WTF? Freeway + 45mph + not slow lane = moron

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
It is just something that I have noticed from driving 7 different cars.... I don't think it is as much about drag as it is about gearing... at 70 I would be in over drive/top gear and the RPM will be in the power band... they won't be high and burning too much gas and they won't be too low and just wasting the gas... somewhere between 2000 and 3500...
Jourdan, to make this be possible, your engine would have to be injecting less gas into your engine at 3500 rpm than it would at 2000 rpm. Power loss from gearing is a constant percentage regardless of the amount of power applied. If you can show me a car that uses less gas at 3500 rpm than at 2000 rpm, i'll buy the engine and sell the technology and be a billionaire overnight. I can happily take you through all the calc-based physics you care to stand to prove it.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
i drive 65 commuting and am always to the right, after 9pm i do 55 or even 50 at midnight.
speeding doesnt save you time on the freeway, speeding only saves you time when it means catching a string of green or red lights. so yeah i do my speeding from light to light.

anyone notice how stupid people are when they see a red light from a 1/4 mile away? they slam on their brakes at the last minute...i instantly ease on the brakes even a 1/4 mile away, and let the retards trigger the light, then when my open lane turns green, i floor it and wave as i pass them as they are still sitting there lol

I got pulled over for a headlight violation and cop wrote the wrong Vehicle Code...impeading traffic, which is a point on your record, I'm still trying to get my money back from higher insurance rates since the point has been on my record since march and i just found out about it a week ago. stupid cop.

but when youre doing 45 in top gear at 1400 rpms, you cant tell me you get better gas mileage at 70 doing 3300 rpms, that is simply injecting more than twice as much gas into the cylinders, and more drag.

Maybe its cuz your pedo van is shaped like a ***** and cuts thru the wind lol.
! AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

I commute on a 1 lane each way canyon road everyday. I get stuck behind cars and trucks of all kinds that are going 25-35mph under the speed limit. You'll come around a blind corner and bam there's a car going 30mph slower than you are.

Pisses me off as much as anything else I think. I mean people can't read the slow traffic move over signs, or turn outs or know that common decency says move over when you look up and see a car coming at you. Hell I've pulled over for cars when I'VE been going over 80.
samesies, with 15 minutes before i even hit 17

Its the worst thing to start your day off with. And it always happens when youre running behind..."damn im leaving 5 minutse late...its ok, i'll just put my tires to full use today...next corner some geo metro going 25 on a 35 or 45...F! move the F over B!

Oh and the cars, and trucks mostly, that think its ok to go 80mph on straights, but when a 35 mph turn comes, they can only take it at 25 and they still dont pull over even tho youre a car and can go 80 on the straights and 60 in the turns.

I like when a painted turnout comes up and the people continue to stay left...i've had some pretty hairy passes on the gravel lined asphalt turnouts lol

I could go all day on this subject.

i started to wave people to pull over, even from the opposite direction lol, so if i see a train of oncoming cars, i will lean out my window and point to the shoulder...as the cars behind them smile and wave thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by PaulSTI
Jourdan, to make this be possible, your engine would have to be injecting less gas into your engine at 3500 rpm than it would at 2000 rpm. Power loss from gearing is a constant percentage regardless of the amount of power applied. If you can show me a car that uses less gas at 3500 rpm than at 2000 rpm, i'll buy the engine and sell the technology and be a billionaire overnight. I can happily take you through all the calc-based physics you care to stand to prove it.
I was talking about boging down the engine (usually you down shift when that occurs)... the idea that when you are driving along at 1500 RPM and then you floor it and the RPMs slowly increase... When the pedal is to the floor more gas is sent into the engine without a rapid increase of RPMS... Totally different phenominon...
Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Lboogie
Damn HyperMilers
an effective (yet dicky) thing you can do is to go around them, and then get in front of them. from that point forward, you have a choice of possible options...

brake check them (not actual hard on the brakes)
lift off the gas and go slower than they were going

there are other tactics which you can employ, but none are legal.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I remember back in the 80s or VERY early 90s there were signs on the freeway that said "Save gas, drive slower"... It never made sense to me, are you really saving gas if you're going slower? I mean, if you're going faster you're getting to your location in a faster period of time so of course its going to use more gas over the same period of time but you'll get to where you're going much quicker so it evens out, no? I can see saving a tiny bit of gas, but if you're going 10mph faster I don't see the harm.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:48 AM

Oh, also, let me mention that slow drivers in the fast lane is my biggest pet peeve right after people who drive with their high beams right behind you. I love getting behind folks that have their high beams on and turning my after market high beams onto their car... Holy illumination batman!

When I lived in Germany (and this is still the law) you would get a ticket for clogging the passing lane. Actually, it's the law everywhere in Europe, but especially enforced in Germany. The left lane on regular streets is also deemed as a passing lane and you're only to use it for passing/faster traffic, so that doesn't just apply to the autobahn even though normal streets have speed limits unlike most of the Autobahn.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
There are times that I wished my car had a battering ram on it. Y'know, just to give that really slow person in front a little reminder he's slowing everyone (i.e., me) down.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 AM

Whats worse, someone driving really slow in the fast lane on the freeway where you can't pass them because they are going the same speed as the slow lane cars, or when there is an UBER slow car in front of you on a twisty mountain road and wont let you pass even when there are passing zones where they can pull off to let you by? As annoying as that is, you can still pass them on the twisty roads, but the freeway is beyond annoying!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STI
Originally Posted by brucelee
Oh, also, let me mention that slow drivers in the fast lane is my biggest pet peeve right after people who drive with their high beams right behind you. I love getting behind folks that have their high beams on and turning my after market high beams onto their car... Holy illumination batman!

When I lived in Germany (and this is still the law) you would get a ticket for clogging the passing lane. Actually, it's the law everywhere in Europe, but especially enforced in Germany. The left lane on regular streets is also deemed as a passing lane and you're only to use it for passing/faster traffic, so that doesn't just apply to the autobahn even though normal streets have speed limits unlike most of the Autobahn.
Just to be clear i think slow drivers in the fast lane are retarded too. I just wanted to us mathematics to show why driving slower does indeed save gas.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Car Info: dc2
i'm 400 away from vtec @ 80mph =(

4k @ 80mph
3.5k~~ @ 65

so i drive prettty slow 65 or less on slowest or 2nd slowest =(

=( i seem like im wasting so much gas but ppl have posted about running 35+ mpg on freeway/highway going 80... =S wtfff
Old 10-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by not12listen
an effective (yet dicky) thing you can do is to go around them, and then get in front of them. from that point forward, you have a choice of possible options...

brake check them (not actual hard on the brakes)
lift off the gas and go slower than they were going

there are other tactics which you can employ, but none are legal.
I love #2

i also get in front of them, then with two feet, gas it as i put my brake on to trigger the lights lol, sometimes it freaks them out.

But yeah i like getting in front of them in the fast lane and go even slower, so they ged fed up and go to the middle lane to pass as i floor it...i continue to do this until they stay right.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I was talking about boging down the engine (usually you down shift when that occurs)... the idea that when you are driving along at 1500 RPM and then you floor it and the RPMs slowly increase... When the pedal is to the floor more gas is sent into the engine without a rapid increase of RPMS... Totally different phenominon...
Name:  5e4664ffw5454wyzp4.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  14.2 KB

PLUS! You can't even spell PHENOMENON

Last edited by rau; 10-07-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 PM

lawl
Old 10-07-2008, 01:03 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
lawl
you like that don't you?

Quick Reply: WTF? Freeway + 45mph + not slow lane = moron