Redwood Touge Road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Speeding on the freeway and cutting traffic is way more dangerous.

I think you can drive redwood plenty briskly while keeping it safe for everyone. There definitely is a few turns on *$**hurst that you can see very far on, and night you can see lights from far. Anyways been driving it since I was 16 in my 5 liter never had a problem. Don't be an idiot on the roads.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Don't be an idiot on the roads.
Exactly.

I'm sure most of us are guilty of "spirited" driving. Doing stupid crap is what makes it dangerous; crossing double yellows or overdriving an unfamiliar road.

This thread and that video should be deleted.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 2008 WRX
Why delete the thread? There's no reason not to have this discussion. The chances of LEO presence on Redwood Road are the same, regardless. Honestly, cars don't attract nearly as much attention as the motorcyclists do.

Driving sensibly, means keeping one's speed in check to accomodate for blind corners, gravel, deer, or someone coming across the center line to pass a cyclist in a really bad place. There is no "safe" speed, regardless of what the speed limit is. A competent driver in a competent car can drive briskly, have fun, and not put anyone excessively at risk.

In honor of this thread, I took a pass on Redwood Road today on the way home, mostly to check out some new star specs. I had a blast. I passed a bunch of cyclists, some debris, and some dude crossing over the centerline in the oncoming lane. Nobody died and fun was had.

There have been a few incidents in the past couple of years a quick review of news clippings will reveal the cause as someone of a judgment impaired age (19-21) driving well past their limit in a ****ty car. The last guy that died out there, Joe Montoya, was a really awesome dude. He got nailed by a 19yo kid in an Accord on a joyride. No amount of *****ing in this thread is going to prevent something like that.

Last edited by halbritt; 04-18-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Originally Posted by halbritt
Why delete the thread? There's no reason not to have this discussion. The chances of LEO presence on Redwood Road are the same, regardless. Honestly, cars don't attract nearly as much attention as the motorcyclists do.

Driving sensibly, means keeping one's speed in check to accomodate for blind corners, gravel, deer, or someone coming across the center line to pass a cyclist in a really bad place. There is no "safe" speed, regardless of what the speed limit is. A competent driver in a competent car can drive briskly, have fun, and not put anyone excessively at risk.

In honor of this thread, I took a pass on Redwood Road today on the way home, mostly to check out some new star specs. I had a blast. I passed a bunch of cyclists, some debris, and some dude crossing over the centerline in the oncoming lane. Nobody died and fun was had.

There have been a few incidents in the past couple of years a quick review of news clippings will reveal the cause as someone of a judgment impaired age (19-21) driving well past their limit in a ****ty car. The last guy that died out there, Joe Montoya, was a really awesome dude. He got nailed by a 19yo kid in an Accord on a joyride. No amount of *****ing in this thread is going to prevent something like that.
I think *now* this thread can be closed... you sir, nailed the proverbial nail on the ****ing head!

BTW, I love my star specs too! Sticky as hell, but watch out... a tad slick in cold or cold/damp mornings!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Joe Montoya, I have known for years in motorcycle racing. Was a great guy.

JAC, Its all good. I heard the CHP is going to be out there throwing the checkered flag there over the next month.

There are the people that know. And the people that find out. And well... We have a few that will "Find Out"
Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by slugrx
oh yeah oldguy i just remembered when you were on your old screename and at the OLD coco meets you used to brag about how you could make it from walnut creek to san jose in under 30minutes because you had a radar detector...

yeah lets drive 80mph+ smashin down 680 in traffic times, its so safe

you arent an angel behind the wheel so stop putting us down because you only drive REALLY fast on straights

haha take it to the track!!
Uh had to read the thread today and thought it was interesting there was no response to this?

uh old.guy?

I'm sure I sound like an idiot but I find it hard it weird that you have seen someone die out there, and it sounds like tons of people flying off the canyon and having near death experiences? I mean if anything it sounds like you are more a part of the problems here than anyone else, or at least around when they are happening what gives? are you bull****ting or do you spend lots of time in a place you consider dangerous?

I live less than 6 miles from pinehurst and have never seen anything out there, at a point was driving it everyday and often go there weekends. Also my best bud with a nice 848 who stops by everytime he goes out of course mentions anything he sees out there, seems 99% of the time its a newb motorcyclist trying to be a hero rider and ends up loosing a little skin. Anyways forgives my curiosities that came from reading the last few pages of the thread. I also must say anyone who finds frequent track days and the hotel and food often required cheap is a lucky dude.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 04-19-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
banned

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Also my best bud with a nice 848 who stops by everytime he goes out of course mentions anything he sees out there, seems 99% of the time its a newb motorcyclist trying to be a hero rider and ends up loosing a little skin.
Joe Montoya was very far from being a new guy on a motorcycle. at least use google once in a bit.

Ahh its not worth it. You all just do not get it.

Last edited by old.guy; 04-19-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by old.guy
It seems to me that some in this thread think they are superman or what not.
They do not think they could have a mechanical failure that could cause them to drift into head on traffic. As so on. Even road conditions change... And there is a ton of blind corners out there.

You think going to the track is a lot of time and expensive?? Just slam into someone on one of your runs. You'll be doing lots of time. And figuring out how to pay the family for killing or injuring one of them.
In the mean time. Sell your Subarus so the rest of i-club doesn't have to worry about getting their hood popped and harassed all the time. When you guys tear it up on the back roads, people call the police. When the police get tired. They come looking. And if they always hear Subarus.. Guess what. I dont have to build rockets.... I know what is going to happen. They can not remove the cars. But they can remove the parts. Using hood pops and ref's.

