Things to do while in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
^^ +1, that was 95% of my trip!

I'd also add:
Go to the basement of any of the big malls. Japanese food courts > US food courts
For Akihabara, check out a Maid Cafe! There's also some good used video game shops scattered around
Sunshine 60 in Ikebukuro also has a good view of Mt. Fuji + the city
For Tsukiji, you gotta get there early(5am), otherwise the activity dies down and all the good sashimi is sold out of the nearby restaurants.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
^^^
Great minds think alike!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
My usual list, with a few edits to reflect the changing times:
Go to Hakone town near Mt. Fuji for an overnight stay at a hotel with an onsen (natural hot spring), your achey, cold body will thank you for it (guess you already know this one )
Hit the West side of Tokyo for a fun night: Start in Shibuya, party on to Shinjuku, then party on to Harajuku, then end the night in style in Ikebukuro. By the time you're done in Ikebukuro, it should be about 8 to 10 hours later if you're partying hard enough
Go window-shopping in Ginza. Don't buy anything unless it's really cheap, b/c you're probably getting ripped off. There's also a shop that sells nothing but PIAA merchandise on the main drag -- worth checking out (note: I don't know if the PIAA shop is still around or not).
Head out to Daikoku Futo at night. Look for car club and hashiriya meets in the parking lots near diners and the waterfront.
Hang out in Odaiba. Check out Decks shopping center and the Sega Joypolis (indoor snowboarding whoopee!!) -- looks like you already covered this one.
Go to Yokohama and explore. Ride the ferris wheel for a great view. Miss Chinese food? Go to Chinatown!
Visit Yoyogi Park on a Sunday to check out the cosplayers and visual rockers, b-boys, goth lolitas, etc. Stop by Meiji Shrine if so inclined, it's nearby.
Go to Tsujiki Fish Market early in the AM (but not Wednesday, it's closed every other Wednesday) and prepare to be amazed.
Hit up the clubs in Roppongi and be dazzled (just watch out for yakuza and African hustlers)
Visit some shrines and temples if you like; I suggest Asakusa Kanon Temple and its shopping arcade.
Go to the Imperial Palace on the Sumida River and take a cruise if you like.
Check out the view from the top of Tokyo Tower (not as good as the Yokohama ferris wheel IMHO). Or if you wanna save a few bucks, go to the federal government building in Shinjuku instead, since the observation deck there is free.
Visit Super Autobacs.
Watch kabuki.
If you wanna shop for electronics, forget buying in Akihabara since things are over-priced there. Find any branch of Sakura-ya and do your shopping there.
Go shopping in Shinjuku.
Don't bother visiting Ueno Park. It's kinda disappointing and the zoo is nothing compared to zoos here in the States.

P.S. I like how whenever anyone asks what there is to do in Japan, half the answers are legit and half are stupid BS
great list, ive been to hakone everytime i go to japan, well worth it..and to add on the view list, go to roppongi hills and go up to that observation deck, great view at night..my grandparents lived in hiroo, so shibuya was daytime, roppongi at night haa
Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
reading this thread makes me want to go back, I found round trip tix for only $450...
Old 07-31-2009, 04:43 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
Originally Posted by LGT Mark
reading this thread makes me want to go back, I found round trip tix for only $450...
wahh, that's cheap. Do it. And i went to Nissan HQ in Ginza only to find that they moved the show floor to a newly opened Gallery in Yokohama. *sigh*
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
3500 for my family round trip(!!??!!). ugg.

i got to visit once on my father-in-laws dime. it was epic. we (my wife and i) would love to go back soooooooo badly. i skied in the old indoor ski arena. what a trip. also got to go to nagano a year after the olympics.

the best part of te trip was the jdm subies, nissans, honduhs, mitsus, etc, etc. my mother-in-law was facinated everytimei took 50 pics of a evo iv or an r32. with regular film camera!!!! no digi back then.....

wow. i would love to go back for a few weeks....or months...hell..a few years...anyone hiring???

haha

josh