Tint law

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:55 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Tint law

Anyone know what the window tint law is in CA? I've read that it is illegal to have any tint other than the factory tint on your front windows. I've also read that you can have tint on your front windows as long as it allows 70% of the light through. I just got a fix it for my tint and wanted to know before I proceeded with ripping it off. If it is legal to have some tinting on the front windows where can I get it checked to see if I fall within the legal limits.

BTW the fix it came from a CHP that followed me for a mile going 65 mph. Then pulled me over asked if my exhaust was stock... which it is. Then checked under my hood for mods. I drive a stock STi for now and he couldn't find anything wrong so he slapped me with a fix it ticket . Be careful driving around the San Mateo/Redwood City area... done venting.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:51 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
that sucks man. as far as tint goes, I think its something like 75-80% light, which means you are allow to have a UV tint and that is all.

Because of this I try to make my car not attrack too much attention. USDM STi pink springs so no slamming, Stromung twin tip catback, no tint, and I drive a wagon. I will get tint soon, but I am leaving it off the front windows. It simply isn't worth the hastle as I can not re-do it myself.

I hate cops. I do beleive in law, and I obey them for the most part, but I think their time could be spent doing more worth while tasks.

To the officers on this board
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

# Percentage Numbers represent amount of light transmission.
Example : 35% means 35% light transmission.
Also known as VLT or Visible Light Transmission.

# Film - Amount of light that is required to pass through window film.
Example : 35% Film means that the film must pass through at least 35% visible light.

# Net - Amount of light that is required to pass both the car window and the tint film.

# MPV - A vehicle such as a recreation vehicle such as a pickup truck including GMC Suburbans, Nissan Pathfinders, Extra Cab Trucks

# When info is given, it is in the format of :
Windshield / Front Side Windows / Rear Side Windows / Rear-Back Window / Year Passed

Where :
NO - No Film is Allowed
ANY - Any degree of tinting is allowed
AS-1 - On the windshield, there is a mark that says "AS-1" toward the top that defines that the tint cannot go below.
UnDef - Nothing defined in the law.
FMVSS 205 - A regulation that is found in the Code of Federal Regulation. The regulation is found in 49 CFR 571.205
35 % Film - Light that is measured on the film alone
35 % Net - Light that is measured both through the film and car window

California
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1987 ?

Note : If the rear-back window is tinted, left and right rear-view mirrors are required.

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law.