rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Originally Posted by porTURBOer
i feel you on the weight part. i put on a bunch right before last season (and a little this season as well). but, the best part is doing squats and jumping squats to get ready for the season.

good example is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lPrU5msoeg

do these every morning or evening until it hurts, and by the time you are sliding down that powder you will feel much stronger and will last longer.
how many of these do you do normally? I have baby duty most of the time i'm not working so goin to the gym is out for me. so what i have been doing is

everyday i do
50 crunches
20 leg lifts
50 crunches
20 leg lifts
60 crunches
30 leg lifts hold last lift as long as i can.

I might try the squat jump thing though instead of that^^^ squat jump seems easier.

sometimes i will put my son on the end of my legs and see hwo many times i can lift him. he weighs about 25 pounds and i can lift him about 15-20 times. he thinks its fun and i get a work out

and every other day after that routine I ride the exercise bike for about 30 mins

7 min medium pace
3 min hard pace
8 min medium pace
2 min hard pace
9 min medium pace
1 min hard as i can.

i can do the bike while my boy watches an episode of little einsteins on disney channel
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
what would be a good mountain to run that isnt hella advanced.

Something with "flatter" long runs. I am sure you have been to boreal. I cant recall the name off hand but you know that run to the very far left (if you are looking at the mountain) that is perfect. It has a couple steep dives but manageable, gradual down slope though, although the end of that run sucks. (obviously i want something deeper than the bunny they have there).

Also it has to be within a half hour give or take of boreal. it take sme about 3-31/2 hours to get to boreal. with non-****ty roads.
Sugar Bowl is fun. They have options (park, crazy off piste, steeps, trees, hiking). I had a pass there for a couple of years and it was cool! Don't know about 400 unless you're young, student or whatever...just not 39 like me! Check the site Sugar Bowl

Season Pass Info

Last edited by Lowball; 11-07-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by boardoholic
Nah, I hear your concern, Ray. Obviously, there is a difference when it's Dave Chappelle (me a la crackhead Tyrone Biggums) and Charlie Murphy (you ) riding boards sized up for their weight & smashing down Home Run or Snow Valley.
That's why you go with the Fish 160 and not the Fish 156!!!!

But for reference...I was about 220lbs and still 6'-0" and I rode a Fish 156 (a demo that I brought along for the trip) on a heli trip in Canada (Whistler Heli). Never ridden the board before and did 11 runs on a blue bird day no problems and was blown away...that's why I got the 160 when I got home. Sick!

Last edited by Lowball; 11-07-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lowball
Sugar Bowl is fun. They have options (park, crazy off piste, steeps, trees, hiking). I had a pass there for a couple of years and it was cool! Don't know about 400 unless you're young, student or whatever...just not 39 like me! Check the site Sugar Bowl

Season Pass Info
sugar bowl maybe if i was still 22. missed out by a few years. $900 though is a bit much.

maybe i will season pass heavenly. i might go up and try it to see. my main reason for "boring hill" as everyone calls it, is no one i know goes as much as me and if they do they are cheap and only want boring hill.

the wife can way out-ski me anywhere we go but she doesnt go often enough to get a pass. but damn, she looks hella professional when she goes out.

and distance.

I am gonna have to do some reasearch
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
is there a season pass discount?..cuz im down for a season pass at heavenly..I go to boreal a lot but its cheap in general on fridays since its 20bucks for college students so no pass needed there =)
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
what would be a good mountain to run that isnt hella advanced?
I'm w/ Lowball on the SugarBowl recommendation considering your drive fr: the upper North Bay. If you fall into the category of the Young Adult or Student, this is the place. Otherwise, my only other suggestion is one of the Double Whammy's I listed in my long-@$$ post. Although the Heavenly pass is affordable, too, as a mountain, it's more than you're looking for -and- it's the farthest distance of any of my recommendations.

Oh, and other than the things you listed that you're looking for in a "home" resort, it might help to know a couple other things.

* Realistically (I read that you're a pop & hubby), how often are you gonna be heading up... weekly, every other wknd, once a month?

* And are these mainly day trips only on wknd's b/c of family, work, etc. commitments?

* If you went w/ a particular pass, do you have folks you can regularly head up with?

EDIT>>> Bah! I got distracted in the middle of writing this. I noticed what you just posted a bit ago about your age. Sugar Bowl is out then.

Also, don't forget... these expos are coming up where they usually offer the better pre-season deals on passes!

Last edited by boardoholic; 11-07-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM

* Realistically (I read that you're a pop & hubby), how often are you gonna be heading up... weekly, every other wknd, once a month?

* And are these mainly day trips only on wknd's b/c of family, work, etc. commitments?

* If you went w/ a particular pass, do you have folks you can regularly head up with?

EDIT>>> Bah! I got distracted in the middle of writing this. I noticed what you just posted a bit ago about your age. Sugar Bowl is out then.

