Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

wrecked my '05 wagon, received insurance check (was: What to do?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM Wrx Wagon
What to do?

I hit some ice coming home late last week...did signifigant damamge to car. Since its practically brand new, it wasnt enough to total it out. I got a check from the insurance company for 13,800 to "fix" the car with....question is...how to go about "fixing" it.

Couple pics of car as it is now....

New parts required:
4 wheels/tires
Front bumper and support
all the airbag stuff
drivers side skirt
fenders
whole rear suspension
front drivers side suspension
windshield
hood
engine frame or something like that (dont have estimate in front of me...their copier "broke"

There are other minor dents and bumps around the car that need to be fixed as well.

The estimate quoted roughly 8k worth of parts (2000 of which is for wheels/tires, 3000 for airbags) and 6k worth of labor.

So...should I pocket the 14k from insurance, part out the car/sell it wrecked.....just give the money to the body shop and tell them to put her back to stock....or find someone who will cut me a break on the body work, do all the rest of the work myself, and get some toys....like front mount, vf34/16g, pinks, and an aftermarket suspension (thinking Teins).

Opinions, comments?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
In my opinion a car never runs the same after its been in an accident. Especially a moderate-big one like yours.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Pretty much my feeling as well, any idea how much I could get for the car in the state it is currently at?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I'd pocket the check and part out the car, call around to local scrap/salvage yards and see what kind of money they will give you for interior parts in good condition. Who knows, maybe one of the yards will even buy the entire car off you.

As far as the estimate goes......$2k for wheel/tire + $3k for airbags + $6k for labor comes out to $11k......not $8k.

$2k for wheels and tires? from a body shop? are they ordering you some VOLKS or what?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by case1
I'd pocket the check and part out the car, call around to local scrap/salvage yards and see what kind of money they will give you for interior parts in good condition. Who knows, maybe one of the yards will even buy the entire car off you.

As far as the estimate goes......$2k for wheel/tire + $3k for airbags + $6k for labor comes out to $11k......not $8k.

$2k for wheels and tires? from a body shop? are they ordering you some VOLKS or what?

8K in parts includes what I listed in the initial post, the 2k and 3k was just to show how much of it was "insignifigant" stuff, when combined with the 6k in labor...that equal 14k.....the parts required are in the inital post.

Factory Subaru rims are 357, IIRC, apiece, and the OEM tires are 147 apiece....its actually more than 2000, I just rounded down.