I'm pissed more at you guys for trying to justify your actions. I thought better of you all.
Maybe its an age thing.
Nothing beats the m5 owner that thinks he's going to get all road rage on you because he thinks his car makes more power then yours....

Had a late 50's guy try and pinch me off to get off the freeway. So I protected my lane space. He then thought he could run down the back of me in his m5. Well that didnt happen. So he followed me off the ramp. Then tried to follow me back up the ramp. (was on test drive) m5 was not able to catch me up the clover leaf ramp and faded till I let off thinking I proved my point.

The m5 driver and looked very his sporty sedan was left for dead..

Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
banned

Originally Posted by code3suby
There is a huge difference when you have a tail. And you roll on the throttle for a brief few seconds.

Vs

Tearing down a very dangerous road with many blind spots. And doing it non stop.

But what ever.. You all win. Carry on with your canyon runs.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I'd never advocate for wreckless driving... I'm with you, driving fast is for the track... that's how people die.

Everyone has messed around, but it does put others in danger. I see both sides, I think everyone is advocating for being safe drivers and knowing one's limits, and the limits of their vehicle. That being said, it doesn't mean that it's okay to drive through downtown SF Tokyo drift style just because you have skill.

I just remembered that post and noticed the irony lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
There is a huge difference when you have a tail. And you roll on the throttle for a brief few seconds.

Vs

Tearing down a very dangerous road with many blind spots. And doing it non stop.

But what ever.. You all win. Carry on with your canyon runs.
Haha did you watch the video posted on the first page? That's some very tame driving...you don't need to be mobbin hard to enjoy a twisty road its not about the speed

However, smashin on an m5 who tried to cut you off, I bet you got to triple digits on a freeway off/on ramp...if you or him had lost control or if he had rear ended you at that speed on a public freeway with cars all over the place...can you say multicar pileup?

And then you post a thread about how cool it was...don't you see how that's a bit ironic to us who just drive twisties once in a while?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Oh the IRONING.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by JAC Wagon
My point was just cause you dont always at 25mph up there, doesnt mean you cant have mechanical failure, tire blow out, animal jump out in front of you, or any other several things happen that you cant control happen while you are driving...
Yea and a blow out driving 75mph down the 5 would result in nothing? The argument is that since the road is winding that it's dangerous. Every road has dangers. You can't control what other people do. You all act like we are complete pieces of **** and go out intentionally to kill some other driver or push them off the road. I drive a winding road everyday in a stock forester. Do I drive over the limit, yes, am I out of control, no. Have I been caught for speeding on that road, yes, but so has a lot of other people. I witness on the regular people passing on double yellows, passing on corners and going over the double yellow around curves. Do I think some day one of those jackasses is gonna kill someone, yep. Is it me that is doing that driving, no! I can just as easily be killed on the freeway by some moron as I can on a winding road by some moron no matter what speed I'm driving.

And the last track day I went to, I used up my brakes completely. What a fun drive it was from Thunderhill to Fremont with no pad material and hearing metal on metal while I destroy my rotors. I went there with brake pads with 1000 miles on them. So lets see, $125 for the track day, $75 for a place to stay, $250 for new rotors, $80 for new pads and God knows how much for gas. Yet I can go out on a winding road, drive 5 to 10 over the limit, within boundaries, within my own lane, and only be gone for 2 hours and not have spend nearly as much money.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Car Info: A Dirty Car
Im unsure why the arguing is taking place.

If you cant agree that redwood/skyline is a technical drive when you are NOT going the speed-limit, than you should probably race cars for a living.
The road is fast in more than some spots, and blind in 75% of it. The bikers make every turn you take a hazard, and like I previously said, the kids from Castro Valley High think this is their race track/proving grounds.

There has been a time that I was headed up to the gun range on a Saturday or Sunday (cant remember) and I was dead stopped in traffic around a blind turn so I couldn't see what was going on. Once I finally got around I saw an ambulance loading some dude into the back, his motorcycle slammed into the rock wall, and a car that was also into the wall.. No bull****. And I guess until you see something like this, on a road like that, you don't really think about "is it worth it".... the answer is NO, but some will have to wait to find that out the hard way.

I'm not posting this to take sides, or say one or another is right. Just to prove that yes, it is a dangerous road. Yes, you driving recklessly puts EVERYONE else on the road at risk, and just please think about when is the right time and place. You can drive smart and have fun, its not all about going fast.. Too many good people dieing young now a days... Way too many.

-Ryan
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Yea and a blow out driving 75mph down the 5 would result in nothing? The argument is that since the road is winding that it's dangerous. Every road has dangers. You can't control what other people do.
WTF? Why in the **** are you attacking me? Did I say anything negative towards anyone in that post?

All I was saying is that you cant predict what will happen, and if you go looking for trouble sometimes you will find it.

I too have driven this road, both in my Suby and Motorcycle. Will I again? Possibly but not like some of the drivers I see up there. I too like a nice brisk pace through those corners, Im not screeching tires around a 25mph turn.

Please dont try to call me out when Im not personally attacking you or anyone for that matter.

Quick Reply: Redwood Touge Road?