the car this weekend and the 2>1 shift was great. Little revmatch and slides right in. Just like the valvoline dino I had in there the last two changes but a bit smoother. Less syncro whine too. So, we'll see. Only time will tell with this type of thing...

Best part about all this? Railing on the car every weekend? no.. Changing the tranny+diff fluid and finding no metal shavings on the magnetic plugs AFTER railing on the car every weekend. lol