Window Tint Fix it ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by 04GG
I am pretty sure the law actually states that a doctor's note is not a valid reason. So if you went to court, just like with your douche cop, it depends on the judge. I have had judges who were cool and others who were asshats. I've gotten cops who weren't dicks too, but every once in a while you get one of those. When I went to get my stuff signed off, the officer said "Was it a guy who looked like this...?" and I said "YES". He said. "Yeah, I know that guy, he's a jerk about stuff like that."
Unless dated before a certain date that the law changed I can't remember specifics.

Yeah I got pulled over once by SFPD motorcycle for no reg no license plates and tint when the windows were already down. He harassed me saying that I'm avoiding the law I need to have registration etc. (My car was a texas transfer and took a while to get everything moved here but was still within the 90 days of the temp reg). Also he added anything bigger than 1.5 inches on the exhaust is illegal (Called bs on him named multiple cars that are factory and bigger than that size) Then he proceeds to lecture me about my friend blocking him in, actually you cut him off and split traffic. Anyways, my gf at the time, her dad is SFPD and is on the honda unit..... He looked at the ticket took it into work and had the guy on leave for a while. He also commented that guys a dick he has no rights to do this to you or any other persons he's pulled over.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Ya it must of been his other "violations". Cop was a real *****. Gave him a fix it ticket for no front plate and for his address on his license not being current. Didn't even know you could get a fix it ticket for address being incorrect on your license.

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Did he have it on his windshield?

I can tell you that your friend either got ripped off or is 100% full of **** on exactly what violation he received.

Unless the tripled the fees since 2011. I try to keep up on my codes.

VC26708: Unlawful material on vehicle windows. $114 I think is the fine. Plus fees depending on the county it goes form about $178-194.

So unless he got some other fee or a MULTIPLE of fines there is no way in hell it cost him $600.

There are very few fines that cost over $600 and all of them have to do with things like passing red lights on school buses or parking in handicap or fire spots.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Not sure if you guys know this, but it is actually illegal to have the front passenger and driver's side windows tinted.

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by chewy88
Not sure if you guys know this, but it is actually illegal to have the front passenger and driver's side windows tinted.

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

That is what this entire thread has been about???

And you're actually wrong. You can have a very slight tint LEGALLY in CA. Funny part of that is the CHP site is wrong. LOL!

You can have a clear tint on there to limit the ultraviolet light.
You can have a coating that lets at least 88% of the light through.
Per federal regulations it has at least allow 70% of the light through.

And the kicker is you have to have the paperwork from the installer with all of their information stating it's legal.

Read the vehicle codes and the REAL laws... not what some over simplified website says.

VC 26708(d)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Ray to add onto your post.

-A window already is 70% of visible light transferred so technically any shade is illegal except as you said a clear film or a color like the mercedes get only if it is from factory.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Heedz
Ray to add onto your post.

-A window already is 70% of visible light transferred so technically any shade is illegal except as you said a clear film or a color like the mercedes get only if it is from factory.
That I did not know. I thought it was 88 from the factory. Interesting.

For the most part as long as it's not to dark you're good. 50 is a pretty safe bet. Once you start talking 35 your risk goes up but it's o.k. 20 it's only a matter of time. 5... you're just asking to get a gun drawn on you.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 PM

That I did not know. I thought it was 88 from the factory. Interesting.

For the most part as long as it's not to dark you're good. 50 is a pretty safe bet. Once you start talking 35 your risk goes up but it's o.k. 20 it's only a matter of time. 5... you're just asking to get a gun drawn on you.
Ehhhh Having 5% all around with 50% windshield, only had to deal with the po po once a year. I did have 35% on the windshield at one time, never again. I dropped my fronts down to 30% haven't had one bit of hassle so far. I do miss the 5% and staring people down with just eyes showing
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Heedz
Ehhhh Having 5% all around with 50% windshield, only had to deal with the po po once a year. I did have 35% on the windshield at one time, never again. I dropped my fronts down to 30% haven't had one bit of hassle so far. I do miss the 5% and staring people down with just eyes showing
You're nuts!

You get by and my wife driving a bone stock VW golf gets popped for tint... she had 50 I think it was on the fronts. WTF! LOL!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRB WRX
by CHP? or City? CHP would make sense, they all had their hearts stolen in san francisco. City arent as bad though.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM
General Pimpin'

Yeah. This **** chp lady we have out here. I've had 3 encounters with her. One time she passed my wife in order to pull me over and give me a speeding ticket. Another time she came out on a call that I made and talked to the other person in spanish the whole time. I kept saying.... I don't speak spanish. She finished taking his statement and told me tough **** basically... said this guys says you were following too closely.

What really happened was that I was literally on my way back from getting a brand new windshield installed and this asshat pulled out in front of me from the fields and dropped a huge pile of rock and mud in my way and busted my windshield.

But hey what do I know.

Another time she got me for expired tags. Followed me for a LONG time. I just held up the ticket I just got for it and said... care to write me another ticket? Didn't even roll my window all the way down.

I hate this chick. She's tried to get me a few other times but I have peeps that drop me lines and tell me when she's hiding out by my house.

She got a friend of mine in her drive way for window tint. Literally pulled in to her drive way and gave her the ticket.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I forgot about my ticket. The sign off due date is this Thursday
Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM

Yeah. This **** chp lady we have out here. I've had 3 encounters with her. One time she passed my wife in order to pull me over and give me a speeding ticket. Another time she came out on a call that I made and talked to the other person in spanish the whole time. I kept saying.... I don't speak spanish. She finished taking his statement and told me tough **** basically... said this guys says you were following too closely.

What really happened was that I was literally on my way back from getting a brand new windshield installed and this asshat pulled out in front of me from the fields and dropped a huge pile of rock and mud in my way and busted my windshield.

But hey what do I know.

Another time she got me for expired tags. Followed me for a LONG time. I just held up the ticket I just got for it and said... care to write me another ticket? Didn't even roll my window all the way down.

I hate this chick. She's tried to get me a few other times but I have peeps that drop me lines and tell me when she's hiding out by my house.

She got a friend of mine in her drive way for window tint. Literally pulled in to her drive way and gave her the ticket.
Thats so lame man... they need to just stay on the freeway and pull over ****ty drivers and people doing their makeup while driving... i say people because i live near SF and guys do it too... which is so incredibly sad.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM

I've spotted CHP lurking in my neighborhood, that's the sheriff's job. I have a sneaky video of one coming up my street stops at my driveway, looks, then does a u-turn and keeps looking.

@Ray, yeah I usually drive 50% of the time with my windows down, doesn't matter if its a tinted car or not cause I do the same with my parent's cars, I just like fresh air I guess. It's rare I'll get popped by a sheriff since most of them recognize my car, I locked my self out once and had my chief help me break into my car, the sheriffs were right there, didn't comment once about my 5%. All they told me, get another key son, hide it.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Awesome, I don't have that problem but if I did I'd totally set up a camera, would be funny if you could confront that officer with the video, or just send it in to chp, I don't know what their rules are regarding that stuff though.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by SubbieMedic
Awesome, I don't have that problem but if I did I'd totally set up a camera, would be funny if you could confront that officer with the video, or just send it in to chp, I don't know what their rules are regarding that stuff though.
What are you referring to?

Anything that is recorded in your car is your property so you can do whatever you want with it, it's listed in the same section CVC 26708 or whatever it is.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Fix it ticket