Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

To Tint or not to Tint, That is the Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:42 AM

Car Info: Red 04 WRX Wagon
To Tint or not to Tint, That is the Question

I drive a red '04 WRX wagon.

I would like to know anyone's experience after tinting their windows. Did you experience more attention or pull overs by the police?

I want to get the rear windows & the little side windows towards the back of my X tinted but I don't want to get hassled by the police.

Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

Happy and safe holidays,
Nobody burns you like the Baron
Old 12-23-2003, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi
As long as you don't tint your front windows, you shouldn't have a problem. Personally, I don't tinting my windows. The car just looks cleaner that way, IMO.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:10 AM
bri

it depends on many many things, including what the legal limit is in your state, the neighborhoods through which you drive and the temperaments of the cops there, how much like an F1 racer you drive, etc etc. in the broadest generality, through nj i've found about half the cops you run into will pay more attention to tinted windows. they really will pull you over if the front is tinted (illegal). there are much more noticeable mods than tint ie exhaust, bodywork, LED lights. the rear windows are much less attention grabbing than full tint all around, especially if you have ~50% tint.

i wouldn't bother with tint. yes it looks cool for a couple years but any tint will fade after 4 years even if it doesn't peel (from experience).
Old 12-23-2003, 11:30 AM

Just do Lie a 45 % its not dark at all and it looks classy. Nit that limo tint doesnt, before everyone jumps on my case. I like the lighter look. And if you live like in NY, Boston or Jersey, they seem to like to pull you over for any drk tint. They figure you have something to hide. Here in Florida, you could probably paint your windows black and they could care less. laters Mikal
Old 12-23-2003, 01:07 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
I tinted my PSM wagon all the way around (38%) and love it. No hassle yet (knock on wood) but hey, it's a wagon! There are different kinds of tint as well...I have Ultima tint, which is gauranteed for life not to peel or turn purple, and it looks very sharp as well. The standard charcoal turns purple after a few years and bubbles like crazy.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
50front/30rear seems to be a good combo.. it's what i have too

if you are comfortable with a darker tint and it's legal then get 35/15 or something similar. When you goto the tint shop ask to sit in the owners/workers cars to get the feel. <--that's what i did

eric
Old 12-23-2003, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
I have had no problems with my tint. I have about 35% all the way around and it looks great. In my opinion WRX's look pretty sweet with tinted windows.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 01' RS Sedan silverthorne
I'd get em for practical reasons (blocking out annoying sunlight).... but damn those tint laws! looks pretty cool if not too dark, otherwise just looks like ur a terrorist or rap-star wannabe.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
I have my back 3 tinted limo and I have my front 2 tinted 35% and I love it. At night it is kinda hard to see the actual cars but you can easily see their headlights. I have a "friend" who can write off fix-it tickets though, so I am in the clear if I do get pulled over. Good Luck

WRX Rush

P.S. If you want pics just search the gallery for "Bertha" Thats my WRX's name

Last edited by WRX Rush; 12-25-2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:56 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
tint is good to keep out the sunlight and heat.
just don't get the illegal tint. then there won't be any trouble. if you get the really dark stuff, which is pretty damn nice, then you will run into trouble.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: a Ford
I love my tint. I have 35% in the front and 25% in the rear. So far, no trouble from cops. i got it to prepare myself for the summers.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:48 PM

Car Info: Subaru
ida say tint it looks better IMO
Old 12-27-2003, 03:48 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
definately tint, get it done by a reputable shop they'll keep it legal and no bubbles or fade over time.

Quick Reply: To Tint or not to Tint, That is the Question