Also, don't forget... these expos are coming up where they usually offer the better pre-season deals on passes!
I will probably be headign up every weekend, perhaps every other, but i have been known to go up on a whim in the middle of the week.

More than likely day trips, sometimes like last year, if the in-laws can babysit we will go up for a weekend and stay in reno for a night of gamblin and drinkin and snowboard for 2 days come home sunday night kinda thing. usually i will leave early morning, ride ALL day, come home that night, and as tradition goes stop off at chipotle on the way home.

And my main reason for getting the boreal pass is liek i said above, no one i know goes as much as me, i do a lot of trips but its not the same people each time, thats why i was thinkin boreal cuz for the people who wanna just hang out and ride the usually want boreal cuz its a little more mellow and cheaper.

as far as the expos go, i am trying my hardest. they have a couple soon up here in rosa, first x amount of people in get a free lift ticket for certain days type deal. i plan on snagging a couple of those. maybe i can get some to some fun mountains and see what they ar elie before i commit to a pass.

I really appreciate everyones help with the input on board tuning and mountain hints. thats why i like i-club. Nabisco is a joke, and clubwrx is full of a bunch of Douchey McBaggs ( no offense if any of you are on there)
Old 11-07-2008, 10:59 PM
VIP Member

I will probably be headign up every weekend, perhaps every other, but i have been known to go up on a whim in the middle of the week.

More than likely day trips, sometimes like last year, if the in-laws can babysit we will go up for a weekend and stay in reno for a night of gamblin and drinkin and snowboard for 2 days come home sunday night kinda thing. usually i will leave early morning, ride ALL day, come home that night, and as tradition goes stop off at chipotle on the way home.

And my main reason for getting the boreal pass is liek i said above, no one i know goes as much as me, i do a lot of trips but its not the same people each time, thats why i was thinkin boreal cuz for the people who wanna just hang out and ride the usually want boreal cuz its a little more mellow and cheaper.

as far as the expos go, i am trying my hardest. they have a couple soon up here in rosa, first x amount of people in get a free lift ticket for certain days type deal. i plan on snagging a couple of those. maybe i can get some to some fun mountains and see what they ar elie before i commit to a pass.

I really appreciate everyones help with the input on board tuning and mountain hints. thats why i like i-club. Nabisco is a joke, and clubwrx is full of a bunch of Douchey McBaggs ( no offense if any of you are on there)
Have you ever been to Donner Ski Ranch?

It's on the back side of Boreal and on the way to Sugar Bowl...it's a fun little low budget resort and sometimes you can sneak over to Boreal and get a few runs in...I use to go there all the time when I 1st started boarding just because it was cheap and fun. Only thing is they don't have any high-speed chairs and it's not very big...but you could always get a pass to Donner and then hit up Sugar Bowl every now and then or if Donner's on wind hold or something...It's the 1st resort that allowed snowboarding in CA if I'm not mistaken...Donner Ski Ranch

Season Pass $299!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 PM

Yeah i was thinkn about trying to ge tone of those double whammy's too, i figure thats more bang for the buck. but i wanna try out the places first you know. i can say the onyl place i didnt liek out of the places i have been is squaw.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Dayum! Pulling out the old school!

Donner Ski Ranch will always have a li'l place in my <3. Years ago when I first went to Bear Valley, it reminded me of Donner. Both spots have(had) that great Mom & Pop vibe! I remember getting my "airs" dialed in @DSR w/ their triple-set of small hits on the frontside. I took countless laps unloading @the "early stop" on the summit chair. *sniff sniff* Ah... the memories.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 PM

Is Donner ski ranch the lifts you can see on the very backside of boreal. i always thought that was part of boreal but i never knew how to get over there.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
VIP Member

Yup! Both resorts "@$$es" share a border. As Lowball said, it's small (but a touch bigger than Boreal actually). To get there, you take the 'Norden' exit. It's the one before the Boreal Ridge/Castle Pk exit. Sugar Bowl, Soda Springs & a X-country resort can be accessed via this exit.

Like we mentioned, really mellow vibe. A 'no frills' experience. <-- not necessarily a bad thing either.

Last edited by boardoholic; 11-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 AM

Car Info: EQ tuned limited 06 WRB wagon
Apologies if its been brought up previously, but anyone here ever go out to Shasta?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:57 AM
VIP Member

That's too "Far Nor CA" for my blood! What's it like?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 AM

Car Info: EQ tuned limited 06 WRB wagon
That's too "Far Nor CA" for my blood! What's it like?
What can I say? I'm like an hour and a half south of Oregon currently, that's pretty far north, right?!

But yeah, its actually pretty fun, I really like Shasta...best part is that its an easy weekend drive from me (hence the whole stuck in Humboldt until spring dealie).

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.